I was playing my Ibanez GRX-20 just now. I had it for about one year and never changed the strings since the factory ones were so amazing. But I was playing some Trivium and the A string just exploded. (No joke)

So what would be the best bet for an Ibanez guitar? I play on 10's by the way.
try out as many as possible until you find a set you like

consider something heavier than 10 if you downtune a lot
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Drop D is my calling. Anything heavier takes away from the melody sometimes.

Can you guys suggest some good brand names?
i play ernie ball beefys and kerry king dunlops sound good play good
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
ah, 10s will be fine

ernie ball are good, they do hybrid sets, thick low strings for chords, lighter high strings for soloing

elixir last forever but are pricey

D'addario are average, i've had a few breakages. i like rotosounds, free high e, the ones on my strat have lasted ages
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Rotosound pinks FTW

If you have a trem, thats what I'd go for

In my experience, EBs go out too easily with trems, when your retuning, not when ure whammying
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You are a bad man...I like you

Quote by gillehy
you sir should be knighted

Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's so true.

I

MUSIC!!!
Try different stuff. Thats what I did, until I found Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky. I don't play anything else now, I love them.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I love Elixirs and Earnie Ball. Jesus, a whole year on a set of strings...
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
You are going to have to try a bunch of different strings to find what you like. I prefer DR strings but I have a pack of D'Addario Chrome Flatwound I am going to try next just to see if I like them.
Agile AL-3100 CSB, Schecter C1-Plus with SD 59s, Crate V33 Head (modded), Crate 2x12 Cabinet w/ Green Berets, EQD Hoof

Good Traders: jdr94 7PlaGues xXMetal-HeadXx applecakes1207
Ibanez ship with Elixirs. They're the best strings in my opinion.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
DR pure blues.

Pure nickel strings ftmfw.
Rotosound fo'sho.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
A year on a set of strings? Wow.

Try some Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies, imo.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Use whatever strings you like, but more importantly start changing your strings more often. Once a month a is pretty common.
You really have to test out strings to find the ones for you.

I personally love Ernie Ball STHB's.
Quote by Superperfex
Thanks everyone.

What are the best strings for playing metal?

No such thing. I would suggest that you try many different brands of strings to find the one that you like most.
Quote by Superperfex
Thanks everyone.

What are the best strings for playing metal?

Metal is a tricky subject.

Death Metal, where you want a thicker tone, needs thicker strings.

Trash Metal, like Metallica and Judas Priest, you'll want 9s.

You also have to dictate what kind of strings you want based off of what you're doing. 9/10 times, people think size will be the decisive factor. Not necessarily.

Lighter strings makes it easier to bend with out a higher risk of popping a string because you put an extra pound or two of tension on it.

Heavier strings will give you a chunkier sound but at the risk of using bends, will pop them a hell of a lot easier, but make a better sound when downtuning.

And if your guitar is setup to support 9s, if you have any love for your guitar, you'd get it setup to support the increase of gauge. By doing this, it'll make sure that your guitar can handle the strings, that the strings won't go out of tune, and that everything will work properly with out any damage to the guitar (yes this all factors in)
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
What strings have great action though?

I also want to avoid replacing the strings, and then when I play without an amp, to hear a metallic noise. Like my fender, It sounds really metallic when I play.
i played ernie ball 10's until i started doing lead and then the E's snapped on a bend every time. and it couldnt handle my drop tuning

my parents just bought me two sets of DR Tite-fit 10-52 and I'm never going back.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Quote by Superperfex
I was playing my Ibanez GRX-20 just now. I had it for about one year and never changed the strings since the factory ones were so amazing. But I was playing some Trivium and the A string just exploded. (No joke)

So what would be the best bet for an Ibanez guitar? I play on 10's by the way.

No set of year-old strings will ever be "amazing", they won't even be "good".

Action is not an inherent property of strings - it's hope you set your guitar up, and new strings will always sound metallic, that's what new strings sound like. The initial zinginess dies down quite quickly, but after a few months they're pretty much completely shagged. You can still play on them but they don't sound great...if you look after them by washing your hands before you play and wiping the strings down after playing then you'll get the most life out of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 21, 2008,
If your playing Trivium, it probably is Ascendancy stuff right? Ernie Ball and DR strings are the best for me. I use Ernie Balls Not Even Slinky's and DR Tite Fit 10's Big-n-Heavy, but I would recommend Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom or Hybrid Slinky's. Especially if you play in Drop-D alot, but for DR's the Dimebag Hi-Voltage Medium's, Tite Fit 10's Big-n-Heavy's, and Tite Fit Medium-Heavy. Personally I think that the DR's are more versatile, but the Ernie Balls are more rock/metal.