hey guys my band wants to use a keyboard for some songs but we have no keyboard player. what should we do.

and we cant find anyone to play keys.

we have logic pro for recording equipment.

and i am wanting to know should we record the keyboards onto a cd and just play it in the back of the music. or what should we do?
Last edited by guitarpoplin at Dec 19, 2008,
You could do that until you find yourself a proper keyboardist.

That's what I'm doing in lieu of a drummer.
well we got me on vocals and guitar. so its like no luck to change me over to keys cause i would mess it up lol.
ok awesome. i am just like well keys would be a cool thing for a intro and a cool song idea. but no way i can play guitar and keys at same time.
sorry for the title i been up since 6 am and its already midnight and i have been stressing out all day.
If you're going to do that, make damn sure you play with a click track.
If you keep the guitar very clean and maybe get a compresser/sustainer and someother pedals to smooth your tone, you can get a keyboard sound with a guitar.
...depending on the 'keyboard sound' you're after.

The role of the keyboard player is not just playing synth lines anymore. It is running samples, using layers of instrument patches, etc.

If you record the parts and play to a click you'll be totally fine. If you're going to do that, you can add other layers too.... a lot of bands add backing vocals - not to replace, but to supplement the live backing vocals. The audience listens and sees two people doing backing vocals and hears a lush backing vocal sound and thinks, "wow, those guys are really good!"

Don't use a CD, though. They can get scratched or skip or whatever. Use an mp3 player.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by MadAudioMan
If you keep the guitar very clean and maybe get a compresser/sustainer and someother pedals to smooth your tone, you can get a keyboard sound with a guitar.

Yeah, look at the song "12:51" by The Strokes. It shows how close to a keyboard a guitar can sound. What I think he's doing is one, he's using a Jazz Guitar, two, he's using a compresser/sustainer, and three, he's using a pedal.
In the same amount of time it takes to build up some real intimate knowledge with a nice softsynth someone could learn the rudiments of keyboard playing.

This isn't a good short term solution--but why not have a couple people in the band take lessons? It's such a great secondary instrument for everyone to have and can only add to a band situation even when only occasionally thrown in. I couldn't do anything with a keyboard 6 months ago, now I'm still pretty bad, but someone can give me a key signature and I can jam out in it or give me some simple sheet music and I can sight read it. Learning it even this much has been the best musical thing I've done in the last 3-4 years.
Quote by axemanchris
...depending on the 'keyboard sound' you're after.

The role of the keyboard player is not just playing synth lines anymore. It is running samples, using layers of instrument patches, etc.

If you record the parts and play to a click you'll be totally fine. If you're going to do that, you can add other layers too.... a lot of bands add backing vocals - not to replace, but to supplement the live backing vocals. The audience listens and sees two people doing backing vocals and hears a lush backing vocal sound and thinks, "wow, those guys are really good!"

Don't use a CD, though. They can get scratched or skip or whatever. Use an mp3 player.

CT

we have a click we can all hear with head phones and stuff. so no worrys.

and since i got logic pro i can just record a lot of insturments on it on track and have a insturment have a counter on it in the begining.

if i do mp3 how would i be able to do everything to it like at the end of the song pause it for the next one and stuff.