This didn't seem like the best idea in the first place, but I did it anyway.

Last night I was messing around recording stuff in Audacity with my friend's acoustic electric guitar. Of course, I had a 1/8" adapter to plug the guitar into my microphone jack. Everything was working fine, but I decided I wanted to put a chorus effect on it. So I plugged the guitar into my amp with a built-in chorus effect, and plugged my amp into my computer's microphone jack with the adapter. The sound was coming out of my speakers when I played, but wasn't being picked up by Audacity. So I decided to try my speaker jack. Now there was no sound coming from my computer or being picked up from Audacity. A few minutes later, I gave up and tried to listen to music, but no sound was coming out. I don't know what's wrong and I think I may have fried my sound card.

tl;dr Acoustic electric guitar + amp + computer's microphone jack = fried sound card?
I don't know much about the subject but you could check the sound cards status in the device manager.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Probably.... Thats a lot of power. You need to have some kind of recording interface
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Everything is fine in the device manager. If I play something in iTunes and go to my volume control, it's got the moving bar things (I have no idea what that's called), but they're moving. So I know that the music is playing, there's just no sound coming from the speakers.

I also plugged in a set of speakers, and nothing came out of those either, yet they worked fine prior to my stupidity.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the sound driver as well. Still nothing.
Cant you do that thing where you restart your computer with like the settings from the day before.

I forgot what it is called.
Im pretty sure if you had fried your sound card you would be staring dumbfounded at what is known as the "blue screen of death" though, that migh only be for display related priblems... have you checked all you settings? inputs, outputs, what channels what, that kinda stuff? Might sound stupid but have you checked your plugged into the right jack?
Screw Ignorance... Indifference is bliss.
Hate tyo state the obvious but you didn't manage to re=set the card to multi-speaker, did you? That could mess things up. Windows should pick up only off the sound output side but Audacity not getting it is a worry. The good news is, a replacement sound card is cheap enough. You don't need all the bells and whistles for recording. Just make sure you get a suitable interface (mixer of guitar redording device) in the line.
Well, I have a laptop. So still relatively inexpensive, it'd be a pain in the ass.

But yes, I checked everything. Checked BIOS to see if everything was where it should be. The only problem I have is no sound is coming from the speakers.
What version of Windows?

Man, you shouldn't cater to tldr idiots who are too lazy to read a paragraph.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
I'm running Vista Home Premium.

I just don't get why my computer is telling me the speakers are working, but I'm not getting any sound. Not even with the other set of speakers.
Did you check the sound output or whatever it is to make sure the speakers are selected? Sorry, I don't have Vista so I don't remember the details, but my friend had a sound problem and it was because his speakers were not selected as the sound output.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
Quote by deathshadow519
This didn't seem like the best idea in the first place, but I did it anyway.

Last night I was messing around recording stuff in Audacity with my friend's acoustic electric guitar. Of course, I had a 1/8" adapter to plug the guitar into my microphone jack. Everything was working fine, but I decided I wanted to put a chorus effect on it. So I plugged the guitar into my amp with a built-in chorus effect, and plugged my amp into my computer's microphone jack with the adapter. The sound was coming out of my speakers when I played, but wasn't being picked up by Audacity. So I decided to try my speaker jack. Now there was no sound coming from my computer or being picked up from Audacity. A few minutes later, I gave up and tried to listen to music, but no sound was coming out. I don't know what's wrong and I think I may have fried my sound card.

tl;dr Acoustic electric guitar + amp + computer's microphone jack = fried sound card?

NEVER run a speaker output to anything but a speaker. Doing so will fry the sound card/hardware...and possibly your amp.

I am 99% sure you fried your card. Windows will see audio going though in the control panel but if the hardware is dead theres not going to be any sound. Don't bother with BIOS settings or anything, it's not a software related problem.

Get a proper audio interface and mic. The interface will bypass your fried card
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 19, 2008,
Moody's right. Going from the speaker out was a big mistake. Sorry.
There is poetry in despair.