I just recently recieved a Marcus Miller J-bass, and as some of you might know it comes with a active/passive switch built in. Since it has a active pre-amp, is the passive mode as good as a passive j-bass? And the same thing with active mode? Or is it kinda just a "jack of all trades", with with some but not all of the attributes of both?

Thanks!
Active mode is fully an active bass. And if it has a passive tone control when in Passive mode it's a fully passive bass when you put it into passive. If it doesn't have a passive tone then it's completely passive except it doesn't have a passive tone.
^ this. But remember, it doesn't completely bypass the battery. Leaving it plugged in in passive mode will still drain power (only saying that because I learned it the hard way)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
+1 @ the battery dealio

my jazz 24 also has a passive/active switch, and if the miller's works the same way, its mostly a "just in case the batteries go in the middle of a set/song" dealy. the pickups on most active/passive basses aren't wound as much as a regular passive bass would to compensate for the extra gain with the active pre-amp and therefore lack a bit of umph when in passive. my bass in particular drops in volume just a tad but has a bit more vintage-y sound

i'd say the sound in passive isn't a pure passive sound but has to compromise to accommodate the activeness
Quote by kugelspot
^ this. But remember, it doesn't completely bypass the battery. Leaving it plugged in in passive mode will still drain power (only saying that because I learned it the hard way)

Mine bypasses my preamp entirely. I can play without a battery in fine. I suppose it would drain a battery still though.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I suppose it would drain a battery still though.

That's what I meant
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.