Page 1 of 2
Ok i plan to go to new york to study art.
Anyone here that lives there ?

Opinions of the city?

Things to do... things to avoid doing there?

Im planning to visit in june next year, and am looking for an apartment in the city .
Avoid the people?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Fr the love of god, stay away from jersey! NY and NJ have a longstanding feud. but if you Do come near jersey, use your damn blinkers and you're fine
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
my brother just graduated from NYU.
i like the city, personally.

possibilities are endless: clubs, museums, parks, etc.
You name it; it's there.
Quote by entity0009
I once death-metal growled at my mother. Her response was

GENERAL of the ESP Army! I want YOU to Join NOW!
Quote by Rockingbird
Fr the love of god, stay away from jersey! NY and NJ have a longstanding feud. but if you Do come near jersey, use your damn blinkers and you're fine

Dude i dont think anyone in KC knows what a blinker is. Pisses me off sooo bad...
Go to New Jersey and tell Jon Bon Jovi that I think he is awesome, avoid eye contact with the locals, don't circle-jerk over the statue of Liberty and have a look at the museums.
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
Things to do? restaurants etc...

Things to avoid?

This type of ppl

So that was pretty racist. This is the second time I've seen you around, and you've made an idiot of yourself both times
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
New York is only the art capital because they stole all the artists from Paris during the war.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
So that was pretty racist. This is the second time I've seen you around, and you've made an idiot of yourself both times

do you think I care liitle boy?
Quote by kyshack
Dude i dont think anyone in KC knows what a blinker is. Pisses me off sooo bad...

Ugh I feel your pain. The drivers are especially bad in the Overland Park and Olathe areas. Bunch of uppity assholes...
Quote by mary_had_a_lil
do you think I care liitle boy?

You need to work on your condescending remarks.

Take it to my Private Message Inbox.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by SoWrongItsMatt
You need to work on your condescending remarks.

Take it to my Private Message Inbox.

btw wtf is RAZZLE FRAZZLE doing in guitar forums? you're in wrong place my friend
Ok, let's keep in mind that this is a thread about what to do in NEW YORK CITY not mary_had_a_lil to offend people.
Troll somewhere else please. Thank you

Now, in New York, I would definitely recommend seeing a show or two if you are into that. Tickets can be pretty pricey, but if you aren't afraid of the cheap seats you'll be ok!

Check out the local places, not just corporate establishments. There is nothing wrong with seeing all the touristy things, or playing on the piano in FAO Schwartz, but explore elsewhere! There is A LOT of good food and entertainment that is unique to New York. One thing that is a must however, is eating a hot dog from a street vendor. I'm not kidding you, that was one of my favorite meals in the city. They are absolutely amazing (even if a bit overpriced).

Most of all, do what you want. If none of this stuff I mentioned fits your fancy, that is ok, it isn't my trip!

Now as far as living in the city, I have no idea, but I have visited a few times so these are just a few tips I have gleaned from those experiences. Have fun!
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
Ooh, what about the Hard Rock Cafe there? Isn't it meant to be the best one?

Also, no murdering me - I haven't yet stepped foot in the US, so I wouldn't exactly know all about that.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK

Honk if you love cake! HONK!!
It's really not all that great. Just stay away from the Bronx, and dark alleys, and talk to no one unless you have to and you should be fine.

Just remember, most people who live in NYC are asshats. They don't know what manners are.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Steel Skins
Oh you should check out the twin towers, I hear they're really cool.

That's not fucking funny.

You just put shame to every single person who died in those planes and the towers. Not to mention all of the brave firefighters and cops who died long afterward from lung cancer.

You are a disgusting excuse for a human being. Get off your pussy-ass computer and come to New York and say that, we'll see how tough you are.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Wulphy
That's not fucking funny.

You just put shame to every single person who died in those planes and the towers. Not to mention all of the brave firefighters and cops who died long afterward from lung cancer.

You are a disgusting excuse for a human being. Get off your pussy-ass computer and come to New York and say that, we'll see how tough you are.

Cool, that does sound delicious.
my advice, rent in jersey, you have no clue how expensive an apartment. you wont get anything bigger than a closet for under 1500 per month.

o, and become a new JERSEY jets/giants fan because they belong to us here in jersey.
Quote by Wulphy
It's really not all that great. Just stay away from the Bronx, and dark alleys, and talk to no one unless you have to and you should be fine.

Just remember, most people who live in NYC are asshats. They don't know what manners are.

Lived in the bronx for 11 years. Its way over hyped by the media. police pressence is so strong that the crime rate is actually equal to that of the average suburb.

Get a subway pass (if they still have them) walk dont drive, don take a cab, dont tak ea bus, walk or subway Always leave 10 minutes before you were planning to. Keep all valubles in your front pocket, crowded areas are heaven for pickpockets. Its rellly nothing special.
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Quote by Steel Skins

My uncle was a firefighter. He died that day. YOU know how!? saving the ****ing people your poking fun at in those ****ing towers. i say we put pimply faced immature 14 year fappers like you in jail!
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Renting an apartment in the city is hella expensive.. A decent to nice one is 2k to 3k /month.

Other than that, go check out Time Square. Loads of fun and plenty of places to check out.
For real.
14th street between 5th and 6th. just lettin you know where huge Guitar Center is. tis right near my high school and i spend plenty of time in there
Quote by Steel Skins

where do you live, i just finished packing, i am going to come to your house, skin your family, whip you with thier intestines, and then suffocate you in your moms vagina.
Two words dude: Greenwich Village. Greatest place on Earth.
Honestly though, don't be worried about getting mugged or anything. Keep it in the back of your head, yes, but don't let it ruin your experience. New York City is the greatest city in the world, in my opinion. Enjoy it.

And amason51, New Jersey smells way too bad to be home to a football team as good as the NEW YORK Giants.
Quote by JewMasatFlex
astepabove for president?

Wanna buy a duck?
Look for an apartment in Hoboken unless you have a lot of money to pay rent with.
12 fret fury
Quote by RPGoof
Don't drive, it'll be faster to walk.

Best advice i seen on UG.

Seriously i met some of the nicest people ever in New York. I don't know where you guys get your information.
One thing though,rent is expensive. Look for a spot in Astoria, its in Queens. Best area you can be. Everything you need you can reach by walking for five minutes. Lots of clubs, bars, caffes in the area and other hangout spots.

If you go to China Town or the village always give them less then what they ask for when buying something. If they say no walk away,they will call u back and sell it to you.
If you don't bother anyone then you will be ok.
Quote by Rockingbird

You definitely have this backwards. You NJ people come into NY and don't use your blinkers. Ever. Seriously, I live right over the border (North, not by the city) and you people NEVER use blinkers.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The city sucks because it's right next to Jersey. Long Island is where it's at.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by IlikeTheSKA
The city sucks because it's right next to Jersey. Long Island is where it's at.

Meh.
I'm from Nassau county, and I like the city better.
Quote by JewMasatFlex
astepabove for president?

Wanna buy a duck?
Why? Do you have problems with your sleep?

Enjoy it! I've always wanted to go. One day...
Like everyone says, the city never sleeps. I would avoid driving, IMO, because they are friggin psycho. Cab drivers will stop in the middle of the road to pick someone up without warning. I don't live there, but I've been there a lot. Its a lot of fun.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by BelowZero

My uncle was a firefighter. He died that day. YOU know how!? saving the ****ing people your poking fun at in those ****ing towers. i say we put pimply faced immature 14 year fappers like you in jail!

Quote by amason51
where do you live, i just finished packing, i am going to come to your house, skin your family, whip you with thier intestines, and then suffocate you in your moms vagina.

You people act as if he's spitting on their graves.
Last edited by blackflag49 at Dec 21, 2008,
Today I drove four hours to the airport to find out my ****ing flight was cancelled and the next flight to New York was on Wednesday night. What sucks super bad is that I'm still going to be leaving on Sunday so I'll only have three days in the city.

ajgnaw;erng;senreg;snergv;kjner;vjkner
Page 1 of 2