What I'm looking for: An all-tube combo suitable for bedroom practice, jamming and gigging. I'd prefer something with 2 footswitchable channels because I love crystal clear cleans to heavy rock distortion and I need to be able to switch between the two quickly. Built-in effects aren't important, apart from reverb.

Budget: £1000 (slightly flexible)

What I play: Favourite artists include, SRV, AC/DC, Metallica, Jeff Healey, Rory Gallagher, Chuck Berry. So I like blues right up to hard rock and heavy metal. Anything death metal or beyond isn't really my thing.

What I'm considering: Orange Rocker30, Orange Rockerverb50, Marshall DSL401.

I was wondering what everyone's opinions are? I loved the Rocker30 but it has no built-in reverb and no FX loop, and reverb's about the only effect I care about. This is why I was considering the Rockerverb 50 which has both these features but I was worried couldn't get the full potential out of a 50W at home. I've tried both these amps at a store and loved them both.

The Marshall is cool because it's a lot of features plus full EQ for both it's channels which is handy, plus it's quite cheap. But I hear mixed reviews on the DSL, unfortunately unlike the Orange amps I haven't been able to try it out.

So if anyone can give me some good advice on what to go for it;d be much appreciated.

ALSO:
I can pick up JCM800s or 900s for quite cheap secondhand, I hear great things about these amps. Trouble is they're 50-100W, but picking one of these plus some sort of 212 cab up would leave me with left over money for a power attenuator. Would this be worth it?
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
i personally love orange amps, i just saved up enough for a tiny terror... i've heard you can go to an amp technician and install an effects loop on tube amps.. someone did that for their Tiny Terror..

also, there's reverb pedals. Why not grab one of those?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I know there are reverb pedals, but I hear these only sound good through FX loops. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by KingJustinian25
mesa F series? Mesa is awesome for clear cleans and heavy distortion

They apparently can't do metal without a pedal which I'm not sure if the OP has one or is interested in using one.

Check out an ENGL Thunder.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It seems a lot of those come back to blues. You might want to check out a fender, and then use a pedal to get yourself up to the more driven tones you would need for some of what you mentioned, particularly mettalica.

Just a thought.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by Raijouta
They apparently can't do metal without a pedal which I'm not sure if the OP has one or is interested in using one.

Check out an ENGL Thunder.

Sure they can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtYU4nB7Jpc

To the TS: how much do the Marshall 1974 reissues cost around there?
Quote by al112987
Sure they can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtYU4nB7Jpc

To the TS: how much do the Marshall 1974 reissues cost around there?

About £939, why?

What does everyone think of JCM2000s?
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
You may want to take a look, it doesn't have all the features in the world but tone-wise, it should get you what you want. Or take a look at Ceriatone's clone which is actually better and cheaper than the reissue but requires you to wire your own speakers if you want a combo (not difficult).

I think the JCM2000 DSL heads are pretty good but the 401 combo just doesn't do it for me, el84s really just do not suit that line, it makes the 401 sound overly fizzy and compressed. The 50/100 watt el34 based amps sound much better. Really with your budget you could probably look to buy a used DSL50 head and a 2x12 cab...

The JCM800s are a good option too, but some of them are a little hit and miss. You'd need to try it before you buy, but in general most people will agree that they sound better than the JCM2000 line. They make dual channel models which to me do not sound as good as the first run of single channel models, but if you need the features then it might be for you.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 19, 2008,