I'm trying to choose between these guitars,I like the 50s model look the best but the other guitar looks almost as good. besides the look they have a difference in the pickups. the 50s model has alnico 3 and the 60s model has alnico 5 pickups. I play rock blues and metal. which would be the best to get.
thanks

here's the 50s model
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Stratocaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519338

and here's the 60 model
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Stratocaster-60s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519339
Buy the '50s and drop new pups in.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
I could be wrong but I think Alnico 5 produces a more modern sound whereas Alnico 2/3's are more vintage. For example Slash uses pups with Alnico 2's and Satriani uses Alnico 5's. Obviously there's a lot more involved than just magnet type but it's one piece.
should I go for a epiphone g400 SG or one of these strats because it may be possible that i can get a epiphone g400 SG?
I say with the 50's and drop new pups :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by sxymnky777
eh it's pretty stupid do suggest a Les Paul when someone wants to buy a strat

eh it's pretty stupid to buy a strat for rock & metal,
espescially a strat thats that low quality

Edit: since TS mentioned a G-400
go SG G-400 all the way
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
ok thanks all for the advice I'm going to try and get the SG g400. I should be able to come up with enough cash.
It amazes me how many people in this thread are talking utter bollocks.

As far as those two strats go, the 50's got the better deal. Alnico V single coils tend to be very twangy and overly bright. Generally though Alnico III pickups tend to be regarded as a fantastic balance for Stratocasters.

Though from the sound of it you'll be best off with an HSS strat. Something like a Yamaha Pacifica is in the same price range and is of a similar spec, but the humbucker in the bridge will be much better suited for metal, which you mentioned.

Or yes, an Epi G-400 SG is a good guitar too, but be aware that it will be much less versatile, and Epiphone's quality control is a bit sketchy too so there's a good chance you'll end up with something sub-par.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, you could do that then buy a new trem block and a Duncan hot rails for the bridge position.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by willieturnip
G400's are genuinely good guitars.

Unlike any squier (except the old fuji-gen made ones..)

You sir, like most people in this thread are jumping on the squier bash wagon. The classic vibe series are absolutely top notch. They are easily as well and are of an equal or better quality than a MIM fender, if not better.

However for rock/metal i don't think a classic vibe strat would be the way to go and perhaps something like an sg or les paul would be more suited to you.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded overly harsh but soo many opinionated teenagers see the word squier and instanly think "crap" without any experience, other than that of first starting guitar which they tried to play metal on through a crappy SS amp. I'm not suggesting this is you, however the classic vibe series is really really nice and doesn't deserve the connotations that go with the brand Squier.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by ShredGod George
eh it's pretty stupid to buy a strat for rock & metal,
espescially a strat thats that low quality

Edit: since TS mentioned a G-400
go SG G-400 all the way

It's stupid to buy a single coil strat for metal, until you install a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge and put on some heavy strings. some people like shredding on strats - hey, malmsteen does it, but that doesn't mean you have to be fat to shred on a strat

the rest of your post is reasonable as an opinion but your "low quality" comment is absolute bollocks when we're talking about the classic vibe series: have you ever actually played a classic vibe model? I played a '50s strat in london, which was a lovely guitar, the quality seemed actually better than my '02 MIM fender strat. I also played a duo-sonic in birmingham and it was also very well built, it was almost like a japanese mustang. i rate the classic vibe series above the low end fenders in terms of build quality and playability - the one negative i have to say about them is that the electronic components are very compromised and feel very flimsy - i'd replace all switches and knobs before even considering using one for anything more than noodling around at home.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Madsalty
You sir, like most people in this thread are jumping on the squier bash wagon. The classic vibe series are absolutely top notch. They are easily as well and are of an equal or better quality than a MIM fender, if not better.

However for rock/metal i don't think a classic vibe strat would be the way to go and perhaps something like an sg or les paul would be more suited to you.

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded overly harsh but soo many opinionated teenagers see the word squier and instanly think "crap" without any experience, other than that of first starting guitar which they tried to play metal on through a crappy SS amp. I'm not suggesting this is you, however the classic vibe series is really really nice and doesn't deserve the connotations that go with the brand Squier.

I was generalizing and it's pretty justified. But yes I'm jumping on the wagon. I haven't played the classic vibe's, but have played tons of squier's and they have all sucked on my fat one!
yeah, this is getting real sickening. Some squires are not so good but neither are some of the new top notch gibsons. Squire is getting there act together and it is very clear in the classic vibe series. They have very unusually high quality workmanship from the nut on down and they definetly dont deserve to be bashed by the same old crowd.
fender classic 60's reissue telecaster
2008 MIJ paisley telecaster
fender superchamp xd
1978 fender super twin reverb
roland microcube
boss ce-2 chorus(MIJ)
Quote by gearjammer
yeah, this is getting real sickening. Some squires are not so good but neither are some of the new top notch gibsons. Squire is getting there act together and it is very clear in the classic vibe series. They have very unusually high quality workmanship from the nut on down and they definetly dont deserve to be bashed by the same old crowd.

Spot on, i was soo surprised. I've played a few now but i went to buy a MIM tele and didn't buy it because i played the squier and it really made me think because in all honesty the CV tele played and sounded better.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by X&Y
neither

whatchu talking 'bout foo'?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60