Does your drummer ever come up with the same boring rock&roll drum beat for songs when you bring them to the practice space?

I tried making more interesting beats for my drummer that also fit the song but he never practices them so we can't do the song.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Oh boy. I've had the same problem. Either your drummer is lazy, or lacks creativity. Like he just plays beats from songs he knows. Tell him to get it together or find another drummer.
Stuffing corpses full of shit and faith
They bloviate about a future beyond the moon
To bring about another planets doom
To discover peaceful life
And beat a war-drum to it's tune
Unless my prayers are answered
And our end is coming soon.
No, I've been pretty lucky to either play in groups with skilled drummers or drum myself and write parts that I find interesting.

Try introducing your drummer to music with more interesting drums. I know that hearing a new technique or style frequently inspires me to explore new aspects of my drumming.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Stereoaxis
Angus? is that you?

Yeah, seems about right.

If there is one thing i hate as a drummer, it's playing the standard rock beat. It's one of the most banal activities there is. Displacing a back beat every couple of measures isn't going to kill him. If he doesn't listen to or can't execute your suggestions, then you should just ditch him and find yourself a new drummer.
no i havent came across this, if we ever had to do anything with our drummer it would be pulling a guns n roses and making him simplify it
tell him to speed things up, slow things down, make it harder, make it softer, use more snare, accent the snare, etc. You can vary drum beats quite easily.
Quote by Second Rate
Yeah, seems about right.

If there is one thing i hate as a drummer, it's playing the standard rock beat. It's one of the most banal activities there is. Displacing a back beat every couple of measures isn't going to kill him. If he doesn't listen to or can't execute your suggestions, then you should just ditch him and find yourself a new drummer.

kick snare kick snare...

Lol, its the only beat I know how to play. ****in' bassists should stay away from their drummers sets... :P
Our drummer's in to math rock...so yeah...not really an issue.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
kick snare kick snare...

Lol, its the only beat I know how to play. ****in' bassists should stay away from their drummers sets... :P

i agree i can keep time but im such a horrible drummer
Quote by Second Rate
Yeah, seems about right.

amen sister.
Quote by Second Rate
Yeah, seems about right.

If you can't have fun making a standard 4/4 K S KK S breathe and groove, something is wrong. I have just as much playing a 12/8 shuffle as I do contributing to my band's groove with a simple 4/4. Of course, if the rest of the band isn't very good, then nothing is much fun.

Here's a rule that I just invented: throwing a fill or syncopated beat just because you are bored or want to show off is a POOR IDEA. Doing it because the audience might be bored is a BETTER IDEA. Doing it because it genuinely adds to the song is the BEST IDEA.
Quote by Philbigtime
Here's a rule that I just invented: throwing a fill or syncopated beat just because you are bored or want to show off is a POOR IDEA. Doing it because the audience might be bored is a BETTER IDEA. Doing it because it genuinely adds to the song is the BEST IDEA.

Definitely.

Listen to the drumming in Bloc Party, as a band from a genre whose drums are generally quite dull, his drumming and fills add so much to the music, yet he doesnt change the essence of the song.

It sounds like you should introduce your drummer into some bands who have great drummers. I.E. Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Police. If this doesn't influence his drumming, maybe try a completely different genre like Jazz or Funk, which typically has very different drum structures to a lot of rock/metal/pop music.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Introduce him to some different bands and styles liek already mentioned.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Band of Gypsies would be even better
Cream
Allman Bros. Band
STS9 - one of the best drummers I have ever heard in my life (go for live stuff tho)
The Who
Gov't Mule
Derek Trucks Band
Umphrey's McGee
G. Love
Bob Marley
Pepper
Slightly Stoopid
Jah Roots
The Roots
Sly and the Family Stone
Funkadelic
James Brown
Parlament
Staylefish
Also, try having him play with hip-hop, rap and techno
No mention of Carter Beauford?

Shame on you all.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
No mention of Carter Beauford?

Shame on you all.

who?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Our drummer always slows down our song. We'll show him a song that has a really fast tempo and he'll slow it down a lot.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews Band, and even if you don't like DMB (I'm on the fence about them), he is an insanely awesome drummer.
Quote by Philbigtime
Carter Beauford is the drummer for the Dave Matthews Band, and even if you don't like DMB (I'm on the fence about them), he is an insanely awesome drummer.

thanks
Quote by guitarhero_764

Often times drummers do this cuz they don't want to step on anyones toes. It's hard trying to straddle the line between creative and overplaying. Make sure your drummer knows what you want from him.
Gir vs. Wild :a man with foreskin is like a mule with a spinning wheel, nobody knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it
If you want good rock beats, listen to iron maiden. Nicko McBrain has some AWESOME drumming.
Before we kicked him for being a control freak/wanker/general arse our drummer did interesting drum beats. But just much too loud. He also used to write songs for us. He did the guitar parts, the bass, the lyrics, vocal melody. He tried to write my solo once aswell. Lets just say he never tried to do tht again.

But yeah, he always used to do complicated drum beats. Which were impossible to follow when we were just jamming, because he'd change the time signature randomly aswell. Grr he was a dick.
I have the exact opposite complaint about our drummer.
He tries to make everything too complicated when all the song needs is a powerful, straight forward, driving beat.
Quote by KSM_Dante
If you want good rock beats, listen to iron maiden. Nicko McBrain has some AWESOME drumming.

This.