Hi guys,
to preface: I tried searching for this topic, but couldn't find one matching well so if there's one I've missed please direct me to it (and easy on the flames as this is my first post )

Anyhow, the time has come for me to finally get a proper amp. I've been playing for about 5 years and have never really bothered about tone and stuff... I've just been focusing on trying to get my chops up a bit. I'm currently using a Line 6 Spider III which I've come to understand is crap according to most people. As you can probably tell: I know ****-all about amps

I'll mostly be playing through my LTD Alexi-600 (switching to SD Blackouts in a few weeks), and obviously I play pretty much exclusively metal. I'm not in a band, and I play only for my own enjoyment in my apartment, so I'm not after something to work in a gig situation, just something to rattle my balls a bit.

As for price range, I can go up to about $1000 if it's worth it, but of course I'd be happy if there's a cheaper alternative than that.

Thanks for any help you can give me guys!

oh, and merry christmas.
Last edited by snuttjulle at Dec 19, 2008,
what p-ups are in it?

the passive EMG-HZ?

I'd say - first don't go active unless you really know what you're doing. You'll probably experience later on that it sounds really sterile. And depending on the amp, with that much output there's a good chance of it sounding muddy.
I'd keep the p-up - then get an amp, and then later on decide wether to change the p-up.

I'd say you could try and find a cheap used lee jackson - really awesome sounding, really good quality and the older ones are payable.

You could also try and see if you could find a cheap Peavey 5150.

If you wanna go with something new, I'd say you'd wait till you have more cash.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Thanks for your answer Phantom!

I hear what you're saying about the pups, sounds wise to wait until I know what setup I'm going to be keeping for a while. And yes, it's the stock passive hz h4 that's installed atm, and I've never run that through anything other than my Line 6.

Unfortunately I live in crappy-ass Sweden which means that the gear I can get is severely limited. Us europeans have the choice of ordering from a german shop that stocks most things, but sadly neither the Peavey 5150 or any Lee Jacksons were available anywhere that I could find.

Also, from what I could see from googling around both those are just heads, right? Meaning I would need a cabinet as well, which would push up the price ever further?
no...there's combos. And if you cant find the 5150, try and look around for the 6505/6505+
yah u cant order a 5150 they changed the name to 6505 and 6505 + when evh stoped endorsing them. and id deff go with a used 5150/6505 or maybe a mesa roadster.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Mesa Boogie is definately not out, there seems to be quite a few of them floating about...

However I dunno if it's due to being shipped from America or something, but the prices for the ones you've suggested are way higher than what I'm going for:

I found the Peavey 6505 212 Combo for $1600, and the Mesa Boogie Roadster 112 for about $4000 at the german store www.thomann.de (and they're usually the cheapest I can find)... am I looking at the right models or are there cheaper ones?

again, thanks for all the help guys!