So yeah, I'm about to buy an Epiphone LP Custom Ex Emg, with either EMG Hi-Z pickups or EMG- 81/85 pickups ( Epiphone says it has the 81/85s, store says Hi-Zs)
I wondered if it would sound good with a Marshall MG 30 DFX?
I play metal and metalcore by the way.
Are you buying both at the same time? That amp is OK if you are a beginner or just as a practice amp, but if you plan on gigging anytime soon I would consider another amp. What's your budget for the amp?
Quote by eyebanez333
Are you buying both at the same time? That amp is OK if you are a beginner or just as a practice amp, but if you plan on gigging anytime soon I would consider another amp. What's your budget for the amp?

Not sure, since dad's paying

Well, I've been playing for about 1.5 years, and can play quite some stuff, so not really beginner. I'd consider myself pretty good, atleast I'm still making progress.

And yeah, it's gonna be a practice amp.
Quote by a7xrocks02

Thank you. What about the Roland Cube 15x? It's a lot cheaper and we've got a really old house, so volumes not a prob lol ^^
If you don't plan to gig with it, its definitely an option. You will probably need a distortion pedal to get metal and metalcore from it, as with just about every other amp in this price range. Here are a few other options you might consider, possibly along with a distortion, maybe EQ pedal:

Roland Cube

Peavey Vypyr

Line 6 Spider

Crate V18

I personally recommend the V18, i have the 212 version and it does metal very well with a Metal Muff pedal. Best advice I can give you is to go play some amps in your price range and see what you like. If you wanted to buy used, you can find some decent tube combos in your price range as well.
Quote by LordPino
So yeah, I'm about to buy an Epiphone LP Custom Ex Emg, with either EMG Hi-Z pickups or EMG- 81/85 pickups ( Epiphone says it has the 81/85s, store says Hi-Zs)
I wondered if it would sound good with a Marshall MG 30 DFX?
I play metal and metalcore by the way.

No, it's a terrible amp.

Buy a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Assuming that Marshall MG's are good is a very common misconception with beginners. I'm not saying they're bad as such, but you can get something much, much more worthwhile such as a Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr. However it's still completely subjective and you really should be playing them all at your local guitar store so you can compare them and decide which one works for you
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Copypasta from my profile, call me an ignorant asshole but that's the impression I have of EMGs in a lower end guitar plugged into a solid state amp like the Marshall MG:

Now how do I put this in a way that will not get me flamed?

I don't know, here goes:
If you happen to frequent the electric guitar forum, looking for advice on what to buy, specifically asking what will get you the best tone for your money - don't listen to n00b metalheads. I haven't meat a single one who knew what he was talking about and I doubt you will. The older ones who have some years of playing under their belt and who have tried different amps and guitars generally give good advice, but if you encounter someone with 'tallicamegade@thA7Xpanthera' or something as his username who tells you to get some cheapo guitar with EMGs because it will work brilliantly with your Marshall MG, turn around and RUN.

EMGs (and most active pups in general) don't sound good unless they're used in a professional guitar and with a matching tube amplifier.

If you have a solid state amp, a guitar with passive pickups is the better choice.

Well, I can't blame people for liking this or that. But usually musicians will get an ear for good tone with time and will be wondering why they bought a rig that sounds like a plane crash in the first place after a couple of years.
Active pups WILL get you a tone that is harsh and has a high frequency hiss if you don't use them with a proper amp and guitar, they WILL make your sound muddy if you're not careful with your EQ even if you're using good equipment and they WILL work brilliantly for metal, but only for that. I have yet to encounter active humbuckers that sound as good clean as they sound distorted.
Of course, if you want to sound like Metallica, they're pretty much a MUST.
But get the Mesa Triple Recto or whatever first.

Just remember that every time you play EMGs through an SS amp, God sends out another Canadian to go hunting for baby seals with a rusty meat hook.

I'm done venting, you can flame me now.

What I failed to point out is that active pickups like the EMG 81 and 85 don't sound good unless your guitar is of really really really high quality. Epis can be okay guitars, but active EMGs will kill the tone. For a description of what it will sound like, see above.
Now if the guitar has the Hz pickups, that's a different matter. They aren't the best passive pickups on the market, but they are not as horrible as some people make them out to be. With a proper amp, they can sound really good.
This brings me to my next point: The MG is not so very good. There are better amps out there for what it costs. Check out the Roland Cube30, Vox Valvetronix XL and Peavey Vypyr. Also the Line6 Flextone if you can afford it.
If you want that guitar (and I hope you're not dead set on it, because there are guitars which are ten times better for it's price imo) and if it actually has active EMGs instead of Hz passives, you are pretty much bound to look for a very pricey high quality tube amp.
^^^^ I think some people just get caught up to much with the whole active pups only sound good with tube amps, your wrong! (my user name makes me sound like a n00b) but your certainly right, MG's are one of the worst amps in production.
GEAR.

Schecter C1 FR Alpine White
Epi SG 310 (Heavily Modded)
Pod X3 Live
Orange AD30TC

YEAH!
Okay.
I just noticed a Roland Cube 15 is only 99 euros, which I think is quite cheap.
Would that be a DECENT( I don't want a VERY VERY good one, just a decent practice amp) amp for a guitar with EMG-81/85s?

Edit:
I can get a Roland Cube 15 for about 60 euros.
Secondhand, but still.
Last edited by LordPino at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by 13-GUITARIST
^^^^ I think some people just get caught up to much with the whole active pups only sound good with tube amps, your wrong!

I'm willing to admit that there are some guitars with active pups that sound good with certain solid state amps, but those are so rare and usually so expensive it's unlikely that they will be used together with a solid state amp any way. It doesn't even depend on what model the guitar is, it comes down to the individual instrument (because we know that each guitar is different, even two guitars with the same specs built by the same company can differ in tone).

Guitars with active humbuckers that I have tried that actually sounded good through a solid state amp:
- A modified Gibson LP Standard (only one so far, all other LPs with EMGs sounded bad so far)
- Framus Camarillo SE
- A custom guitar built by Walter Kraushaar (German luthier, I don't really expect anyone here to know him. He builds nice guitars though, worth a look.)

All others have been bad or mediocre at best, including Gibsons, Ibanezs and even ESPs. I figure that EMG pickups just have a sound all their own and it takes one helluva guitar to shape it into something a solid state amp can properly work with.

Now single coil EMGs are a totally different matter and I liked them through every remotely good amp so far, be it tube, ss, whatever. But the humbuckers........nope, not good, at least not to my ears.

And seeing as we're discussing an Epiphone with the 81/85 combo, I stand by what I posted. If you know of any guitars with EMGs worth trying though, please let me know, I take this stuff seriously and will check them out if I can.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To LordPino: The Cube15 is a nice amp, though I'd rather have the Microcube, because it is the same price, but has amp modeling like the Cube30, so you have lots of sounds to choose from:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_micro_cube.htm

And still, if the guitar you are getting has the 81 and 85, a solid state amp won't do you much good. It will sound inferior to a guitar with passives. If the guitar has the passive HZ pups, it should work a good bit better.

I'd still prefer a different guitar. Imo, Yamaha AES guitars are far better value - better sound and better craftsmanship. Epis tend to have quality control issues since the production was moved to China, so their reliability has been decreasing in recent years.

The Yamaha AES620:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_aes620_chg.htm

And some pics. I think it is way prettier than the Epi, especially the blue one:
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/3774/aesrbsgc2.jpg
http://courses.nus.edu.sg/course/ellgohbh/image8HP.JPG
http://www.labataka.com/images/uploads/y620_4.jpg
http://www.musik-service.de/images/prx/395679585/i01.jpg
http://image32.webshots.com/33/6/0/50/264160050jQRzOp_fs.jpg
Quailman, kudos for the explanations. I'm with you on the Yamaha AES guitar rec as well. TS - The cube 15 does not have the effects or amp modules that the Micro and Cube 30x have.

"Check out the Roland Cube30, Vox Valvetronix XL and Peavey Vypyr. Also the Line6 Flextone if you can afford it."
I second that as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 13-GUITARIST
^^^^ I think some people just get caught up to much with the whole active pups only sound good with tube amps, your wrong! (my user name makes me sound like a n00b) but your certainly right, MG's are one of the worst amps in production.

The reason so many people get caught up in it is because its true. Active pickups are basically a boost designed to push already overdriven tube amps harder. When used through a solid state amp, they cause transistor clipping which causes your amp to sound like poo.