So, I thought I could make my dream guitar cheaper than I could have bought it. Well, I have to admit for what I'm getting its a steal, but it adds up quick. So here we go, my project:

Body- Reliced Fender Jap Alder with pick guard and bridge(Daphne Blue)- $150

Neck- Fender USA maple/rosewood with fender tuneres- $300

70's style headstock

Serial

Beautiful wood grain...

Bridge Pickup- Seymour Duncan Vintage Rail- $30
Middle Pickup- Seymour Duncan Vintage Rail- $30
Neck Pickup- Seymour Duncan Hot Rail- $35

For those of you that don't know what rails look like...

Fender Custom Neck plate- $20
Schaller Strap Locks- $14

I have just about everything now, I just have to wait until Christmas before its "mine." The body was a Pre-loaded fender Jap model, so i have some spare parts as well. I'll probably drop those pups in my first guitar(strat copy). Anyways, I'm taking suggestions on further upgrades, so let me know what you think.
My Rig...

Guitars:
2003 Ovation Collectors Series
Custom U.S.A. Parts Strat
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112
Fender Sidekick Reverb 65

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
looks neat
Quote by carcass255
long hair is cool mate

haircuts are for people in concentration camp
Seems like perfect to me. It only has to be constructed and played to death Have fun mate
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
You think thats expensive, my RG project has cost me $380 already for wood, truss rod and fretwire alone. I've still got about $600 worth of parts to get.

Looks really nice though. Love that color on the body.
why must you wait till christmas for it to be yours?

Looks good though, and im sure it will sound awesome!
hmm... people usually put hot rails in the bridge, it'd be interesting to see how they work in the neck position.
people usually put hot rails wherever they want. Its usual to put hotrails in the bridge so its HSS... i think
Hurry up and put it all together man

edit: didn't read the last paragraph. Hurry up and put it all together on Christmas then...
I'd never pay 300 bucks for a neck , you could have bought a warmoth bird's eye and gotten wilkinson tuners or goldfish tuners , they are alot better than the fender ones.
Aparet from that , if the pickups on the Fender ar vintage ones , and sound nice you could get atleast 100 bucks on all 3.
People pay so much for builds. I'm using high quality components from stewmac and high quality woods and its costing me 350 roughly to build a guitar.
i am building my first guitar right now, and it hasnt cost me a thing yet. i am just using parts from guitars i already own. but quick question, is their a website on how to hand coil pickups? like an online instruction manual. All of the pickups i own suck so i am going to experiment with different windings, and magents and stuff.
It preety. I'm no Strat man, but some finish combinations just sit well with me. This is one.
Thanks for the compliments guys. I saw the body and immediately fell in love with it. I have to wait a few more days because the body and pups are a present from my mum. As of the moment I have a neck lol. I didn't have a problem spending the money 1 because I've always wanted a strat and 2 for me to buy one then upgrade the pups it'd cost me about twice what I'm paying to just do it. There's also a sense of self satisfaction when you tell your buds yeah its custom =P I'll post pics as soon as I get her together.
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
The only thing I would suggest is yellowing the neck and headstock a little bit. That way you can get the full effect of an aged and played to death Strat. Just like they should be
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
That body is a steal. Amazing price. If you don't mind me asking , where did you get it from?

And you also got the pickups really cheap too.
I ebayed my parts from random sellers, the neck I got from Stratosphere though because of reputability. That was my main consern with legitamacy. I'm loving the comments; I can't wait to get her put together. How do I age the headstock, does any one know?
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
I don't know, sorry, but I'll definately be lurking so I can find out. That is something I really want to do with my Squier
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Infamous
How do I age the headstock, does any one know?

xtreamly light sand paper and brown shoe polish should do it

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Whoa! that is a sweet deal on that body!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Great project! You're right though it sounds less expensive, then it all adds up.\

My Gibson Explorer project.

Got a Warmoth Explorer body and neck on ebay for $250 shipped. Woohoo. But that was nothing.

$80 for painting stuff
$200 for pickups - custom pickups from www.searcystringworks.com
$30 for tuners
$200 for a Kahler Tremolo
$30 for a Warmoth pickguard
$50 for electornics
$20 for strap locks

Probably forgetting something, but it must be close to $900 easy.

It kicks ass though and I wouldn't trade it for a real stock Explorer.

Building your own guitar is not a cheap affair but can be very rewarding if done right.
Hey guys, I picked up a couple more things check out this sweet neckplate I found as well as this strap its hilarious. hahaha I also have a question. Whats the benefit of 500k pots? And would my body already have them, or do I need to go buy some? And if I need to buy, what brand would you recommend.

Neckplate-

Strap(ROFL)-
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
Haha, I love that strap
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
250k is standard for most single coil pickups, 500k is standard for most humbuckers.

If you put a 500k with a single coil then the single coil would sound brighter then if it had the 250k.

You're body probably came preloaded with the right pots, though I'm not sure. I don't really know if those pickups are considered single coil or not.

If you're going to buy pots, you could do a little more customization and get some push-pulls. That way you could get things like seven tone switching and out of phase options.

If you are going to buy pots, look up the difference between linear and logarithmic pots.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
O.K. I went and checked the duncan specs for the pups I bought and they recommend 250k. I probably have those already but push-pulls sound like fun, does anyone have these on a similar pickup to mine?
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
Hey guys, I have an update for you. =) She's all together now aside from the neck. Its going to be here Monday according to UPS. Anyways without further a due my I present to you:

and
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
I knew it would be that expensive... the price can jump so much higher than expected. I made a EVH/Fender Wolgang (i cut the scoop out on the head stock) and i suspected about $300-$400 as an estimate... its easily at like 700-900 now... i mean the shipping, forgotten parts, extra special tools... I got most parts at Stewmacs, Guitar Parts Depot, Ebay, and Axcessories. but yah it was well worth it. the knoledge and experiance gained, very worth it. But yah nice axe looks good so far. And carousel182 if your price doesnt go any higher than that... you are very lucky...lol
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
i know! i chose it over a new seafoam =)
My Rig...

Guitars:
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
I'd say you made out pretty good. My white strat in my profile was put together from parts, some from the Stratosphere like where you got your neck. The body and neck are MIM. With that said, it still costed about $800 to $850 in total parts. I love the maple neck I got for it, but the more I see those Warmoth necks the more I want one. If I ever run into some extra cash I'm gonna order a birdseye or flame maple neck from them and swap it for my MIM neck. Sweet looking strat you have there though, congrats.