I did a quick search and didn't find anything on the first page, sorry if there's a thread for this.

I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half and I've realised that my vibrato technique is different to most other guitarists; they move their entire hand whereas I only move my fingers. Sometimes I don't even move the string and do that 'classical' violin-esque vibrato.

Basically I'm asking how you should do a proper vibrato. I've looked around on youtube and google, and basically they just say "move your hand and you finger will move too". Well...it doesn't...

Help appreciated
Do what feels right for you. Some may criticize your form, but all in all its just what works best for you.
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

Actually, just bend the string up and down really fast.
That's it.
But it takes time and practise to get a nice sound out of it.
Quote by LordPino
Actually, just bend the string up and down really fast.
That's it.
But it takes time and practise to get a nice sound out of it.

Moving the string up and down really fast does not mean good vibrato.

Your vibrato will take time to develop and you have to use it accordingly with the piece and how YOU feel it should sound.

Personally, I move the string up and down depending on the speed of the piece, one of the most important bits of vibrato is to make sure each "pulse" of your vibrato is even, otherwise it'll sound like ****.

When you're bending and want to add vibrato, it's better to reach the pitch of the bend first THEN add a bit of vibrato otherwise it might sound like you never reached the bend pitch and it'll sound like crap.
1) Place your 3rd finger on the note you want to play
2) Place your 1st and 2nd on the 2 frets above this. this will provide added strength and control.
3) Get your the curve formed between your thumb and 1st around around the curve o the neck.
4) Vibrate string by tightening and relaxing your gring and moving all 3 fingers.

As a tip, don't go into a note thinking "OMG I gotta have vibrato on this note!!!!" and starting the vibrato straight away. It just sounds ugly.

Instead wait for the note to begin to fade slightly then kick in with some wide or more subtle stuff. Sounds much better and makes you sound better.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
Quote by Azza Dutt
1) Place your 1st and 2nd on the 2 frets above this

I think you mean place them on the 2 frets below the fret that has the 3rd finger.
I think you'll find that's a matter of perspective
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
well, its always a good idea to reinforce any bending techniques

"proper" vibrato will come from the hand, its muscles are much larger and smoother than the fingers, try keeping your fingers a little flatter maybe, or try grabbing the neck with the baseball bat approach

and keep practicing, what you can do is ring your open E, then hit up the E on your A string (7th fret), go down one-half step, and then there is a reference pitch to tune your bending to
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
well, its always a good idea to reinforce any bending techniques

"proper" vibrato will come from the hand, its muscles are much larger and smoother than the fingers, try keeping your fingers a little flatter maybe, or try grabbing the neck with the baseball bat approach

and keep practicing, what you can do is ring your open E, then hit up the E on your A string (7th fret), go down one-half step, and then there is a reference pitch to tune your bending to

Vibrato that goes up and down half a step is going to sound God awful.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Vibrato that goes up and down half a step is going to sound God awful.

Quote by DeathByDestroyer
pitch to tune your bending to

good left-hand bending would translate to decent vibrato, i was thinking
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
good left-hand bending would translate to decent vibrato, i was thinking

Yes but the point of vibrato is to have the note waver in and out of pitch ever so slightly, not half a step out, that's way too big.
It doesn't matter, you do whatever works for you - everybody's vibrato technique is slightly different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
to be honest dude everyone has different styles and approaches to techniques, but if you really want to know, i use my wristas the power to mine, sort of like turning a door knob...or breaking a guys knob...you grab it, twist your wrist and your fingers move too.

For the record...ive never groped a guys knob, my girlfriend wouldn't appreciate it
Thanks everyone. I reckon I'll keep doing what I'm doing, it seems to work well. I can't get this wrist thingy going; my wrist moves but the tip of the finger I'm using for the vibrato just stays where it is, so w/e.
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter, you do whatever works for you - everybody's vibrato technique is slightly different.

This.

And also, you can use different techniques of vibrato for different sounds. Listen to BB King, he easily has the sweetest vibrato ever.