I'm not really into metalcore that much, but damn this bothers me. For some reason I cannot play these kinds of riffs. Before anybody gets confused here is what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH6YmOvmSVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8PE4KaMkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShgiW2C9vjI

I get pains in my shoulder and cannot pick fast when I play these. I dunno if it's my technique or not. How do I get better at these? Do the downstoke or upstoke the low E?
Alternate picking..... You should not try riffs like these if you are unexperienced. Start with simpler metal riffs (if thats what you listen to) for example some powerchord riffs at low speeds.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
heh all i can say is don't expect to learn to play protest the hero easily the stuff off fortress isn't the easiest thing to play and you should slow down what you play so you can play accurately first and then slowly build up your speed.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
heh all i can say is don't expect to learn to play protest the hero easily the stuff off fortress isn't the easiest thing to play and you should slow down what you play so you can play accurately first and then slowly build up your speed.

Well the song I posted I can play the intro until the metalcore-ish stuff kicks in. I can also play palms read intro close to full speed until the arpeggios. So it isn't like I'm a complete noob at guitar either. I just struggle with these riffs.
Also what should it look like if I'm suppose to Alt pick the riffs? As in what stoke am I suppose to start with for each string?
just keep practicing, from what i see I'm sure the prob is the efficiency of the alternated picking...prob getting "caught up" somewhere where its a rush to get to another note....remember diff genres all have there little techniques u gotta get down first
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled
Also what should it look like if I'm suppose to Alt pick the riffs? As in what stoke am I suppose to start with for each string?

Definetly downstrokes. Personally, I use all down strokes until I literally can't anymore (tempo-wise) because it sounds heavier. But once I switch, I always lead with downstrokes.
Downbeats=Downstrokes. Almost always.
If it s string skipping you having trouble with, alternate picking is your ticket. Like for my band, I wrote a rift that alternates between the low E string and D-String. Try down stroking the closest string, which in this case would be the low E, and then up-stroking the next string you want to use, here, the D-string. It takes some practice, but I've found it makes playing metalcore riffs a lot easier and it keeps it cleaner. Or you could just work on downstroking like a fiend. It wears you hand out a lot faster than alternate picking but it does sound heavier imo

For speed picking, if you want to increase you speed, get a metronome and do a warm up. Set the metronome for 80 bpm to begin with and alternate pick every string. Gradually work your way up to your maximum speed, adding 10 bpm every time you play all the strings. If you really want to increase you speed, go 10 bpm beyond your max and try playing that. Hope this helps
Well kinda depends on your guitar, I can pull those riffs of easily on my washburn but it's really sloppy when I try to play it on my fender.
I learned to play metalcore-ish riffs by covering Bring Me The Horizon (well ye it's kinda deathcore) like Medusa,For Stevie Wonders Eyes Only,Pray for Plagues and Liquor and Love Lost.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
well, when i play metalcore for one of my bands, i do all downstrokes.
for some reason i just dont like the feel of it when i alternate pick.

but when playing all downstrokes, you gotta be hella fast.
but once you get it, its not hard at all, in fact its pretty boring.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
It's just a simple matter of practice. When I started to play metalcore I had a lot of trouble, especially because they just HAVE to put a palm mute in between EVERY other goddamn note....

Just practice a LOT. It feels good once you get it.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled
What about riffs that involve the low E and A string?

Straight up down-strokes
However, if you really want those A string notes to really ring out, add a really percussive accent to each of those notes. Heres an example with a riff I've written:

e------------------------------------------------------|
B------------------------------------------------------|
G------------------------------------------------------|
D------------------------------------------------------|
A----------10------7-----9----5-------3h5h3-2-|
E-----0-0-----0-0----0-----0----0-0-------------|

Its all downstoked, but each A string note has a little more umpf in it allowing it to be heard better
I agree with most of what's posted and you need to just practice more. I would reccomened trying different positions of the way you hold your guitar. I can't play for sh*t sitting down I get pains in my wrist and right shoulder but when I stand and have my guitar adjusted just right on the strap I can play for hours on end without much fatigue at all.

John
Just try easier metalcore stuff to get started. Take something like Right Side of the Bed (Atreyu) or ike Light To Flies (Trivium) for example and start off with them, then progress into harder territory as you get used to that sort of stuff.
i would say practise, practise, practise.. sure it might be hard to play now but practise enough and ull be able to play them in your sleep.. also start out with easier songs, try b4mv- hit the floor, b4mv- cries in vein or somethin similar..
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled
I'm not really into metalcore that much, but damn this bothers me. For some reason I cannot play these kinds of riffs. Before anybody gets confused here is what I'm talking about:

I get pains in my shoulder and cannot pick fast when I play these. I dunno if it's my technique or not. How do I get better at these? Do the downstoke or upstoke the low E?

It obviously is, or you would be able to play them.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Kill0rBeKilled

Firstly...You call Dark Tranquillity metalcore again and I'll have to hurt you...

Secondly, I personally use downstrokes on the lower strings and upstrokes for basically everything else past about 195bpm.

There are two things that you need to keep in mind when using large amounts of downpicking:

1 - Keep relaxed.

2 - It takes a huge amount of stamina to play riffs like those, work on playing with nothing but downstrokes at the fastest speed you can for as long as you can while keeping relaxed, stop, shake it out and do it again. Do this as often as you can and you should build up a lot of stamina reasonably quickly (it'll still take a couple of months at least, probably much longer).
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have the exact problem ive been playing guitar for a year now and im good at it but when it comes to fast downstrokes i have trouble...damn i sometimes cant even play master of puppets!!! also those metalcore riffs i do alternate now and its easier if you only hit one open string in E string and one note in lower string but if its different things change. anyway i dont think my picking technique is false it looks quite right but i have trouble with them :/
Quote by blind.quardian
I have the exact problem ive been playing guitar for a year now and im good at it but when it comes to fast downstrokes i have trouble...damn i sometimes cant even play master of puppets!!! also those metalcore riffs i do alternate now and its easier if you only hit one open string in E string and one note in lower string but if its different things change. anyway i dont think my picking technique is false it looks quite right but i have trouble with them :/

I'll say it again so you don't miss it:

Downpicking is almost all about stamina!

You have to work on it like you do other exercise: pushing yourself as hard as you can as often as you can while maintaining good technique.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
alternate picking man

i started learning riffs with just straight up/down/up/down on two strings like:

- 7 10 9 7
-0 0 0 0

then moved onto adding in more open notes, then moved onto barring with different frets on the low strings

i learned a bunch of killswitch enage and at the gates songs

i will also hurt anybody who calls dark tranquillity or at the gates metalcore too
Top lel.
I used to have this problem too but what i did was probably just me, I would be playing a black dahlia murder song and i would start to get tired but since i was really into it i would continue playing harder and harder.. Eventually i would finish the song and my hands would kill me but i noticed after a month or so i could play various songs very quickly without having to stop.
I guess pick a song you really like and just go for it?
The dissentience is like one of the funnest songs around, some parts like the few sweeps are challenging but it's mostly fun riff after fun riff.