Hey,
I want to make my next project neckthrough, just to try it out. I've heard 1 piece necks aren't a good idea, and that a laminate will be much stronger.

My question is, will a table saw be able to cut the stripes precisely enough, or should i look into something else?

thanks for the help
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Provided that you don't have Parkinson's disease you should be able to get some straight strips of wood. Just make sure you set your saw up right.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
heh, alright, i figured it would be fine, just wanted to make sure before just in case
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
Heh, if you know how to use the fence, you'll be fine.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
i'm going to get a new blade before i get around to this, so i'll make sure to do some tests first to make sure it's not wobbling too much
Quote by Kensai

Standard woodworking practices typically entail running the laminates over your jointer after ripping to get rid of the tablesaw marks. However, there are a number of new blades on the market like the Freud Glue-line rip blade that claim that you can glue up w/o the jointer step.
alright, running them through a router afterwards shouldn't be a problem

thanks for all the help
Quote by Kensai

I'm thinking of making a jointer with an upside down electric planer...it could work you know

Set it in a long bit of inch MDF.
Yeah, tablesaw works fine, you can sand a little with a sanding block afterwards if it's a little rough.
i've always been told that you shouldn't sand a surface before gluing it. Sanding will clog the pores of the wood causing a glue bond that is not as strong. Best bet would be to run the pieces through a jointer before gluing
semi-correct preston, sanding it with 220 grit or so puts micro-trenches in the wood substantially inreasing the gluing space, however you must blast the wood with pressurized air before gluing ANYTHING, dust strongly effects the glue joint. i keep a small air compressor in my shop for that purpose.
Nah sanding is fine, as long as its low like 240 or w.e you can just spray the wood with compressed air to clean pores

*Edit, damn beaten lol*

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Dec 19, 2008,
okay maybe your right, i was just going by what my uncle (a woodworker), my college wood shop professor, and my woodworking textbook have told me, which is that the best surface to use is a freshly jointed edge. but of course not everyone has a jointer so sanding is a good option
Everyone has their way of doing it, some people plane/joint a fresh peice of wood flat and glue it up straight away, some people ruff the surface before gluing, theres millions of ways of doing things associated with building guitars, do what works for you.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man