the weakerthans - left and leaving

following john k. sampson's departure from the popular and influential punk band propaghandi, he quickly got to forming a new vehicle in which he could focus more clearly on his introspective songwriting, and so the weakerthans were born. armed with what was surely a fine emo journal full of gut-wrenching lyrics and a head full of pop sensibilities, sampson and his band have released four total lps, not the least prominent of which has been, in my opinion, the band's opus, left and leaving. while not as melodically innovative as some of its more ambitious peers, left and leaving is sure to leave a tune or two stuck in your head with its jubilant pop-influenced riffs, however, any sap with a squier and a basic knowledge of power chords can write a catchy pop-punk riff, no the real jewel in the crown of the weakerthans is their impeccable ability to translate their sense of triviality and heartbreak through sampson's lyrics. matched by very few, sampson ranges from quietly defeated, to anxiously heartbroken, and even, occasionally, cautiously joyful (fear not, my emo brethren, these tracks are few and far between), and always has a pretty word or two to let us know how he's doing. sampson does not shy from the obligatory pop-punk cliche of slowing down the tempo, and hitting his acoustic like power chords are going out of style though, but his lyrics and his melodies never falter, leaving you with a consistently melodic and touching album, that will hopefully wrap you up in its heartbreak like it did me.

recommended tracks:

aside
pamphleteer
elegy for elsabet

weakerthan's myspace
I only have Reconstruction Site and I really like it. I'll have to pick up this album too, definitely something I'm interested in.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by kryptonite22
I think 'Aside' is the only tune I've heard from this band but I love it, lyrics are so good.

I think 'Aside' more distant from the style of their other songs. Damn good song nevertheless. Thanks for putting this up NGD, i'll see if I have time next month to do one myself.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
I have Reconstruction Site and Reunion Tour, both which I love. I'll check out this album soon.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
This was my first Weakerthans album. It's absolutely fantastic from beginning to end. After I got this album, I immediately bought the other three and they've solidified their place as one of my favorite bands of all time.

It's important to note that John K. Samson doesn't write from his own perspective all the time. A great number of his songs tell fictional stories, but are spoken in first-person, often interjected with his own opinions and feelings and such. It took me a while to figure that out, and it's a good thing to know if you want to truely understand this band.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Last edited by JesusOfSbrbia at Dec 19, 2008,
What's up with the lack of interest in this band/album? PP&E fails hard once again.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Weakerthans are damn amazing and probably currently my favourite band (bought tickets for Toronto show a few days ago!), but they don't really fit in the PP&E forum. I've always considered them straight up rock.

Oh well, I'll my genre notions slide and instead heap more praise on probably one of the best lyricists I've ever heard in my life, Mr. John K. Sampson.

Also if anyone likes this album, definitely check out the first one, "Fallow" which is also greatness.
Quote by Guitarist132
ive only ever heard aside from them but i loved it

You'd probably like their first album, Fallow, which is very pop punk. "Aside" is a little out of place on Left and Leaving, a really upbeat song on an album that's mostly slow and mellow.

I can't stress this enough, if anyone's thinking about checking this band out, get one of their albums (ANY one), you will not be disappointed.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
You'd probably like their first album, Fallow, which is very pop punk. "Aside" is a little out of place on Left and Leaving, a really upbeat song on an album that's mostly slow and mellow.

I can't stress this enough, if anyone's thinking about checking this band out, get all of their albums, you will not be disappointed.

Fixed
So nobody did one for January. Is somebody going to pick up the ball for February or should I write one up?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Go ahead. I'm not in charge of this btw.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Sorry for slacking so badly on this guys. I had my exams all over December/January, and then myself and a friend were mugged on Monday night, so UG's not really been at the top of my list. I'll try and get my head back in the game and put one together over the next couple of days.

To anyone else, feel free to post one if I haven't already.
I'll write one of these and post it if nobody else does.

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Yeah someone go ahead, I've gotten too busy to do it now. Maybe I'll just try again next month.