Page 1 of 2
This film that was made in 1970 covered the important parts of the Woodstock Film Festival, the largest Hippie gathering.
It had performances from The Who, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Santana, and ended with Jimi Hendrix.
About three hours in length I presume because it was a Director's cut DVD that I rented.

I ended up skipping most of the parts, though.
It had some bands that I have never heard of.
It begun with a black folk singer/guitarist with the largest hands, which was pretty interesting.
Some performances that I was excited were boring, which were the Jefferson Airplane one with the sleepy blues solo, and the single song by Joplin.

Santana was very good, one of my favorite parts.
He wasn't the best part of it, it was the backup band.
The drums were just Amazing with a capital letter and the keyboards were phenomenal.

But the REAL highlight of the show was NOT Jimi Hendrix (go on crucify me), but it was the two songs that the Who performed.
They were "See Me, Feel Me" and "Summertime Blues".
Hendrix was great, but it wasn't that phenomenal. He did have skills and you can see his obvious influence on the heavy metal that came in the 80s, but not that musically interesting.

Overall, unless you are a huge fan of folk or 60's rock, you might not fully enjoy this, but Hendrix, Santana, and especially The Who might make this movie worth a watch.

I give it a 7.5/10
Thats fantastic, thank you for sharing that.

But seriously, perhaps you should make a review, not a thread.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
chea, see me feel me is quite epip in woodstock
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
I thought the Woodstock film kinda sucked. They cut out almost all of Hendrix's performance (which was great, if you watch the whole thing) and didn't even show CCR, although you can find a little of that footage if you look.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany
I thought the Woodstock film kinda sucked. They cut out almost all of Hendrix's performance (which was great, if you watch the whole thing) and didn't even show CCR, although you can find a little of that footage if you look.

They didn't show the Greatful Dead too, which sucked, and Hey Joe.
Quote by sargasm
You're nuts. The best part was Sha Na Na.

Sha Na Na was pretty good, but not the greatest...
Quote by guitarkid2113
That black guy with the biggest hands is Richie Havens and he's bomb.

he looked at home with an acoustic than any other guitarist that I've seen.
Quote by thankyougermany

I think the movie was more about showing the festival as a whole and giving some previews of a few acts. If you notice a good portion of the movie is devoted to just interviewing people. If you want to see Hendrix's performance, there is a full video of that out there.

Quote by radomu
They didn't show the Greatful Dead too, which sucked, and Hey Joe.

The Dead's performance was bogged with electronic issues and their set wasn't really noted as being one of their better shows.
Quote by Shpongled
I think the movie was more about showing the festival as a whole and giving some previews of a few acts. If you notice a good portion of the movie is devoted to just interviewing people. If you want to see Hendrix's performance, there is a full video of that out there.

The Dead's performance was bogged with electronic issues and their set wasn't really noted as being one of their better shows.

Hendrix was better at Fillmore East
Shpongled pretty much summed this thread up

the better part of Hendrix's performance wasen't even put on the DVD
You are nearly 40 years too late.

♥ ♥

Newfags can't Loveforce.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Yamaha Pacifica
Peavey JD acoustic
Vox AC30VT
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Shpongled pretty much summed this thread up

the better part of Hendrix's performance wasen't even put on the DVD

I didn't think they needed the star spangled banner, the worst tune in history.
CCR actually requested to not be put in the movie, because they didn't feel they performed to their full potential. Part of that was because the grateful dead played WAY past their time slot, and CCR had to go on right after them.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
CCR actually requested to not be put in the movie, because they didn't feel they performed to their full potential. Part of that was because the grateful dead played WAY past their time slot, and CCR had to go on right after them.

disappointing, considering I've never actually looked into the band Greatful Dead
What are your thoughts on Canned Heat and Sly and the Family Stone after watching this?

Man, one day, I smoked a huge joint outside, then came back to the TV, and I changed the channel, and it was right when Sly and the Family Stone came on the stage, and in the black light and ****... MAN. That movie introduced me to so many new artists...
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
It was more to highlight the culturual significancce of the whoe event.

I mean over 500,000 people gathered all drunk and stoned and no violence at all? Imagine that happening today....

It still amazes me how we've lost all the ideals we were trying to obtain in the 60s.
wooptie damn doo for you.

soooooo this was your review? thank you! up until I didn't want to see this until a stranger on the internet reviewed it for me.

thank you.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Ok....thanks for that synopsis.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by deflower-her
It was more to highlight the culturual significancce of the whoe event.

I mean over 500,000 people gathered all drunk and stoned and no violence at all? Imagine that happening today....

It still amazes me how we've lost all the ideals we were trying to obtain in the 60s.

I think two people died...

and two kids were born, I applaud these pregnant mothers that came to the festival to enjoy music
Quote by wizards?
God will you stop making threads? I mean that's at least two today!

Seriously. You've made almost a hundred threads in like 3 months.

On topic. it wasn't one of Hendrix's better performances. The bad was really under-rehearsed. Check out a Jimi Hendrix Experience show from around 1968. They were really at the top of their game.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by radomu
I think two people died...

and two kids were born, I applaud these pregnant mothers that came to the festival to enjoy music

well one guy was killed because he was sleeping in a sleeping bad and got run over by a steamroller thing.

And the other one was an accidental heroin OD. Not exactly to violent deaths.
Quote by radomu
I didn't think they needed the star spangled banner, the worst tune in history.

Yea I didn't get that... It was just a bunch of noise.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Wow. Youre lame. Its one of my favorite movies.

I give it a 88257432649752942 / 10

The folk singer you talk of is Ritchie Havens. He made that song up on the spot during that performance.

The real version is really like 10 or 15 hours long. I saw the 5 hour version but I definently need to see the whole double-digit hour version.

I think all the performances were great. And I love the mentality they had.... loved watching those interviews with various people in between songs.
Quote by snipelfritz
Best Part of Woodstock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko

Gives me shivers every time.

No way.... for me itd have to be the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHw9b4BBV9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVEUbIgJa9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsnUu71Viyo (SoCal FTW!)
Quote by Valderama
K koo.

It's "k, koo"
noob
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by floppypick
Yea I didn't get that... It was just a bunch of noise.

I don't like the original anthem anyway, I prefer God Save the Queen or the anthem of the Soviet Union to be more melodical and epic.
Star Spangled sounds like a cheap composition, which makes sense because it was written by a POW on a British ship during the war of 1812.
Quote by Twist of fate
I wish someone taped the Abbie Hoffman incident.
That was so badass

+1
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
and you made a thread of this because??

He can do what the hell he wants.
If you don't like it then why the **** post in it?
Ffs people.
Page 1 of 2