Hi There

Basically, Today marks three years of me playing guitar, but i'm at a point in my life where, i can't be bothered to set up my gear and play, this year i left my band. due to health problems, which i wont go into, now I just can't seem to find the energy i had with other bands to get up and practice, because anytime i have done, i'm learning songs, then forgetting them the next day.

I've a hefty rig, which is easy to set up in my room IMO, but i just seem to be stuck, and i seem to playing alot more bass than guitar now, whenever i go to plug in i just think "why?" and go do something else, like eat or sleep

the obvious solution would be try and find a new band, but, i have been trying for the last few months, adverts in local papers, posters in rehearsal rooms & studios ( which has hit my bank balance noticeably) and the only responses I'm getting are from bands with minimal experience that play genres I detest with a passion!

I never thought i'd be in this kind of state, after i lost the ability to move my pinky fingers, and the drive a band gave me, I don't know what to do anymore

Help a guy out UG?

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by TheFly_1990 at Dec 19, 2008,
Try taking a break. Go do something else you like for a while. Find ways to inspire yourself too. Maybe, find a new genre of music that you really like and start to experiment with it. Possibly even try picking up a new instrument for a short while to further get yourself inspired.

As for a band, try changing locations. I know that's a big step but, the only way you're going to find new people is to be around... new people. Also, with a band, you can't rush it. It's got to be something that you build up over time and all get excited about.

Just give it time too man, you'll rebound. Maybe you should try teaching someone that's younger than you a little about how to play in order to build your confidence up. Just some ideas...

I've actually been playing guitar for almost 7 years now (and before that, piano for 6). Sure, there were times that I wouldn't play for a while and there were times that I didn't even want to look at the guitar but, over the years, I've always kept finding new things to get me excited and keep me going. You'll be okay bud. :]
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
Last edited by jasonmetal love at Dec 19, 2008,
Thanks Jason, thats some fine advice,

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Well dude, sorry to hear of your malady, is that one of the reasons you've entered this slump? I think every guitarist, indeed every musician has gone through a black out. I, myself, didn't touch a guitar for four months one time, but that old itchy fingertip came back. You can do one of three things; play through it, put it down for awhile, or continue in your 4 string pursuits. Who knows, that may be where your path lies...lays...lay... I get those confused. I would suggest the former. I'm in a band and we don't play much of what I would really like to play but it pays alright and keeps me on my toes, but if we split no biggy. Just play for the joy of playing, if there's no more joy in it for you....well that's just sad dude.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience