ALREADY SEARCHED

alright so ive decided to build a test guitar (make sure i know what im doing so i dont **** up my nice mahogany) out of pine since ive heard it sounds really nice and down here in georgia its very cheap. anyways i also know that pine isnt that strong of a wood, that it might bend some.

the question, if im building a les paul style guitar will it need something like a maple cap or something to keep it from warping or will it hold up fine?

no im not making a neck out of it, im not that dumb
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Nah. Just don't drop it down a flight of stairs.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Nah. Just don't drop it down a flight of stairs.

how am i supposed to relic it then?
haha just playing.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Actually string tension might cause the bridge to tear out just be really carefully when tightening up the strings
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
Actually string tension might cause the bridge to tear out just be really carefully when tightening up the strings

TS, you can solve the quoted problem (if it worries you) by dowelling in some oak round stock where the bridge posts will be installed. The round stock can easily be found at lowes or home depot.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
alright, will do. i wont have any problems with the neck and neck screws or anything right?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

fender used to make pine teles and the new squier vintage things are pine.
Quote by supergerbil
fender used to make pine teles and the new squier vintage things are pine.

thats what i thought, but didnt know if it had extra supports or not, like a maple cap or something
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

A cap on a Fender designed guitar? That would never happen!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
A cap on a Fender designed guitar? That would never happen!

its my guitar, i may open a black hole doing it but i might do it anyways!
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

if your still insure about strength you can cut the pine into 3 pieces and then turn the middle piece 90 degrees. It will be stronger. With the neck pocket, i'd say set neck. But if you wanted to do a bolt on for ease, maybe make the neck pocket out of some stronger sort of wood.

Or ultimately, do a neck through, if you do a maple neck through everything that has tension on it will be screwed onto a nice strong piece of wood
alright, i was hoping to make it completely from pine for expenses sake, but ill see what i can get my hands on
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

use nuts and washer and extra long screws, secure them on the side where your body is, preferably in a somewhat routered out section so it doesn't hurt to play them blues.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ill check out my grandads shop and some lumber yards too then, plus it sounds like it would look neat if it was just sealed and left natural
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by guitarcam123
if your still insure about strength you can cut the pine into 3 pieces and then turn the middle piece 90 degrees. It will be stronger. With the neck pocket, i'd say set neck. But if you wanted to do a bolt on for ease, maybe make the neck pocket out of some stronger sort of wood.

You can't do that with a body, unless you want a 6 inch wide body that's like 4 inches thick...
Quote by ohspyro89
You can't do that with a body, unless you want a 6 inch wide body that's like 4 inches thick...

Eh?

Arguments sake= 3 sheets of pine 20"x20"x1". Middle sheet turned 90 degrees so the grain runs at right-angles to the top and bottom sheet then glued and clamped.

One piece=20"x20"x3"

How does it not work? That's not my fighting talk I genuinely can't see it not working.
Last edited by bellerophon at Dec 20, 2008,
hmm, I think you get different types of pine, and some are stronger than others. I'm sure the stuff IKEA use is harder than the stuff out of B & Q etc.

Wow! Those look awesome!
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
im digging that grain
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by Ippon
One of the reasons why Pine is used heavily on floors.

im not surprised.

well i think we have a large selection of pine in my grandads shop, and alot of mystery wood that i think my grandad said was something like walnut or oak (or some other archery wood, i made my own bow once when i was into archery hunting).

the wood is weird.. its like completely black or a very dark brown, its very old but not warped. VERY tough wood, anyone know what it could be from those details? ill try to get a picture...
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by Ippon
Black Walnut?

DOH!

your probably right, why didnt i think of that?
duhh me, anyways, is it a decent guitar wood?
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Walnut (Juglans nigra):
Luxurious coloring and grain patterns are the earmarks of Walnut. Whether using an oil finish or a deep clear gloss, the pleasing appeal of Walnut always delivers. This is an open grained wood. Walnut is in the heavy weight category but it's not quite as heavy as hard maple. It has a similar sound to hard maple but it tends not to be as bright.

well if i can find a saw to cut it ill use it then!

would it be ok to have two pieces on top of each other? i think we have mostly about 3/4-1 inch thick pieces.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by LP Addict
most bows use hickory/ash because of the bending properties. im gonna build one one of these days.

i got really into it for a while, i made one out of white oak and another out of osage orange.

pretty fun stuff!
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.