Poll: how many guitars should a guitarist have?
Poll Options
View poll results: how many guitars should a guitarist have?
3 2%
5 3%
26 14%
24 13%
21 11%
6 or more
112 59%
Voters: 191.
Page 1 of 2
In you people's opinion, what is a good amount of guitars to have? Both practically and how many can you have till you look like a ****.
i'd say 5 is a good amount to have. 4 all tuned to different tunings,maybe two in the same tuning (one with a floating trem) and an acoustic. but who can ever have enough ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i cant say there is actually to many guitars but the best number in my opinion and for my situation is 4. One tuned standard with a floyd rose one tuned to something else with a floyd rose. something without a locking tremolo so u can tune it quickly in dire situations where one of your guitars with a floyd rose has failed and an acoustic guitar cause sometimes there the best thing to add to a song
2 acoustic, 2 electric, IMO. I think more than that is fine but you can have a nice amount of specialization in that alone.
As many as you can possibly afford. I don't see why you shouldn't have as many as you want... just having money shouldn't make you "look like an ass".
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
when you don't know how many guitars you actually own
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Not sure prolly like 3 I only own one but working on getting a second.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
It depends. If you use floyd you will usually use more than 6 but if you use les pauls or strats then I would image 1 or 2.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I say 4...

One Electric for Bluesy/Classic Rock/Punk
One Electric for Heavy stuff
Acoustic
Acoustic-Electric
Quote by Perfection 101
If we all had this guy's clarity of thought, world peace would ensue

Quote by Zugunruhe
incidentally, there are absolutely no results for "bizzare anal kazoo" on google.

2 In a Tuning You Typically Play With On A Daily Basis (Drop D for me) 1 Good guitar*, 1 bad one*.
1 In a Tuning You Mess Around With On A Sub-Daily Basis (Drop C for me) Good guitar.
1 In a Tuning You Recognize Is There, But You Don't Use Much (Standard for me) Good or bad guitar.
1 In any Tuning. This will Be Your Randomosity Guitar You Will Tune to Drop B, Then Tune To Open D The Next Time You Use It. Bad guitar.

Remember kids, Capatilizing Every Word In A Sentence Except The Second Is CROOZE CUNTRUL TEU KEWL.

Now I just have to GET 5 guitars. :P

* By bad and good I mean what condition the guitar could be in. However, you don't have to keep a guitar in bad condition, but they don't have to be that good since you won't be using them much.
there are honestly 30+ guitars in my house, 4 of which are mine and the rest my dads. he bought three of mine for me, too
signed,
your favorite poster
Let's see.... Here is my small collection so far.... Jackson Soloist with a Floyd (drop D 100% of the time), Les Paul (standard tuning), Epi acoustic electric (standard), and an Epi bass.

What I need to round out my collection is a solid bridge Schecter type for drop C and drop A tuning, and a Fender strat for those times when I'm feeling Vaughn'ish,,,

That would make 6 (including the bass).
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
As long as you have room for them,can afford them,and will actually use them instead of just leaving them in a case or something and rarely playing them then I don't think there is a limit.I have 6 electrics at the moment and it's nice to be able to have all those different feelings and characters in tone and playability at my finger tips.One guitar may not feel right on a certain day so I play this one instead and so on.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
As long as you have room for them,can afford them,and will actually use them instead of just leaving them in a case or something and rarely playing them then I don't think there is a limit.I have 6 electrics at the moment and it's nice to be able to have all those different feelings and characters in tone and playability at my finger tips.One guitar may not feel right on a certain day so I play this one instead and so on.

I already have it planned for me to have a guitar room when I'm married and get a house. 40+ guitars I hope to put there.
i dunno last time i checked my guitar teacher had 27, but i havnt seen him for 2 months so hes prob got another one by now
Quote by ToalNOOB
I already have it planned for me to have a guitar room when I'm married and get a house. 40+ guitars I hope to put there.

It can easily turn into an addiction,my music room is starting to look like a small store after my recent buys,I've resorted to wall hangers to save floor space.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

You can never have too many guitars as long as they're different. I have a nice strat and a nice RG, i plan on getting a B.C. Rich 10 string, an explorer, and a good acoustic. Different guitars inspire you to do different things
You can never have too many, and really the minimum should be 4 (two different tuning and tone variations plus a backup for each).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I really don't think you can have too many. When I'm "done" with my collection or whatever you might wanna call it, I'll have my first guitar (never going to sell my first guitar), an EX-400 for heavy riffing and stuff, a PRS Custom 24 with tremolo for smother stuff and high-fret solo-songs, my Seagull acoustic, a semi-acoustic for playing acoustic songs live... and then a whole bunch of PRSes just 'cause they're all so beautiful and each one is unique. And for the purpose of having different tunings.

But I think a guitarist should have at least four guitars. I voted 6+, though.
Quote by Arzei
...Seagull acoustic...

*High five* Represent!

...and now that I've quote this, we'll have three Seagulls in a row, sort of.
It depends on your needs. If you keep buying the same guitars in different colours, that's too much. But if you play a lot of different genres, you will need quite a few different guitars.

I already have a strat, tele and les paul, but I still need:

- Thin neck guitar (Ibanez/ESP/Jackson) for shredding and that typical metal sound.
- 7-string for songs in B
- 8-string for Meshuggah, or any songs with a low F
- Fender Jaguar + Mustang, because I like their distinct sound.
You can never have to many guitars

I only have 1 myself, and 1 bass, but I'm planning on getting another guitar after xmas
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
1-acoustic
1-12-string
and as many electrics and you can find that all make different sounds.

Thats my philosophy.

And yet, at the moment I find myself with 1 acoustic, and only one electric. I will have to do something about that!
Last edited by Characins at Dec 19, 2008,
1 for every tuning. Then like 2 grandpas guitars
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
2 are too many if your amp sucks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Depends on the person.
I'd personally be happy with 2 electric and an acoustic, but some people like a lot of variety.
single coil guitar
humbucker guitar
shredcaster.
semi- or hollow-body.
decent quality acoustic

A bass would be good as well.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
for a hobbyist or learning guitar player only about 4 electrics and an acoustic like at the most

but for a professional completely different story IMO
Quote by JELIFISH19
You can never have too many guitars as long as they're different. I have a nice strat and a nice RG, i plan on getting a B.C. Rich 10 string, an explorer, and a good acoustic. Different guitars inspire you to do different things

Thats about right. Kinda weird to have two that are exactly the same, less one is a "studio" and the other is a "campfire" one.
I dont think any amount of guitars is too much, however I think there isnt much need for anything more than 4, 5 at a stretch.
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
Quote by Roast Beef
He claims to play all of them, what a joke

Maybe not in the same month... but i can believe most of it.
Page 1 of 2