Hi, I'm the guitarist in my high school jazz ensemble. I'm playing an arrangement of hot house arranged by Eric Richards. I'm playing a les paul with .13 strings(once you thicken up, you'll never want to go back). My amp is a fender stage 1500. Anyways, all my jazz recording have clean guitar and in the recording has the guitar is inaudible. That or the tone imitates a sax to the nth degree. Anyways the music itself calls for both overdrive and chorus. The jazz ensemble director is a man who likes his guitar clean though, and I'm a guy who enjoys having the sustain and comfort overdrive would bring to my soloing style, so I would really like to get a good kind of tone so he won't say it's a bad idea while I'm fooling with it. Any suggestions? I'd prefrebly like to use the amp setting so both are built in. But I can't tell how much saturation the chorus should have, which type of distortion and how much because I don't know what the right sound is yet. Help?
Try a compressor if you have one, you can get that confident sound without too much distortion. Can't recommend settings sorry
Save the distortion for a rock or funk chart. Hot House is straight up be bop and everyone expects some nice be bop licks on a clean guitar. Really just boast the mids up and cut back on the treble and use your neck pickup and you should get a pretty good jazz tone considering you are using thick strings.
12 fret fury
im not to sure how distortion would sound in jazz but my best bet would be something kinda like Santana's tone, something reall smooth and creamy but not overpowering.
Quote by dreamnacho
Hi, I'm the guitarist in my high school jazz ensemble. I'm playing an arrangement of hot house arranged by Eric Richards. I'm playing a les paul with .13 strings(once you thicken up, you'll never want to go back). My amp is a fender stage 1500. Anyways, all my jazz recording have clean guitar and in the recording has the guitar is inaudible. That or the tone imitates a sax to the nth degree. Anyways the music itself calls for both overdrive and chorus. The jazz ensemble director is a man who likes his guitar clean though, and I'm a guy who enjoys having the sustain and comfort overdrive would bring to my soloing style, so I would really like to get a good kind of tone so he won't say it's a bad idea while I'm fooling with it. Any suggestions? I'd prefrebly like to use the amp setting so both are built in. But I can't tell how much saturation the chorus should have, which type of distortion and how much because I don't know what the right sound is yet. Help?

Not much of a jazz player, but try a tube screamer. It's a pretty light distortion and at higher settings sounds just like overdrive. I got a BBE green screamer that sounded really good for Jazz and Blues. Oh and you're gonna be paying $99+.
Stuffing corpses full of shit and faith
They bloviate about a future beyond the moon
To bring about another planets doom
To discover peaceful life
And beat a war-drum to it's tune
Unless my prayers are answered
And our end is coming soon.
actually this arrangement is a funk feel piece, and it calls for overdrive and chorus in the sheet music itself
If your director or co-ordinator wants it played differently to the sheet music, you play it differently to the sheet music.

My co-ordinator doesn't like jazz guitarists playing on all fours, so I only ever play on 2 and 4 even when the sheet music says all fours.

Funk or not, don't play distortion if he doesn't want distortion. Funk would usually call for a wah and a chorus though, which would be fine.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by mbsnowdog
Not much of a jazz player, but try a tube screamer. It's a pretty light distortion and at higher settings sounds just like overdrive. I got a BBE green screamer that sounded really good for Jazz and Blues. Oh and you're gonna be paying $99+.

Those are overdrive pedals, not distortion pedals.

But, I'd say just go with a compressor and chorus on the neck pickup and dial in more mids to cut through the mix.

If your amp has enough headroom, you could use a tubescreamer with the overdrive very low and the level high so you get more of a clean boost for your mids without going into distortion.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ