Hey guys,

So hybrid amps are a combo between solid state and tube amps. Is it ok to use overdrive pedals with hybrid amps? ive been hearing you should use distort with SS and OD with tube. Any info you have on this matter would be helpful. I am looking into getting a personal amp and looking at roland cube, vypyr, and valvetronix which have been widely suggested to me and are all hybrids. Thanks!!
Quote by drywater101
cube isnt, but vyprp is. sorry

Only two models of the Vypyr are hybrids - the two that have the tubes. The rest of the vypyrs are just SS modelers, as are the Cubes and the Valvetronixes.

I wouldn't recommend using an OD with any of those because modelers generally don't take pedals well - they are designed to sound decent with the effects that are built into them.
Idk. I really don't know much about that kind of stuff.
I do know I have a valvetronix and use a Digitech Metal Master pedal.
and It sounds beautiful.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Only two models of the Vypyr are hybrids - the two that have the tubes. The rest of the vypyrs are just SS modelers, as are the Cubes and the Valvetronixes.

I wouldn't recommend using an OD with any of those because modelers generally don't take pedals well - they are designed to sound decent with the effects that are built into them.

Actually, the Valvetronix are all "hybrid" as far as I know, they have a single 12AX7 in them.

OD pedals actually sound pretty good on some Solid State amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by i_am_metalhead

+1

Dont know much about Valvetronixes though... So dont quote me there.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Actually, the Valvetronix are all "hybrid" as far as I know, they have a single 12AX7 in them.

OD pedals actually sound pretty good on some Solid State amps.

I stand corrected on the Valvetronix - I didn't know they had a preamp tube.

However, for the sake of recommending something to a person who doesn't know that much I would stray from suggesting the use of pedals in conjunction with a modeling amp.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I stand corrected on the Valvetronix - I didn't know they had a preamp tube.

However, for the sake of recommending something to a person who doesn't know that much I would stray from suggesting the use of pedals in conjunction with a modeling amp.

This^. I have a fair bit of modeling gear and about the only pedal you can get away with using is an EQ. Everything else colors the tone way to much.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
actually the valvetronix has a preamp tube has a power amp tube
so the use a 12ax7 has a power amp tube
i read it somewhere, i think it helps because it is one of the best sounding modelers and hybrids i've played
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
actually the valvetronix has a preamp tube has a power amp tube
so the use a 12ax7 has a power amp tube
i read it somewhere, i think it helps because it is one of the best sounding modelers and hybrids i've played
This is true. The Valvetronix amps have 12AX7 in the poweramp to assist in output tube like compression. The preamp is digital.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I've used a DS-1 on my valvetronix and it sounds fine, just make sure you're using a clean setting and not an already over-driven tone.