As some of you know I have been building up a home studio lately and learning as I go. I'd like to have another mic to mic guitar cabs. So far I have two shure sm57's and some sort of Samson condenser mic that I got when I was younger.

I need another mic for dub's and to try to get another cabinet sound. It has to be something I'd probably find in a store like guitar center because I'm going to pick it up today.

I've thought about splurgging on a mixer with firewire or usb so I can run each drum in a different track on the computer.

Is this any good? And it will do what I want right? http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...xer?sku=630146 It says it comes with the driver and a usb cable along with sonar le. I have the real version of sonar home studio XL. So Im guessing it will work well with my program.
I highly suggest going with an audio interface (firewire) before going with a mixer/interface. The PreSonus FP10 can be had for $400 new and can be found on sale in stores for cheaper.

I'm sure the Edirol M-16DX is a nice unit and I trust that brand as its a sub company of Roland however if you are not planning on using the mixer in a live situation then the interface would be a much better choice.

FP10:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FP10-10x10-FireWire-Interface?sku=242036

I dont know what to suggest for a mic for cabs, maybe some type of condenser. Im sure someone will chime in with their thoughts sooner or later.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 19, 2008,
I have a recording interface. But I use an analog mixer for drum mics. Problem with this is I can't adjust the levels of each drum on the computer. I have to do it on the mixer it's self and on the computer I can only adjust the master volume of the drums. With these usb mixers I am supposed to be able to do each drum in it's on track on the program.
With a firewire interface, the sequencer is the mixer. Set the levels so they dont clip, record the drums, then mix the levels after the drums are tracked.

What program are you using to record?
if it's Audacity, you should look into something better. Reaper can be had for cheap and so can some of the lower end Sonars.

Most programs will let you mix and route each input of the interface to its own track, (assuming you are using a firewire interface).

USB mixers do what they are called...they mix down all inputs to a single stereo image which isn't really what you want while recording drums because you need to tweak each drum mic one by one with levels, compression, and EQ...
Quote by moody07747
With a firewire interface, the sequencer is the mixer. Set the levels so they dont clip, record the drums, then mix the levels after the drums are tracked.

What program are you using to record?
if it's Audacity, you should look into something better. Reaper can be had for cheap and so can some of the lower end Sonars.

Most programs will let you mix and route each input of the interface to its own track, (assuming you are using a firewire interface).

USB mixers do what they are called...they mix down all inputs to a single stereo image which isn't really what you want while recording drums because you need to tweak each drum mic one by one with levels, compression, and EQ...

yes I do all that... I use Cakewalk Sonar home studio XL using ASIO. What im saying is with my mixer going into my interface now... I have to mix the drums as a whole. Or adjust each drum with the mixer. But with a USB mixer I can put them all in their own track in my sonar program. See what Im saying? Instead of it being the entire kit and mixing them on the mixer.
ok so you have a small interface and you are currently mixing down just to record all the mics into one or two inputs of the small interface.

I see what you are saying, but a USB mixer will do the same exact thing, mixing down all the inputs limiting you in the tweaking stages...
If I am reading your post correctly, it seems you think the USB mixers will route each mic to their own track on the computer. Most of the time this isn't true at all. It depends on the hardware and drivers and 95% of the time you will have the tracks mixed down which isn't good for drums.

A firewire interface would be a much better solution for you. I personally would not get a USB mixer because it's going to do the same thing you are doing now with your interface and analog mixer...

If you were to sell the mixer and small interface, chances are you would be very close to being able to get the FP10.
All the interfaces I found that would hold all the drum mics were crazy expensive. I can do probably about 500 bucks but I can't go over that for an interace. The software with one of these usb mixers I found do infact put them in their own tracks on the computer. Although I'd rather just do it with the interface like you said.
I looked at the fp10.. I like that one and can afford it. But is that just 8 inputs? What about for 200 more dollars? Able to get atleast 12?
Reason I ask is to record some live stuff also with all the instruments... but with the fp10 where is the input to record guitar direct? Like with an instrument cable? I'm liking this man thanks for advice I believe I'm going to buy this. This will work with Sonar good? Also my sonar will automatically pickup that it records on seperate tracks? And it works with asio?
Sorry for another post but I just saw the picture of the back. Its very small so I can barely see it but I believe the direct for instrument cable would be on the back right? This thing will be able to do ASIO at a high rate I'm guessing. Right now with my interface I'm able to record at really high sampling rates. Even 64 with plug ins enabled. My main thing is I'm hoping sonar automatically works with this as far as knowing it's 8 seperate tracks at once. It's confusing (sorry im new to this) Like, if I armed 8 tracks to record on sonar how would it know which one is going where? Get what im saying? Or if I armed one track and hit record would it just put them all on one track? (which I don't want) Or do I have to go into each of the 8 tracks and put the recording source to a different input?
you know you can edit your posts instead of this ^
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Yea edit your posts instead of making a new one

You can buy up to 3 FP10s and daisy chain them with firewire cables. They are a great unit with 8 inputs at the front and great preamps.

On the back are your SPDIF, MIDI in/out, Cue mix line outs, master outs, 8 balanced TRS outs, 2 line inputs, and phones outputs.

zzounds has one on b=stock right now which will save you some money
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFP10

If you want to DI an instrument like a guitar or bass you run to the front inputs as those all have the preamps on them. The two line ins on the back don't have preamps.

When arming a track you need to set the input source in Sonar. If you don't, it will probably default to the first input on the FP10 front panel. With this interface, each input will go to its own track. To make setup quicker, make a custom track template setup so each track is set with an input for each of the 8 inputs on the interface.

The FP10 is one of the best interfaces out there for the price of $400 IMO. If you need more inputs, it's best to get another FP10 and chain it off the first with a firewire cable.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 20, 2008,