I learned how to construct a major scale using the formula. I understand what intervals are but I haven't reviewed the actual names of the intervals (I took a look at the Crusade articles)

My question is : I want to be able to play blues, rock and metal music. Everything else I don't care much for. Do I have to learn every note that's in every key?

I mean I could just learn songs and forget theory but I actually want to understand what I'm doing. Oh yeah I also know the notes on the fretboard, which helps a TON.

Most of the time when I'm playing I just try and improvise in the minor pentatonic scale in a couple keys. This is basically everything I know aside from a few songs all the way through and riffs. (I play some VG songs too)

Am I going about things the wrong way here? I need some guidance please. It's hard for me because I don't have any people to play with and I have to learn everything on my own.

Last question : Where can I get jam tracks so I can play along too?

forgot to put I know the first position of the major scale so I can pick out roots and play that, but I don't know he other positions

Rave
Last edited by Rave765 at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by Rave765

My question is : I want to be able to play blues, rock and metal music. Everything else I don't care much for. Do I have to learn every note that's in every key?

No. Not at all. It can help, but it's not necessary. The guitar fretboard is organized
on parallel structures. Meaning if you have learned a pattern in 1 position, you can
move it up and down the neck to change keys. The same thing goes with a scale
played anywhere on the neck. So, as long as you can recognize patterns and
their relationship to a key, you can move those patterns anywhere to relate to other
keys.
If you learn intervals, which teaches you the formula for each scale, then as others have stated, no, you don't have to learn each note for each scale. If you know that in the scale you want to learn, you always go up 2 frets from the root note, you can apply it universally to any key.
So when playing a certain position of scale if I just change the root to a different note then I could simply change keys that way?
Quote by Rave765
So when playing a certain position of scale if I just change the root to a different note then I could simply change keys that way?

yea, if you learn the formula for say the Minor pentatonic scale, you can play it in A, or just move down one fret, then you have Ab.
The minor pentatonic scale is the only scale I know in all positions on the fretboard. What's the formula for it? I'd assume its a minor scale with 2 less notes?

Thanks for the help everybody
pentatonic minor is: m3,W,W,m3,W

A minor pentatonic is: A,C,E,D,G

natural minor is(aeolian): WHWWHWW

A natural minor is: A,B,C,D,E,F,G