Page 1 of 2
I was using a tutorial to set up a static IP....
this one http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm...
and I got to the last step, and when I got to the part where I had to change to a static DNS it wasn't working out because I don't have an alternate DNS.
I tried calling my ISP and they said that if I'm using a router, then I can't set up a static DNS, and thus I can't set a static IP either...Help?
███████████████████████████████████
give me a sec and I'll help you out.. stand by
Quote by boomboosh
What the f**k is you problems?
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
ok.. your ISP person is stupid.. lol ..

get into your router and look at what DNS server it is pointing to and use it as your primary dns server.. then just point to the router as your secondary.. (or you can use the secondary that the router is using as well )
Quote by boomboosh
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
Quote by tona_107
I was using a tutorial to set up a static IP....
this one http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm...
and I got to the last step, and when I got to the part where I had to change to a static DNS it wasn't working out because I don't have an alternate DNS.
I tried calling my ISP and they said that if I'm using a router, then I can't set up a static DNS, and thus I can't set a static IP either...Help?

Q1) What do you a static IP for? Your computer on your home network or the routers external IP address for the internet. If it's the latter only your ISP can provide you with this, as they set your IP address.
First things first, if your router isn't your modem, find your modem and use it without the router. Then in the command prompt for windows get your DNS addresses. You only need one.

Now when you're gonna set up the DNS servers for a static IP, you're preffered DNS server should be your router's IP address and your alternate one should be your ISP's DNS address
Quote by metaldud536
First things first, if your router isn't your modem, find your modem and use it without the router. Then in the command prompt for windows get your DNS addresses. You only need one.

Now when you're gonna set up the DNS servers for a static IP, you're preffered DNS server should be your router's IP address and your alternate one should be your ISP's DNS address

that will not work.. you cannot set a static IP w/out a router.. you need a router to provide NAT between your intranet and the isp's subnet.. the isp leases you a public ip address, that cannot be set statically.. the only static ip scheming you can do is within your private intranet behind a router..

______

never mind.. didn't see the rest of your post.. sorry

______

you can find the dns settings within the router though... the router is what is looking at dns.. the modem has nothing to do w/ dns.. but I see what your getting at..
Quote by boomboosh
Last edited by jshwak at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by jshwak

never mind.. didn't see the rest of your post.. sorry

______

you can find the dns settings within the router though... the router is what is looking at dns.. the modem has nothing to do w/ dns.. but I see what your getting at..

lolololllo
Did that help any TS ??
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by metaldud536

OK so right now, when i go to my router configuration page, that DNS it gives me is going to be primary, correct?
I have that.
Then I unplug my router and plug my computer straight in, check the DNS on there, and it will be different than the one I previously got, and that is the one I use as my alternate DNS?

So then, I can plug my router back in, and be happy with a static IP?

Quote by jshwak
Did that help any TS ??

I didn't understand what you were saying, is it the same as what metaldud said?
Last edited by tona_107 at Dec 19, 2008,
you should be able to get all the dns information you need from your router.. but metaldud536 had a good idea of getting it as well..

you can't really mess up.. as long as you have 1 other than your router.. then just use your router as the alternate if your still having trouble..

metaldud536 and I are getting you to the same spot.. just two different ways..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by tona_107
OK so right now, when i go to my router configuration page, that DNS it gives me is going to be primary, correct?
I have that.
Then I unplug my router and plug my computer straight in, check the DNS on there, and it will be different than the one I previously got, and that is the one I use as my alternate DNS?

So then, I can plug my router back in, and be happy with a static IP?

You could check without having to unplug the router liek jshhawk above me said. Or you could do it like I said. Doesn't hurt to make sure. Also make sure (if your router has it) to disable DHCP and when you give your pc's an IP address, the last 3 digits should be under 100.
For example 192.68.1.35 That way you can port forward in the future and all other stuff.
Quote by markodeano1
Q1) What do you a static IP for? Your computer on your home network or the routers external IP address for the internet. If it's the latter only your ISP can provide you with this, as they set your IP address.

I need it to plug into here...

And I want a static IP because my torrenting even though it goes about 100kb/s it says that my connection is messed up and I need to map a port, and it said I need to do this first...
Quote by metaldud536
You could check without having to unplug the router liek jshhawk above me said. Or you could do it like I said. Doesn't hurt to make sure. Also make sure (if your router has it) to disable DHCP and when you give your pc's an IP address, the last 3 digits should be under 100.
For example 192.68.1.35 That way you can port forward in the future and all other stuff.

yes .. good point.. make sure you disable dhcp.. or use a static that's outside of the address scope (don't go there )

you should be good go ..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by denizenz
I'm not going to read all of that garbage, but you've got to purchase a static IP or a block of them from your ISP...

If you haven't done that yet, don't bother with router settings.

That's not true. I didn't purchase anything from my ISP and I set up my network fine. I tihkn you're getting confused with an external static ip.
Quote by denizenz
I'm not going to read all of that garbage, but you've got to purchase a static IP or a block of them from your ISP...

If you haven't done that yet, don't bother with router settings.

ignore this person.. Ever heard of an intranet ??
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by metaldud536
That's not true. I didn't purchase anything from my ISP and I set up my network fine. I tihkn you're getting confused with an external static ip.

ahh.. beat me to it !!
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by metaldud536

Yeah I have DHCP enabled...I have to disable this?
The last two digits of my IP is .21 so I think I'm good...

jshhawk can you explain your way again? I didn't make sense to me the first time... sorry.
Quote by jshwak
ignore this person.. Ever heard of an intranet ??

I'm a network engineer ass.

If you're not talking about an external IP than wtf do you need help with? Your router will have a static internal IP. Rarely does customer equipment receive an IP from their ISP.
sure.. get into your routers config.. depending on what type it is.. it's different for each brand.. go to probably the "statistics page" and it will show you where your router is looking for DNS information.. you can either use those two as your primary and secondary.. or you can use the router primary as your primary, and the router itself as the secondary..

there should be a dhcp tab somewhere.. just disable it.. or.. use an ip address that is outside the dhcp scope.. which should also be available on the dhcp tab... hope that helps..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by denizenz

If you're not talking about an external IP than wtf do you need help with? Your router will have a static internal IP. Rarely does customer equipment receive an IP from their ISP.

I'm just talking about changing my dynamic IP to a static IP...Something to do with port forwarding/mapping somethingorother.
Quote by denizenz

Yea but he has to give his pc's static IPs and he obviously didn't know what he was doing. That port forward guide doesn't tell you certain things like what to use for DNS addresses and what dhcp does.
Quote by denizenz

yea.. so am I .. LOL ..

he wants to set static IP's on his computers in his house.. he knows the router has a static IP.. but he wants to set statics on his computers.. (I do this too.. because I'm doing custom port forwarding) .. all he needs to know is how to find out the DNS info for his comps..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by jshwak
yea.. so am I .. LOL ..

he wants to set static IP's on his computers in his house.. he knows the router has a static IP.. but he wants to set statics on his computers.. (I do this too.. because I'm doing custom port forwarding) .. all he needs to know is how to find out the DNS info for his comps..

Click start, run and type ipconfig /all

That'll give you every bit of DNS info on any Windows machine.
Quote by tona_107
Yeah I have DHCP enabled...I have to disable this?
The last two digits of my IP is .21 so I think I'm good...

jshhawk can you explain your way again? I didn't make sense to me the first time... sorry.

You could disable it if you're not gonna let people use your internet like say a frined comes over with his laptop, because then he would have to set up an IP for his laptop.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by denizenz
Click start, run and type ipconfig /all

That'll give you every bit of DNS info on any Windows machine.

OMG .. he doesn't need the dns info from the machine !!!! he wants to get secondary dns information for his static addressing .. typing in IPconfig isn't going to help .. even if he does an ipconfig /all .. it's only going to show his internal dns server.. ie his router..
usually home routers will not hand down any other dns addresses for a secondary dns server..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by jshwak
sure.. get into your routers config.. depending on what type it is.. it's different for each brand.. go to probably the "statistics page" and it will show you where your router is looking for DNS information.. you can either use those two as your primary and secondary.. or you can use the router primary as your primary, and the router itself as the secondary..

there should be a dhcp tab somewhere.. just disable it.. or.. use an ip address that is outside the dhcp scope.. which should also be available on the dhcp tab... hope that helps..

Yeah I find where to disable my DHCP, under it, it gave me an IP Pool Starting Address, and an Ending Address.

I have a section called connection type, and it's set as dynamic, should I have to change that to static too?
And the DNS page just has two blank boxes and a check beside "automatic from isp" on top of the two empty boxes. It says to put your primary and secondary DNS addresses in there which is what I'm looking for haha.
Quote by metaldud536
You could disable it if you're not gonna let people use your internet like say a frined comes over with his laptop, because DHCP hands out random IP's to whoever connects to the router and if it he gets handed the same IP as one of your pc's then he can't connect.

yea.. i would leave it enabled and then just set your static outside the scope..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by tona_107
Yeah I find where to disable my DHCP, under it, it gave me an IP Pool Starting Address, and an Ending Address.

I have a section called connection type, and it's set as dynamic, should I have to change that to static too?
And the DNS page just has two blank boxes and a check beside "automatic from isp" on top of the two empty boxes. It says to put your primary and secondary DNS addresses in there which is what I'm looking for haha.

well you definately want to get automatic from isp.. but you should be able to see what the isp is assigning them somewhere.. statistics most likely .. try metaldud suggestion,, you can get them that way as well.
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by jshwak
OMG .. he doesn't need the dns info from the machine !!!! he wants to get secondary dns information for his static addressing .. typing in IPconfig isn't going to help .. even if he does an ipconfig /all .. it's only going to show his internal dns server.. ie his router..
usually home routers will not hand down any other dns addresses for a secondary dns server..

heh. Maybe I should have read the thread instead of just jumping in with arbitrary advice.

You can use any internet DNS server to do your primary DNS...although that wouldn't be ideal. He just needs to call his provider and find out what the servers are or log into the router and look at what it's using for DNS.

He could also just run a tracert on any IP and the second or third hop will be his DNS server.
Quote by metaldud536
You could disable it if you're not gonna let people use your internet like say a frined comes over with his laptop, because then he would have to set up an IP for his laptop.

I'm sorry, but this confused me... am I supposed to enable or disable DHCP?
I have multiple machines that I need to use the internet at the same time, like my sister's laptop, or wifi phones, xbox 360's live, etc...
Thanks for the help so far guys... I am not all knowing about the interwebz
Quote by denizenz
heh. Maybe I should have read the thread instead of just jumping in with arbitrary advice.

You can use any internet DNS server to do your primary DNS...although that wouldn't be ideal. He just needs to call his provider and find out what the servers are or log into the router and look at what it's using for DNS.

He could also just run a tracert on any IP and the second or third hop will be his DNS server.

good call. that will work too.. if your still having trouble ts.. just call the isp and tell them you want to know what there primary and secondary name servers are .. they should tell you..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by denizenz

I called my ISP and they said I can't set up a static IP if I'm using a router...so clearly they are of no help to me.

Like, I said, I found my primary DNS, what is my secondar/alternate DNS, and they said I didn't have one...
Quote by tona_107
I'm sorry, but this confused me... am I supposed to enable or disable DHCP?
I have multiple machines that I need to use the internet at the same time, like my sister's laptop, or wifi phones, xbox 360's live, etc...
Thanks for the help so far guys... I am not all knowing about the interwebz

leave it enabled.. just set your static outside the scope..

just set your static above 200 or below 255 and you'll most likely be out of the scope..

____

lol .. yea your ISP .. really sucks..
Quote by boomboosh
Quote by tona_107
I called my ISP and they said I can't set up a static IP if I'm using a router...so clearly they are of no help to me.

Like, I said, I found my primary DNS, what is my secondar/alternate DNS, and they said I didn't have one...

Just use any public DNS server. Here's a whole list of them:
http://www.tech-faq.com/public-dns-servers.shtml

Just try to ping one to make sure it still exists.

Any public DNS server on the internet will take DNS requests from anyplace. At least you'll have a secondary in case your primary is unavailable.
Quote by tona_107

Your primary DNS to use will be your router's IP address. In the alternate one put in your ISP's primary DNS address.

I use Comcast and they didn't help me at all when I was setting up my router. They just don't want to help you.
Quote by jshwak
leave it enabled.. just set your static outside the scope..

just set your static above 200 or below 255 and you'll most likely be out of the scope..

____

lol .. yea your ISP .. really sucks..

Set my static what above 200 or below 255.. I've never worked with my router/internet like this it's pretty neat, really confusing.
Do you mean my static IP, like the box at the top? I can just change it?

Quote by metaldud536
Your primary DNS to use will be your router's IP address. In the alternate one put in your ISP's primary DNS address.

I use Comcast and they didn't help me at all when I was setting up my router. They just don't want to help you.

Would my router's IP = my "WAN" IP?
Page 1 of 2