I'm going to try to test one out, but this is the one I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-ESP-LTD-MH-251-QMSTBK-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-FREE-FREIGHT_W0QQitemZ120351484962QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item120351484962&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I want a pretty versatile (think a Vai Blue Powder, to Dream Theater's earlier albums, to a Ghost Inside tone. I LOVE the vintage sounding Racer X tone, like on Street Lethal) guitar, with low action and a fast neck. I don't need a floating tremolo, as I think it would just create tuning hassles as I may be changing from drop C to standard in one night... I also want 24 frets, unless it's a really good recommendation.

I'm not sure what scale my current guitar is (Samick Strat copy), but does it confuse you too much to change, or do you get used to it quickly?

As far as pick-ups go, it doesn't concern me too much, but I'd love a guitar that can get the above mentioned tones. If it can't, then recommend a pick-up swap as well. Keep my budget in mind. (MAX AUD$1200)

I play through a Laney TF-300 (speaker swap, to a Celestion G12H-80), and it's a fantastic amp.

I'm going to test out all recommendations as well, I'm not simply going by what everyone here will say. If you all recommend an RG - and I test it out and hate it - it's not what I'm going to buy.

I'm getting a new guitar not so much because of the tone (even though the neck and middle pick-ups don't work... doh), but because of playability and... I must confess... I'm sick of having the same guitar for 5 years. I also feel that this guitar is limiting my playing. Tuning issues are a problem with my current guitar, fret wear, and a lot more issues. If I was to fix up the Samick, the I'd spend $300 and end up with the same guitar I had to begin with. It was a good guitar to learn on, but I need a step up.

If there are any similar guitars out there in a similar price range (I can go about $400 AUD more, but I chose this for a possible pick-up swap), let me know. I'm open to any brands.

Thanks!
Changing neck scale shouldn't make much of a difference with guitars, becuase they're only about an inch or so different, and the frets are still there as a guideline. Even playing Baritone guitars you dont really notice.
measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double it, thats your scale length

also: you have an ok amp but well done for not just turd polishing your strat
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Yep, turd polishing is what I'm going against :p

I've played my amp against some Mesas (Nomad, and a Mark something) and a decent Marshall (I think it was a JCM800?), and it's always been able to give them a run for their money. Obviously, the Nomad is more vintage voiced than the Laney, and they're a bitch to EQ... but it was clearer, darker when you want it to be, and tighter than the Marshall.

Anyway...

Just discovered that the 251 is Agathis. Is Mahogany an incredible improvement from that? I know **** about tone woods. Looking at the H-500 w/ duncans, the specs seem a lot greater, for only $300 more. Might not need to upgrade pickups either.

H-500:
* Set-Thru
* 25.5” Scale
* Mahogany Body
* Flamed Maple Top
* Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* 42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
* Thin U Neck Contour
* 24 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* Grover Tuners