I don't know if the local store is ordering any Deans... The one I'm looking at is a Dean Black Gold ML. I can get it from thomann.de for around 670€.

So is it stupid to buy a guitar before trying it? I have the opportunity to return it within 30 days, but I would have to pay for the shipping then (like 50€+).
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I hate to be the guy who says screw that buy this. But if you want Ml sound and the best feel on Earth, buy a Dime O Flame ML. Tried one at guitar center, it sounded good even out of a crappy Line 6 Spider 3.
Personally, I think that it is stupid to buy a guitar before you try it, even if you have the option to return it. Check out some music stores. They might have a better guitar there that you like more. That's what happened with me. I saw the Jackson DKMG online and i went into multiple stores and they all told me that the Jackson's were terrible, so I tried out an LTD MH-400 and loved it. But yeah, try 'em out first.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
Quote by Dio10101
I hate to be the guy who says screw that buy this. But if you want Ml sound and the best feel on Earth, buy a Dime O Flame ML. Tried one at guitar center, it sounded good even out of a crappy Line 6 Spider 3.

1000€

just sayin
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I've bought a guitar online before trying it...epiphone dove, and I have loved it. I researched it well before I made the purchase
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
OMG! Thousands of people order guitars online and theres nothing wrong with them! FFS think, what would be the difference between a shop guitar and an orderered one? Nothing, cause they are produced and set up in the same factory...
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Drakathan
OMG! Thousands of people order guitars online and theres nothing wrong with them! FFS think, what would be the difference between a shop guitar and an orderered one? Nothing, cause they are produced and set up in the same factory...

But hes never even played the famn thing...wow
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Dont buy unless you try. You can play 5 guitars of the same model and they all might be a bit different. If you are going to spend your hard earned cash on a Nice guitar try out as many of the same model as you can, you will be amazed...
Look up reviews to check the guitar is of decent quality first. Then maybe watch some videos on youtube with people playing them just to see if it is the right sound. (don't simply base your decision on the sound of professionals who use Dean, remember that they have sound technicians to help get their tone)

If you like the sound then look up the specs. See if your music store has anything with similar specs to try out. This is good just to see whether the feel of the guitar will be right for you.

(you may have done most/all of this)

If after all this you want it, then I'd say buy it.
I always recommend trying out a guitar if you can but sometimes when you see a deal at an on line retailer or on Ebay. You have to take a chance. It not stupid not trying one out if it's not possible to get your hands on one but do some research. I am lucky because all the guitars I have bought online were decent most needed set ups then they were awesome. Even trying a guitar out might make you walk away from buying it because it's not set up correctly or you can't try it thru the same type of amp you play thru and it doesn't sound right to you. The good thing is DEAN makes a good guitar and they are consistant so you have that going for you. Most DEANs I have tried were good even the low end ones. If you really want the guitar look and see if there are any retailers near you that might carry it if not talk to the local guitar shop and let them know your interested in that guitar and would they be getting any in stock. If not order it and take the chance odds are you'll like it and keep it.

John
Quote by Drakathan
what would be the difference between a shop guitar and an orderered one? Nothing, cause they are produced and set up in the same factory...
Evidently you've never heard of Quality Control.

Never, ever, buy a guitar without trying it first. And I don't just mean trying one model in a store then going online to get that special cheaper bargain price. Play it in store, and when you find the exact one that feels, plays and sounds right to you, you buy that exact one. Not one of the same type online, not another copy from the back of the store room - you buy that one you just played.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There's nothing wrong with buying online. If you can try out one or more at the store, at the same price as online then obviously that would be better. But if your store doesn't have it, get it online. People buy guitars online all the time and they're fine. I've done it before and ended up with really nice guitars. Just do your research first.

Here in my city the guitar stores don't carry much variety, so to get what I'm looking for, I usually have to order it.
I recommend trying the guitar before buying it. You may regret buying it afterward after you've realized it wasn't that feel you wanted to have.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Im in the same situation except im going to be spending about $1500. To me, if im forking over that much cash, I MUST play it before I buy it. It seems like a no-brainer to me. But if it was a cheaper guitar, i'd be content on ordering it online.

What's that website that shows you the actual guitar u get?
^yeah for sure.

For me, $500 (Canadian or American dollars) is the most I'd pay for a guitar without trying it first. Any more than that, I'd either find some store that has it so I can test it out, or not buy it at all
I bought both of mine online without playing them, and I don't regret it one bit. I love the feel of both of them, guess I lucked out.
I've done a lot of research - it sounds like I want it to sound, I've read rewievs and not a damn bad thing about the guitar.

I think I'm gonna buy it without trying it... If it doesn't suit my needs, I've learned a lesson!
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
^yeah, that's what I do. I search the net for a long time, reading and saving reviews onto my computer. And I'd search for soundclips, and on youtube for video demos to hear what it sounds like. After getting as much info as I can, I make my decision.
First, dont buy a Dean! Second, dont ever buy before trying. I would never order a guitar on-line. Exact same makes and models can vary, one can be great, one can be a lemon. A good example is Gibsons quality control nowdays. I know 2 guys that have got some lemon gibsons in the last month.
What the hell is wrong with Dean?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
^Nothing. Don't listen to generalizations about an entire brand. Find what you like and get it. The brand doesn't matter.
Quote by fila_93
What the hell is wrong with Dean?

Overrated, overpriced. Just not my style. To each their own.
Quote by Drakathan

I've been doing some research and the finish on some guitars varies A LOT! I was going to get a PRS SE Singlecut online, but after seeing how different the finishes can be I'm going to get it at a shop, or try and get them to pick one out for me from the warehouse or something if I do order it online
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
^why did you bump this thread anyway?
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
I would suggest trying it first, but looing at reviews on musicans friend could help too, but I will recommend you to try it first.
thank you guys for this discussion. I want to get me a Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Studio, so I am doing a lot of research before going to a store to play a few models and probably buy one (if it feels good).

My summary of this thread is as simple as this:

1) the perfect way of buying a guitar is trying it first, knowing how it feels in your very own hands and look if the material is all right.

2) not perfect, but still quite good: trying out a guitar and buy the same model online - there might be small differences in material and sound though

3) not so good: buying a model online that you've never played.
Last edited by busa54 at Feb 24, 2009,
Quote by Drakathan

go on order an expenssive guitar, then when you get it after a week or two, then try it, and find out that it doesnt have the tone or feel you wanted. You dont know this because you never tried it. Now return it and feel how much time you wasted because you made a gamble.

Buying a guitar you haven't tried doesnt necesarrely have anything to do with quality. But the feel and tone and many other things can leave you disappointed.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Try it and buy it from a small music shop, the salesmen/women are often nicer in these stores and they are often willing to haggle this is just my opinion though.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I didn't try my Jackson DK2M or my first ever guitar (Ibanez GRG170DX) before buying them. However, I strongly recommend you try before you buy, both my "blind-buys" turned out awesome, excellent choices, but I got lucky. Could've easily been quite bad now that I know what's out there.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Honestly, trying before you buy is not always practical. I, for one, don't live anywhere near a guitar shop that carries anything other than Fender. I would have to travel about a hundred miles to the nearest city if I wanted to even hope for a better selection, and then I would have to endure the city traffic. I am not going to go through that much of a headache just to test something out, because as luck would have it, what I was looking for wouldn't be there, either.

Just play it smart. What I do is look up as many detail shots as I can of a particular guitar I'm interested in, particularly of the neck, and then compare the images to my guitar. It's not perfect by any means, but if you're good at visualizing things, it'll give you an idea of what it might feel like when you're holding it.
Quote by Fox McKalen
Honestly, trying before you buy is not always practical. I, for one, don't live anywhere near a guitar shop that carries anything other than Fender. I would have to travel about a hundred miles to the nearest city if I wanted to even hope for a better selection, and then I would have to endure the city traffic. I am not going to go through that much of a headache just to test something out, because as luck would have it, what I was looking for wouldn't be there, either.

Just play it smart. What I do is look up as many detail shots as I can of a particular guitar I'm interested in, particularly of the neck, and then compare the images to my guitar. It's not perfect by any means, but if you're good at visualizing things, it'll give you an idea of what it might feel like when you're holding it.

Yeah I can't try out the guitars I wanna buy... my local shop only has Fenders and LTDs... Anyway I'm buying a Dean V79 from thomann.de, I've done a lot of research on it and I hope I get a good guitar.
GEAR

Dean V79
Randall RG50-TC
Roland MicroCube
dont do it, everything ive ever bought w/o trying it i was dissapointed by
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
So according to most people here, I can't take the word of two of my friends, of which one has been playing guitar since his childhood, that the other's Ibanez GRG 170DX lefty + Roland Cube 15x are in fine state for me to buy them off him, whereas the GRG170 was the exact guitar that I was looking into getting in the first place before I even found out the guy had one?
I've bought online without trying out many times. While I prefer buying in person, it's not absolutely necessary if the seller has a good return policy.

Dropping 50 Euros shipping to try out a guitar is pretty steep though. I would wait until you visit a place that has the model you're interested in and at least play one of those models before ordering online, if you've never played that type of guitar before.
Have you ever been in a store that had the selection of an online store? I bet you haven't. Online isn't bad. It's often cheaper since you don't pay tax and shipping. When I was looking for my Chrome/Silver American Deluxe strat with a maple board and my white RG2550Z, no stores in NYC had them in stock and they weren't getting any. They had to be special ordered. The funny thing about this is that they told me it would take anywhere from a week to a month to get them when I could order them online and they would be at my front door in 3 days. I would have to pay for them before ordering, even though I can get my money back if I don't like them. It's the exact same thing as ordering online. No need for the middle man. But before I ordered I did go to many stores and try their American Deluxe strats and Prestige RG's and S's. The condition of instruments I get online are often better than the ones I see in the store. Most guitars in a store are probably played at least 5 hours a week. It's even worst for expensive guitars, not because they're played more, but because they're on display longer. My GC has a Gibson Flying V there that's been there since May last year. It doesn't look brand new at all. It looks used. You don't have to be restricted by what your local stores offer.
I would not buy a low to mid level guitar online. I would definitely play one, find the one I like, and buy "that one." A friend of mind just got a guitar from an online store. The neck is f#$ked up, screws were halfway sticking out.
AL
Quote by JELIFISH19
Have you ever been in a store that had the selection of an online store? I bet you haven't. Online isn't bad. It's often cheaper since you don't pay tax and shipping. When I was looking for my Chrome/Silver American Deluxe strat with a maple board and my white RG2550Z, no stores in NYC had them in stock and they weren't getting any. They had to be special ordered. The funny thing about this is that they told me it would take anywhere from a week to a month to get them when I could order them online and they would be at my front door in 3 days. I would have to pay for them before ordering, even though I can get my money back if I don't like them. It's the exact same thing as ordering online. No need for the middle man. But before I ordered I did go to many stores and try their American Deluxe strats and Prestige RG's and S's. The condition of instruments I get online are often better than the ones I see in the store. Most guitars in a store are probably played at least 5 hours a week. It's even worst for expensive guitars, not because they're played more, but because they're on display longer. My GC has a Gibson Flying V there that's been there since May last year. It doesn't look brand new at all. It looks used. You don't have to be restricted by what your local stores offer.

Yeah I plan to do that also, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to pay for it, if I'm not satisfied with it.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Last edited by tweeb at Feb 24, 2009,