I have an 92' Ibanez USA CUSTOM w/Tension free neck. I have been getting some bad buzz at some places on the neck. I noticed that the neck has a back bow starting around the 4-5th fret . It also dips after the 5th -12th...

I have completely removed the tension bar from the neck and inspected it.. put everything back together, but still has a dip and back bow... or in other terms an S-neck shape to it...

Any suggestions on how to get this neck straightened out? maybe needs new frets? any help would be appreciated. I dont want to get another neck as it say Ibanez USA CUSTOM on the headstock.. finding another one would be impossible.

thanks in advance
Quote by _Kramer_

I have completely removed the tension bar from the neck and inspected it.. put everything back together, but still has a dip and back bow... or in other terms an S-neck shape to it...

The truss rod?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
No Truss rod on Ibanez USA Custom's. Tension Free neck... basically a Bar about 1/4 " x 1/4 " that runs the length of the neck. The Bow/relief is adjusted at the base opposed to a Truss at the head.
Ah, sorry, have no idea on those models then.

Alot of truss' can be adjusted at the end of a neck rather than the headstock though.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
well the frets wouldnt have anything to do with warping the neck. have you adjusted the tension bar? that might fix it a little bit, but than again i have no idea, since i have never heard of a tension bar. hope you figure it out because thats one sexy guitar.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
+1 the frets arent going to be the problem.

can you adjust that neck at all? because it sounds like changing string gauge isnt going to help get rid of that bow if it's "S" shaped.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
woot. Jenny gave me a plus one...lol

looked around a little bit, and found this: http://www.bunker-guitars.com/tf_neck.html
seems they invented it maybe? may want to shoot them an email.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
HAHA pretty funny.

but yeah that site might hold the answer.
pretty interesting guitar you've got there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Odd looking bar really, I'd expected it to be wider for the width of a neck.
Quote by demoniacfashion

Quote by Oasis-fanatic

Quote by human panda
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Odd looking bar really, I'd expected it to be wider for the width of a neck.

These put the stress of the strings on the bar and not the wood. It is supposed to produce a better resonation.

Most if not all USA Ibanez's of the past had these including many higher end instruments.

In my case, i bought this used, i believe there was a bit of abuse with it. I talked to Ed Roman's in Vegas and i think i am going to get a custom shop neck built for it, if they don't have it in stock. Once i get this done, i will produce a howto on how to adjust these types of necks with pics.

might help someone in the future.
Quote by _Kramer_
I talked to Ed Roman's in Vegas and i think i am going to get a custom shop neck built for it, if they don't have it in stock. Once i get this done, i will produce a howto on how to adjust these types of necks with pics.

might help someone in the future.

Out of the many, many guitar builders out there, Ed would be right at the bottom of my list.

After reading a lot of stuff about him it seems the general opinion about Ed is that he's an absolute and utter bastard.

His prices on some instruments are unjustifiably high, he badmouths other brands to push his own stuff, he's been sued by Ernie Ball, he lost his PRS dealership, etc.

If you want to do business with him, by all means go for it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it...
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
shipped the guitar to Ed Romans in Vegas after talking to him. He apparently is working with Dave Bunker who invented the tension free neck back in the 50's.

I will updated once i get it back.
Fail.

Besides wasnt Ed Roman saying how Ibanez makes such crappy guitars.
Quote by _Kramer_
shipped the guitar to Ed Romans in Vegas after talking to him. He apparently is working with Dave Bunker who invented the tension free neck back in the 50's.

I will updated once i get it back.

Sorry to hear that. I've met and talked to Ed. I know some of his staff. I have been bent over by his company a few times. I bought a USA Jackson form him and he gave me the run around and lied about the neck problem with it for over two years. After contacting the head honcho from Jackson I learn that they never received the guitar for repair. That rat bastard and his staff kept my guitar for almost a year and a half. then handed it back to me worse then it was when I bought it.

It took me 3 years to have a s curved neck issue resolved.
Well, i hope that your both wrong, cuz he has my guitar now. I will report back once i do get it back... with pics
- Kramer Stagemaster
- Kramer Pacer Custom 1
- Ibanez USA Custom EW
- Jackson SlatQH Soloist
- Martin D-41
- Breedlove artist
- Marshal JVM410 w/1960a 4x12
- PodXT live