i walk into my local music store and ask the guy why do i get feedback with all my pedals but distortion? he said on mexican strats the "Frequency"(i forgot what he said well pretend its frequency)pumps out around 125. add distortion and it raises your frequency to 300 creating no feedback. he then told me this is caused by cheap low output pickups(like my stock ones) he said if i installed a hotter set it will fix the feedback and sound much better.

So is he just trying to make money off me or is this true?

If so what are some good s/s/s pickups that are reasonably priced.

or any suggestions at all.

thanks-joe cerillo
Quote by joecerillo
i walk into my local music store and ask the guy why do i get feedback with all my pedals but distortion? he said on mexican strats the "Frequency"(i forgot what he said well pretend its frequency)pumps out around 125. add distortion and it raises your frequency to 300 creating no feedback. he then told me this is caused by cheap low output pickups(like my stock ones) he said if i installed a hotter set it will fix the feedback and sound much better.

So is he just trying to make money off me or is this true?

If so what are some good s/s/s pickups that are reasonably priced.

or any suggestions at all.

thanks-joe cerillo

No, it's because the single coils aren't really meant for heavy distortion.

Get some single sized humbuckers (you might want to look at Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
what amp are you playing it thru?

how high you got the gain turned up?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
through a fender 25Amp- AMP
gain on 3, volume 3. so its not even cranked up.
it works fine w/ distortion. when the wah and delay and everything else come in, then theres bad feedback.

all cables are brand new connecting everything.
Wrong, because frequency=pitch.

Although, better pickups/some kind of noise pedal WILL help this get better.

EDIT: Try changing the order of your pedals.
There are lots of reasons why you may get feedback, especially with single coil pickups.

However, the stuff the guy in the store told you is utter rubbish, plain and simple.

EDIT: and in fact installing hotter pickups could only make it worse, so you know.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Please tell us the pedals youre using and the order you have the setup in plz.

If you had some common sense, you'd test each pedal on its own to check its not just a single faulty pedal. You'd also swap round orders and try them with minimal settings on each pedal.

So many obvious things you could check to narrow down what it is. I hate how vauge people are here.

I highly doubt its the guitar, I have a mex and I ran it with a fair pedal setup and had no problems with the stock pups. But you've tried the guitar direct into the amp, havent you?
Quote by kckyle
you best resolution= ISP decimator g string noise reduction pedal

Why?

Quote by joecerillo
through a fender 25Amp- AMP
gain on 3, volume 3. so its not even cranked up.
it works fine w/ distortion. when the wah and delay and everything else come in, then theres bad feedback.

all cables are brand new connecting everything.

it's the amp.

i have that amp. it's not a "high gain" amp.

it's a good clean amp tho. sounds good with an acoustic electric.

anyway, dont waste your time on pup ungrades or pedals until you upgrade your amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

its the wah

mine does the same except not nearly as bad because i have humbuckers, and i have the gain on 11
Excuse my double post but im going to fire up my thoughts then ditch this thread.

Run the guitar straight into the amp, test out both channels and see if this feedback appears. I highly doubt it will until you reach the loud high gain area where this is normal. It'll sound pretty good though.

My guess is that its your wha pedal when its in the high area, as in when it cuts the bass and its very trebly. This combined with certain types of delay will cause a horrible digital feedback which will hurt the ears.

Try turning the delay pedal's feedback down low so it only echo's 2-3 times and set the timing to far apart.

Hopefully this cures your delay feedback issue and you'll spawn some IQ points.

/thread
sorry i tried to edit to ad this but my computer froze...

a single coil isnt going to sound as full as a humbucker. and isnt as ideal when playing metal, but, to prove to yourself that it's not the single coils, plug your guitar into amps voived for higher gain, at your guitar store.

and see for yourself.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^it's probably going to freeze again but ill try to add this for you because you're getting so upset.

i guess it could also be a broken wah, i thought he tried them one at a time thru his amp already. :/

anyway,
his question was, is the guy right that his single coils are causing his feedback.
the answer is no.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
sorry i tried to edit to ad this but my computer froze...

a single coil isnt going to sound as full as a humbucker.

Quote by jj1565
and isnt as ideal when playing metal, but, to prove to yourself that it's not the single coils, plug your guitar into amps voived for higher gain, at your guitar store.

and see for yourself.

Cans u speil proa or dose u nut belife n edukateon?

What are you on about? It makes no sense. He doesnt need to take his guitar anywhere. He firstly needs to reply to update us. Second, he needs to ignore your stupid nub advice.

Quote by jj1565
^it's probably going to freeze again but ill try to add this for you because you're getting so upset.

i guess it could also be a broken wah, i thought he tried them one at a time thru his amp already. :/

anyway,
his question was, is the guy right that his single coils are causing his feedback.
the answer is no.

Upset, you clearly dont know who I am.

You'll be guessing its pokemon in his amp next. He doesnt state anywhere he tried them 1 by 1.

We're way ahead of the single coils you foo'.
Last edited by Preid at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by Preid

Cans u speil proa or dose u nut belife n edukateon?

What are you on about? It makes no sense. He doesnt need to take his guitar anywhere. He firstly needs to reply to update us. Second, he needs to ignore your stupid nub advice.

Upset, you clearly dont know who I am.

You'll be guessing its pokemon in his amp next. He doesnt state anywhere he tried them 1 by 1.

We're way ahead of the single coils you foo'.

Dude, you dissed Jenny...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Dude, you dissed Jenny...

Is that actual kudo's or have I slagged off a retard and should be ashamed?
Quote by Preid
Is that actual kudo's or have I slagged off a retard and should be ashamed?

Actual. She's damned respected around here.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
yeah ok, i could care less really.

if you took what i was saying as some sort of insult, well then i guess that's fine with me.
but i didnt mean it like that.

i did get a kick how you separated that one bit and put it alone, like that's all i said.
*yawn.

if he wants to be pissy, i'll just go play pokeman, and stuff.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah ok, i could care less really.

if you took what i was saying as some sort of insult, well then i guess that's fine with me.
but i didnt mean it like that.

i did get a kick how you separated that one bit and put it alone, like that's all i said.
*yawn.

if he wants to be pissy, i'll just go play pokeman, and stuff.

Eh, I'm the middle man. I honestly don't care.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
^oh yeah sorry, i meant preid. I wasn't ignoring you or anything. i just couldnt be assed telling him why he's wrong,
and i certainly wasn't adding you on his pms rant.

i suppose if he wants to get into it more he can pm me, but i know he's already visited my page, so i'm guessing, he's already got a better understanding of why he's so out in left field here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you like high gain, get some high output Dimarzio humbuckers. Only problem is, if you make mistakes, it's much more obvious. Like an evo is really noticeable, but a Mo Joe not so much. Just get new pick ups and it'll sound better.
^only ibanez; let me ask you a question.

if you wanted high gain, would you spend $200 on new pickups, or would you rather upgrade your fender 25 to a cube or similar?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Preid
Excuse my double post but im going to fire up my thoughts then ditch this thread.

Run the guitar straight into the amp, test out both channels and see if this feedback appears. I highly doubt it will until you reach the loud high gain area where this is normal. It'll sound pretty good though.

My guess is that its your wha pedal when its in the high area, as in when it cuts the bass and its very trebly. This combined with certain types of delay will cause a horrible digital feedback which will hurt the ears.

Try turning the delay pedal's feedback down low so it only echo's 2-3 times and set the timing to far apart.

Hopefully this cures your delay feedback issue and you'll spawn some IQ points.

/thread

your guesses are full of wrong with your low iq score judging by the way you speak/type. you sir are a total failure/ prick. go back to your mother or guardian and learn some respect. so far you did nothing but disrespecting other members.
Last edited by kckyle at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by kckyle
your guesses are full of wrong with your low iq score judging by the way you speak/type. you sir are a total failure/ prick. go back to your mother or guardian and learn some respect. so far you did nothing but disrespecting other members.

That's coming from someone with terrible grammar and barely any punctuation. Anyway, T.S., you should follow Preid's posts from the start, do what he said, and update us so we can help you.
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."