Page 1 of 2
So I go to one (psychiatrists sp), and he gives me this medicine that initially made me physically sick, dizzy, nauseous, restless, throwing up, and also really aware so it's hard for me to kind of relax, or even sleep. So him and my parents think I'm just complaining, or trying to cop out from taking it just cause I don't want to, and that if I give it time I'll feel better. It's not happening though, and it's starting to change me. I stopped taking it for awhile once, and it made me feel worse cause now my brain thinks I need it. Also, my family is kind of saying I have to take it if I wanna live with them.

wtf do I do are they really just trying to get almost everyone on pills?
Quote by captain Trips
hmmm... have you heard any good stories about a bridge?

Many. I'd love to hear another though.
**** psychiatrists, go to a psychologist.
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
Quote by captain Trips
hold on, maybe someone who sucks less than you will post before I tell you one

The way you just threw that in there with such a pop!

I tip my hat to you good sir. You've done well. But, just letting you know, I am up to date on tales of bridges, for I spend most of the day between the racks of bookshelves, pouring myself over the text of the architecture of these roads of engineering feats. I just love it. It's my one true passion.

We should chat some time. Maybe meet up at a coffee shop? Exchange philosophies on life, gossip, talk about world issues, and appreciate the arts. We would then go back to my flat, and I'd show you some of the new music I'm getting into. Some obscure, relatively unknown indie band. I'd put on a vintage argyle sweater, and light up the fire place as we drink wine on the leather couches. I'd drop a roofie in your drink, and the night would be all mine.
Quote by EvilMonkeySG3

thats basically what I do, they make you talk to a therapists, but it's kind of good cop bad cop. the therapists kind of gains your trust, but then just writes down whatever, and then you meet with the psychiatrists to get the pill prescriptions, and you get the idea the therapist is just kind of manipulating you to find out how ****ed up you are
Ween yourself off them? Flush them down the toilet instead of taking them, or sell them to elementary school kids.

It will take awhile to get back into your normal flow of things.

I've learned from experience that just because psychiatrists have a degree does not mean they know what's best for you.

It's more of a "okay, take this, and if that doesn't work, it means you don't have that disease, but this disease, so try this, and if that doesn't work, that must mean we were wrong again so try this one this time, and if that doesn't work, then don't worry, we've got tons of other medications we can try"

EDIT: I also believe that a lot of doctors get a % of every prescription they prescribe or something. I heard from a teacher a long time ago, so I could be wrong, but this is America, so who knows.

If you're seeing a therapist too, just make sure you emphasize that you're not feeling any better, and its doing nothing but cause anxiety, especially in your homelife. Then he/she can maybe get the psychiatrist to try something else.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Last edited by x_thurston_x at Dec 19, 2008,
Do you know the story of how cornmeal was made? Neither did the miller when he left his house that morning.
Would you die for Dethklok? I know I would. PM me... If you've got the balls.
Quote by x_thurston_x
Ween yourself off them? Flush them down the toilet instead of taking them, or sell them to elementary school kids.

It will take awhile to get back into your normal flow of things.

I've learned from experience that just because psychiatrists have a degree does not mean they know what's best for you.

It's more of a "okay, take this, and if that doesn't work, it means you don't have that disease, but this disease, so try this, and if that doesn't work, that must mean we were wrong again so try this one this time, and if that doesn't work, then don't worry, we've got tons of other medications we can try"

Yea, you're right, I did that whole thing. im not even gonna get into how they give me strong doses, but the guy thinks he can run my life cause he has a degree, and if i disagree with him, I'm just being paranoid, and the symptoms are coming back. He told my parents to get a court ordered prescription mandate, which makes me take it or I can be detained in a hospital.
Your parents are tool-faces. What exactly is so wrong with you that they'll throw you out and force you into hospital if you don't take this medication? Will it be obvious if you go off them?
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by Abunai X
Your parents are tool-faces. What exactly is so wrong with you that they'll throw you out if you don't take this medication? Will it be obvious if you go off them?

they tell me I have something worse than bipolar disorder, they think its pretty serious, but I don't really believe them. I have issues but idk none of this seems right. Also the first time I brought this up to them basically led to them doubling the dosage. It might be working, but you feel kind of doscile you know.

I talk to people somewhat often about this, I just wanted to hear what people thought who don't know me or hear an objective third party
Last edited by captain Trips at Dec 19, 2008,
I'm guessing you're taking abilify?
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
Quote by EvilMonkeySG3

Why? They do entirely different things.
**** cardiologists, go see a neurologist.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I talk to people somewhat often about this, I just wanted to hear what people thought who don't know me or hear an objective third party

An objective third party is only useful when said party knows what they're talking about. If you doubt the diagnosis, seek a second opinion (from a different psychiatrist). No, there is no conspiracy to put the entire population on medication.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Dude I definitely feel for you.

What's worse is if you do something like refuse to take it, you're crazy.
If you calmly tell them you feel it's not working, you're crazy.
If you yell and scream that no one is listening, you're crazy.

This is totally a lose-lose situation, but like I said, maybe just be persistent during your sessions and talk about how you're not feeling the slightest bit better.

But a lot of times, it takes a good month before the drug starts to have its full effect, so maybe that's why they're not letting you off yet.

Honestly though, there are so many better ways to deal with depression.
Instead of stuffing you with drugs, they should try to figure out what's causing these problems and fucking try to fix it.

Quote by Archeo Avis
An objective third party is only useful when said party knows what they're talking about. If you doubt the diagnosis, seek a second opinion (from a different psychiatrist). No, there is no conspiracy to put the entire population on medication.

Or is that just what they want you to think?

I second the notion on getting a second opinion.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Last edited by x_thurston_x at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis

I might have needed to bold the word "almost" in my first post, and I know there isn't a conspiracy. At least 5 doctors think I'm this way, but I'm just not sure if they're helping me in the long run, or only delaying things. Oh well n/m
Quote by kinkmachine
Ask your Pyschiatrist if he ever cured anyone.I bet he'll have a hard time answering that question.You can do some reseach on the internet to see what a scam Pyschiatry is.

*sigh*

It doesn't surprise me at all that you consider "looking around on the internet" research. Please, educate yourself before spewing this nonsense.

Honestly though, there are so many better ways to deal with depression.
Instead of stuffing you with drugs, they should try to figure out what's causing these problems and ****ing try to fix it.

It's true that pharmacotherapy is generally ineffective in the treatment of childhood and early adolescent depression, but drugs are consistently shown to be an extremely effective treatment for adult depression when combined with cognitive behavioral therapy. They are not useless.
http://bipolar-disorder.emedtv.com/abilify/abilify-side-effects.html

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_abilify.htm

https://online.epocrates.com/u/1053259/Abilify/Adverse+Reaction

Show your parents that, that should show them that you're not lying about what you're experiencing. Also, tell your therapist that this is not working at all for you. If that doesn't work, flush them. I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I know people who were in the same situation you are, and my mom has/had lots of issues with prescription meds.

Hope this helps you some, good luck man.
Peace
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
Quote by captain Trips
I might have needed to bold the word "almost" in my first post, and I know there isn't a conspiracy. At least 5 doctors think I'm this way, but I'm just not sure if they're helping me in the long run, or only delaying things. Oh well n/m

I still don't get how they know when you've stopped taking them.
XIAOXI
Quote by Abunai X

they count them. Also, I'm not one of those online hypochondriacs that wants to be sick, i dont want this ****, and a whole team of doctors diagnosed me as even acutely scitzo-affective
Quote by Abunai X

It depends on the medication. Some medication requires careful monitoring (usually through blood work) due to the fine line between an effective and a toxic dose, so the doctor is going to know if you're not taking it. Most medication doesn't require said monitoring, so you could certainly get aware with noncompliance. Of course, noncompliance is highly correlated with a worse prognosis, so...
Quote by Vigilantius
Do you know the story of how cornmeal was made? Neither did the miller when he left his house that morning.

hahaha /applaud

Quote by kinkmachine
Ask your Pyschiatrist if he ever cured anyone.I bet he'll have a hard time answering that question.You can do some reseach on the internet to see what a scam Pyschiatry is.

**** you!
Quote by jetfuel495

"my goal is to live forever. im doin pretty good so far. and if i fail, at least i wont be around to disappoint myself"

Quote by Archeo Avis
*sigh*

It doesn't surprise me at all that you consider "looking around on the internet" research. Please, educate yourself before spewing this nonsense.

It's true that pharmacotherapy is generally ineffective in the treatment of childhood and early adolescent depression, but drugs are consistently shown to be an extremely effective treatment for adult depression when combined with cognitive behavioral therapy. They are not useless.

Well I wasn't necessarily saying they were useless.
I'm just saying that the best medicine is patience and a little time.
Not true to all cases obviously, but you catch my drift.

It's just for somethings, you really do just need to tough it out.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

I'm just saying that the best medicine is patience and a little time.

Hmm...research says otherwise.
Quote by captain Trips
they count them. Also, I'm not one of those online hypochondriacs that wants to be sick, i dont want this ****, and a whole team of doctors diagnosed me as even acutely scitzo-affective

I think there are alternatives to addictive drugs and if all your parents do is count them, just pretend to take them but really throw them out.

Or slip them into their food. Let them know how it feels to be forced to take medication that they don't need.

Actually, don't do that - that's a bad idea.

Also, it does sound like you need it.

/completely useless post
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Dec 19, 2008,
I'm not trying to rant here or anything like that I just wanted to hear peoples perspectives on the whole pysch evaluation and process. Most people I talk to say just listen to the doctors, even if they felt otherwise for some reason they fear I'll have an episode if i stop and they'll feel responsible

The anti depressents work good, I feel good on them. If these other pills were that effective I'd be very pleased, but it's just something doesnt seem right because my body rejects them. Also I was only on anti depressents originally, then I stopped taking them, so they put me on anti pyschotics. But then again what do I know right
Quote by Archeo Avis
Hmm...research says otherwise.

You just said a few posts ago that medications are generally ineffective on younger age groups. Which is exactly my point.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by x_thurston_x
You just said a few posts ago that medications are generally ineffective on younger age groups. Which is exactly my point.

yea It's recommened by some to wait until you're out of teen years and early twenties to diagnose and treat serious mental illnesses, because some people are just having a tough time in those transition years and whatnot.
thanks for that second post though, this situation does seem kind of hopeless and no one else seems to think so
Quote by Archeo Avis
*sigh*

Your talking about treatment,I was talking about a cure.Are these people suppose to be on drugs for the rest of thier lives?
Quote by kinkmachine
Your talking about treatment,I was talking about a cure.Are these people suppose to be on drugs for the rest of thier lives?

yes, they told me verbateum until the day I die, I cannot live without them. Or I go to a pysch ward, until my head "clears up" and start taking them again. It's kind of scary
Quote by captain Trips
yea It's recommened by some to wait until you're out of teen years and early twenties to diagnose and treat serious mental illnesses, because some people are just having a tough time in those transition years and whatnot.
thanks for that second post though, this situation does seem kind of hopeless and no one else seems to think so

That's not true. It's just that not many of us know how to help you.

Maybe a lawyer could stop them from give you a mandate. I don't know.
XIAOXI
Quote by Abunai X
That's not true. It's just that not many of us know how to help you.

Maybe a lawyer could stop them from give you a mandate. I don't know.

Yea I'm not too worried about it, I'd have to be proven incompetent by a judge, and the therapist said that would never happen, but the doctor who gives me the pills (who's only talked to me for about 10 minutes at a time each month) just said that to scare me. I just ment some say you can't diagnose scitzophrenia in teen years, you have to wait until they're at about my age.

I'm not even trying to just rebel against their authority, Ive had serious side effects from the pills. Earlier this year I was taking a walk, and my legs started to feel all numb, and I sat down, and couldn't get back up. I seriously had to half limp, half drag myself back into my house lol. I bring it up but it kind of gets lost in the mix when they heard I stopped taking the pills after that occured. My opinion or perspective is kind of ignored or usless to them, except for making my problems and issues sound worse, I could probably fake catatonia and they'd believe it, it's real weird.
Quote by captain Trips
yes, they told me verbateum until the day I die, I cannot live without them. Or I go to a pysch ward, until my head "clears up" and start taking them again. It's kind of scary

That's too bad,being on toxic drugs for the rest of your life doesn't sound too fun.Stay strong,I wish the best for you.
ive always not been a fan of hastily perscribing pills to fix problems, or taking them to fix problems without a perscription, i am fine with people doing things recreationally, but not to magically solve things, which is what alot of people expect. tho pills and such do help people, it is important not to rely on them completely, becuause u do build a "tolerance" be it physically, mentally, etc. u will reach a point, almost guarenteed, where they just aren't doin what they used to. even if its perscribed, there has to be a point, whether it be weeks, months, or even years(hopefully), it will come.

that being said, do whatever it takes along with pills. and it can even be crazy **** that people would think is useless. just personal therepy, not rituals, but like a go to activity. such as playing guitar, or getting a self-help book, or opening up to people who aren't doctors, or obscure hobbies, or whatever.

go to activities are just what i do to stay sane, u could try it and if it doesnt work then its no big deal. and even tho i do not have any major illnesses or disorders(im aware of, knock on wood), i do, like the rest of u, have everyday problems like family and such. one small thing i deal with is counting.i count steps, seconds i take to do something, etc. the major part of it is i am very partial to even numbers to the point that i only eat even numbers of anything that i can eat or drink evenly without getting full (like bites). when i notice its getting bad i go play guitar becuause music helps me focus on a totally new element, that comes from feeling, not counting. especially with soloing i can jump around and really put some feeling behind it.

anyway TS if u tl;dr, find a healthy go to activity to make u feel sane.
Page 1 of 2