Page 1 of 2
I know a guy who is willing to trade me his Fender Highway One Jazz Bass for around 250 dollars cash and the trade of my Epiphone Thunderbird. Sounds good, right? Well, the one catch is in a moment of excitement he lit the back of it on fire, so there's this "half inch, inch wide maybe 4 inch long section that is kinda melted/burnt looking" as he puts it. Good deal? Would it last me a long time? Good for modifying? any suggestions?
Ask him for a picture of the melted section, and post it up here. While that seems like a relatively small area of the bass, it could be critical.

And yeah, Highway 1's are great bass's, i know theres at least one regular forum go'er here who has one (i think). Either way, if this guy didnt trash it to hell, its a upgrade on an Epi T-Bird =)
i have the highway 1 P and i've played the J, definitely an amazing bass...however this burn sounds quite questionable. make sure you get to see it in person before anything is exchanged.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by Sly Taco
ummmmmmmmmmm..................do it?

I think he should really see the burned section first, this kinda sounds like foul play. I cant really imagine someone would trade a Highway jazz for a epic t-bird that easily
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
I think he should really see the burned section first, this kinda sounds like foul play. I cant really imagine someone would trade a Highway jazz for a epic t-bird that easily

thats what i was thinking it sounds to good to be true
Quote by CBurtonIsKing

Perhaps the most misleading typo ever

BeastEdit: To TS, you should definitely check out the damage to the bass before finalizing anything, but even so, it sounds like a good deal and would definitely be an an upgrade from the T-Bird.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Last edited by Beast_Within at Dec 19, 2008,
If it's the new HWY1 go for it immediately, if it's the old series see if you can knock between 50-100 bucks off the cash portion of the trade. Screw the burnt section, instruments don't burn too well, so whatever. You can always just sand it down later and make it look like buckle rash.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by CBurtonIsKing

Depends on how epic.

But seriously, get pics, show us, make sure it works fine.

EDIT: Just reread OP, if it's on the back there shouldn't be any problems as long as he didn't burn through it. Still, get pics.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Last edited by P-Bass Pirate at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i've been really happy with my HW1 Jazz.

Me too

Check it out, if it doesn't effect the sound, go for it.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
There should be no reason why not to make the trade, but I would really check out the HWY 1. If someone was careless enough to torch their bass, I'd wonder what other abuse the poor thing had gone through.

But you would be getting rid of a Tbird, which would be a plus....
Quote by Beast_Within
Perhaps the most misleading typo ever

Check out the bass in person, see whether the melty spot is anywhere important, then ask if you can plug it in to your amp to play around with for a while. If all goes good, youve got yourself a fine instrument, with character to boot
Last edited by CBurtonIsKing at Dec 19, 2008,
Also, I didn't know wood could melt

I demand pictures.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by CBurtonIsKing

You really did that on purpose? Why would you do such a thing?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
MELTY BURNY? pics please.

I love shredded instruments.

it sounds just cosmetic, and man, that sounds like some beautiful damage.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Beast_Within
You really did that on purpose? Why would you do such a thing?

Good lord no, id put my hand in the microwave before i used it to type such blasphemy purposely the hand slap emote was supposed to mean i made a mistake

Quote by TooFast

I demand pictures.

This man has a point. We may have spotted the problem - the bass is clearly MINK (Made in North Korea), hence why the "wood" is able to melt.
Polyurethane. unlike wood does melt though under heat....

If you get this bass, we do demand pictures. Or this is all a fantasy and a lie.
Quote by anarkee
Polyurethane. unlike wood does melt though under heat....

If you get this bass, we do demand pictures. Or this is all a fantasy and a lie.

Could said Highway 1 really be made out of polyurathane? I dont claim any kind of knowledge on these kind of things, but i havent heard of any bodies made of anything really meltable. And the highway 1's ive played are alder.
No but the finish on the wood is or some sort of coating. I suspect the finish has melted and not the wood.
EDIT: blast you, I am foiled yet again by Tam the Avenger!!!
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Could said Highway 1 really be made out of polyurathane? I dont claim any kind of knowledge on these kind of things, but i havent heard of any bodies made of anything really meltable. And the highway 1's ive played are alder.

no the finish melts, then once that dripped off, the wood burned somewhat.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Isn't the finish on highway 1's nitrocellulose? (sp) From my understanding I thought this stuff was highly flammable and thin, surely it shouldn't have melted?
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by anarkee
No but the finish on the wood is or some sort of coating. I suspect the finish has melted and not the wood.

ah, duh, should have caught that well in that case, maybe he did melt it, but he would have had to have accidently tossed the bass into a firepit or used it to prop up his Hot Rod car's engine to melt it not really, but note to TS, just post a picture of it and we can determine whether its a problem. If not, get rid of your "Epic" T-Bird before he comes to his senses
Quote by TagRingo
you mean burn right? because wood doesn't exactly melt..

Thats what were discussing, and she meant the finish. The finish, technically, is capable of melting. When we were talking about the wood melting, it was kind of just supposed to be humorous
Quote by TagRingo
you mean burn right? because wood doesn't exactly melt..

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

depends if its the new revised or the older highway 1's.

about 2006 highway 1's were revised with nitrocellulose lacquer and a bad ass 2 with some other neat things like custom pickups and stuff.

i'd say if its the new one thats great. but try to bargain it down since the nitro finish might have left the wood a little more vulnerable to the fire. if its the old highway 1's i'm not too sure, they weren't magnificent things by any stretch of the imagination but were good quality. the epi t-bird has never been my favourite bass so it might be in your best interest to go through with the trade regardless. don't push your luck though, especially if its a newer model highway1

ps. best way to know if its a new highway1 is if it has a bad ass 2 bridge (it'll say "bad ass II" in big honkin letters)
thanks to everyone for the advice. ill try to take picture on monday, when i intend to go to his house to look at it. oh, two more problems i forgot to mention (but are easily solved, i guess). It has no strap buttons and no pickguard. and the screw holes for the strap buttons are messed up so they have to be refilled and redrilled (something he says he can do himself, and i have no reason to doubt him). The lack of pickguard/strap buttons is kinda annoying but i can always get that stuff online for not too much, i suppose
For the record--strap buttons are very easy to sort out. There are several ways to fix that. But damn it sounds like he's really banged up that bass in several ways. I'd be dead sure to check it over with a fine tooth comb.
yeah, it sorta does. the deal with the pickguard is he took it off for god knows what reason and lost it. the strap buttons, who knows.
Quote by Ippon
Don't forget to post pics!

I have a Black, Nitrocellulose HW1 Jazz Bass body with the BadAss II bridge ... it's being mated to a '62 RI PBass neck.

Putting a Precision bass neck on a jazz body... Well I guess there's always the oddball who prefers P necks
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
All Highway One's have a satin Nitro finish. That's one of the things, if not the main thing, that makes them a Highway One.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Putting a Precision bass neck on a jazz body... Well I guess there 's always the oddball are others who prefers the P necks
*fixed*

Correct! It's all preference ... the '62 RI PBass neck is more comfortable for me and probably a huge population of bassists.

Quote by thefitz
All Highway One's have a satin Nitro finish. That's one of the things, if not the main thing, that makes them a Highway One.

And the Badass II.
Quote by Ez0ph
I remember that

Quote by Firenze

Quote by TooFast

I demand pictures.

I assume he meant that the paint had Bubbled? make sure you play it first though!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
honestly, i have no idea what he meant. I'll try to go tomorrow and see what's what.
Quote by TooFast
And the Badass II.

Those are only on newer models.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Ippon

Correct! It's all preference ... the '62 RI PBass neck is more comfortable for me and probably a huge population of bassists.

+1

Jazz necks have always felt somewhat insubstantial and uncomfortable to me.
Quote by Caustic
Page 1 of 2