Alright all I got a pretty newbie question hear so dont rip me apart :P. I never payed attention to string gauge but it seems as though the stock strings on ibanezes around are very easy to play, have a nice twang to them, and seem like they get just the right distance away from the neck. Im buying an Epiphone Flying V (Korina 58) and im wondering if its the gauge of the strings, the brand of the strings, or something else that gets this great feeling of playability. Also now I do believe I have power slinkys on my B.C rich and I play alotta metal.
If the strings are lighter, it might be a little easier to play, and definitley easier to bend the strings, but if your playin metal and your playing in drop tunings then your gonna want to get thicker gauge strings, so they dont go all floppy when you tune down real low. The power slinkys are pretty good, theyre 11's. though i tried some 12's next time you buy strings.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I just want that twang to the strings where they feel tight in any tuning and seem really close to the neck but not enough to buzz.
Then i'd keep the power slinkys. its not the strings. its the action. Thats what makes the strings close to the neck. You can adjust that all you want to until it feels right...

Just out of curiosity how old are the strings.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Lighter gauges are easier to fret because they are thinner and wont hurt as much.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
I have a tune-o-matic, do i just tighten the screw a bit or will this seriously mess my guitar up?
Which screw?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Yeh those adjust the action. You can move those up and down all you want too. But i think your guitar has a tremolo, and if you put the action to low, and then pull up on the whammy bar then the strings will hit the frets, but if you dont plan on using the tremolo you can put them as low as you want.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦