So I was lookin around GC's website the other day at some Bass cabs and heads for future purchase and saw a Acoustic 200W head and a Acoustic 400W 4x12 cab and wondered if i could use the two and not have any problems?

And also it says on the website i get my choice of cabs when i buy the head.
Do i pay for the cab seperately or would it be jus the head i pay for and get the cab for free?
Last edited by AbTT at Dec 19, 2008,
your good. as long as the heads wattage doesnt go over the cabs, your in the ball park.
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ 57 classic plus & burstbucker pro
Gibson SG Limited Edition, Crescent Moon Inlays
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Egnater 4x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s
You're fine with a 400watt cab.
If it's a one speaker cab, the rating has to be equal or more to the amp wattage
2 speakers= minimum half the wattage
4 speakers, etc..

I think when it says choice of cabs, you're able to pick the configuration (2X12, 4X14, 2X15,..), I doubt they'd just give you a 412 if you buy a head.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

Alot of people over on tb seem to like oushes more watts through a cab then it can handle, aooarently it makes it work and soun d better. But your fine, thats quite a cabiet too lug around though. you would have too pay for them both seperatly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
why would you wanna overload the cab wouldnt it like blow up?
Im a preatty big guy i can move it around!
How would a Mesa Boogie Head Hiwatt cab combo work i was watchin somethin on Robert Trujillo on youtube and he said it gave him a preatty punchy tone along w/ a 5 string
Last edited by AbTT at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by fatgoogle
Alot of people over on tb seem to like oushes more watts through a cab then it can handle, aooarently it makes it work and soun d better. But your fine, thats quite a cabiet too lug around though. you would have too pay for them both seperatly.

What? That would just blow the speakers if you cranked the amp, they've overdrive way to soon, and fry.

Maybe you mean they use more watts in the cab than the head is rated.
That gives you less early breakup, and a bit more headroom, which is usually nice.

Quote by AbTT
why would you wanna overload the cab wouldnt it like blow up?
Im a preatty big guy i can move it around!
How would a Mesa Boogie Head Hiwatt cab combo work i was watchin somethin on Robert Trujillo on youtube and he said it gave him a preatty punchy tone along w/ a 5 string

It's more the head that gives you the tone, that is the amplifier.

A lot of cabs are rather similar, in terms of construction, especially ones made by high-end amp makers (Mesa, Orange, Marshall [case depending], etc..)

It's the speaker choice that really effects how a cab sounds, but I don't know for sure what speakers would be in the Hiwatt cab. Probably a celestion of sorts?
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

What? That would just blow the speakers if you cranked the amp, they've overdrive way to soon, and fry.

Maybe you mean they use more watts in the cab than the head is rated.
That gives you less early breakup, and a bit more headroom, which is usually nice.

No, lot's of people recommend sending about 125% of the power handling to the cab. As long as you don't push it it will work fine. I'm not sure of the exact reason though.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
No, lot's of people recommend sending about 125% of the power handling to the cab. As long as you don't push it it will work fine. I'm not sure of the exact reason though.

Yeah, I guess it's possible.
I just like to crank amps, so I'd always go with more wattage out of the cab
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

The reason people like to run their wattage a tad higher than the cabinet recommendation is to simply get abit more drive out of the speakers. You try running a low wattage head into a high wattage cabinet it just sounds mediocre, just like playing a huge stack at bedroom volumes. Driving speakers makes them sing, and when you just give them a little more drive than they take, they will soar.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
^
Yeah, that's true. But some people just end up going way over the top, and **** everything up.
better safe than sorry if people aren't sure, that's all.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

well then if you can ts try and get acab closer to 200 watts.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
so like would a 450 watt head into a 400w cab be 2 much or could i push it alittle?
N that should be fine. Is this an 8 or 4 ohm cab. Eitheir way it should be ok.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
This is actually my problem right now.

I have an Ampeg 8x10 cab, capable of handling 800 watts @ 4ohms.
and im running the SVT450H (450 watts @ 4ohms, basically a B2RE) into it, and with the head pretty cranked, the mids/highs sound amazing, but the lows, sound like crap.

I'm pretty sure this is because my head cant give the speakers enough juice to push the lows out good.
^
You're expecting to get bass response out of a sealed cab with 10'' speakers? lol.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
The reason that it is acceptable to sensibly run a higher wattage amp than the speaker rating is that the speakers work better and last longer when receiving a true/pure signal rather than a clipped signal.
A lower or same wattage amp will break up much sooner than a higher wattage amp will.
An overdriven pre-amp or overdrive pedal signal is not to be confused with output stage clipping.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
But what I don't understand with that, is why not just use a bigger cab? If you need a 700 watt amp to send a pure unclipped signal, then why not use a 750+ watt cab? Do speakers run better when they're pushed to the limit?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
But what I don't understand with that, is why not just use a bigger cab? If you need a 700 watt amp to send a pure unclipped signal, then why not use a 750+ watt cab? Do speakers run better when they're pushed to the limit?
Guitar speakers maybe but for bass applications it is pureness and clean quality from the output stage that counts.
What is being discussed is amps with a somewhat lower output than 700 watts more like 200/300 watts pushing power into high wattage handling cabs where there is a danger of them receiving clipped signals from the output stage due to being pushed too hard.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
^
You're expecting to get bass response out of a sealed cab with 10'' speakers? lol.
The guy has the classic Ampeg 8x10 cab...yea he's not gonna get bass response (sarcastic). The problem probably lies with now having a powerful enough head. I suggest trading in the SVT 450 head and upgrading to the SVT-CL
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
^

yea, the 8x10's low end, isnt the best, i know this. ok?

But, ive seen/heard bands that use them, that play in drop C, and get enough low end/growl, to hear in a medium sized venue.

so.... dont tell me about how the 8x10 cant get the job done.
while it might not be have the best low end response and what not.

and, Thank you FenderAmpeg93, for confirming my suspicions.

I think im gonna save up for a Genz Benz GBE 1200 though.

they just look sexyy.