I've almost been playing for 2 years now but I feel like I havent made as much progress as i should have been. I don't know ANY songs, i mean i know parts of songs but I dont even know any whole songs.

I don't know, I just find it boring memorizing to play some one elses work but I dunno. I've spent maybe too much time on scales because that's what I mostly work on, what do you guys think?
You can never spend too much time on scales.
You will become a much more accomplished guitarist by working on technique than by learning peoples songs.
You should form a band and write your own stuff, much more fun.
Ibanez S7320
Marshall Valvestate 100v Model 8100 Head
Marshall 1936 Lead Cab
\m/ Latria \m/
I prefer to just play and jam improv than learn someone elses songs, unless you are in a cover band. Otherwise you can jam to them but improvise and don't just learn thier leads (unless its so cool you need to ) It will make you much more original.
Learn megadeth music. It'll get your hands working fast really quick.

METAL UP YOUR ASS.
KILLING IS MY BUSINESS... AND BUSINESS IS Good
Quote by new_age_reject

I disagree, scales only work in certain situations. If all you do is practice them your lead playing will end up sounding stale.

I dedicate about 20 percent of my practice time to scales, not agonizing about learning them over the whole neck but playing over some rhythm tracks and using the different sounds of the different modes as a general motif.

Learning songs can definately improve your playing. I always try to learn songs that I feel to be slightly above my playing ability at the time. Theres no much point in trying to learn symphony x songs if you cant play metallica ones, thats just an example

Composing is definetly one of the most important aspects of growing as a player and finding your own unique style in my opinion.
here's my two cents for what its worth, and im ina very similar spot

playing 3years, but to hear me play would sound very different, because while i move in and out of scales, i dont put very many dashing licks together

I have started refocusing my time on songs, and specifically trying to learn the solo's - what im finding is its helping me put together licks. Like ah, i see what they did here

so learning songs isnt just gonna make you play someone else music, its gonna help you appreciate and put together your scales/patterns/licks better

who do you want your influences to be? what bands do you love?

Just my thoughts and self discovery....but im with you on the amount of time i have spent and how it doesnt look that impressive on the surface

anyone else agree
I think that you have to have something to base your music on. You'll only be able to write parts of songs if you only learn parts, you'll need the entire thing to understand better how to make it all fit together. Scales can only take you so far, ultimately they are simply combinations of notes that sound good, that can help you get a certain sound. But scales are not music, or good music.
Van Halen revolutionized guitar, he invented heavy metal and influenced a whole new generation of guitarists. But, before he developed his revolutionary style, he knew every note clapton played, he has said. Simply, its much harder to do something without anything at all to base it on.
Quote by SaulnierE
1)Scales can only take you so far, ultimately they are simply combinations of notes that sound good, that can help you get a certain sound. But scales are not music, or good music.
Van Halen revolutionized guitar, 2) he invented heavy metal and influenced a whole new generation of guitarists.

1) True.
2) False.
ಠ_ಠ
It's important to know songs and make you're own. And it's okay to steal riffs and licks from other people. I steal tons of Paul Gilberts stuff. He isn't going to come to my house and beat me with his guitar for it. If anything, he would like it, but I don't think Joe Satriani would.
I've been playing two years now and i've learned probably 25 complete songs... I'm going to be in the process of learning several more over the next month.
My opinion: Don't bother learning a song if you dont want to. Learn keys and scales so you can jam. Once you start playing covers its easy to get stuck in that loop of only playing them. And anything you play will sound ripped off to you.
What I do is i listen to a song I like, take ten seconds to fiure out which key its in via hit0and-miss on the neck, then just play improv over it to train my ear.
all i know is songs... i barely know theory or scales, its pathetic. im going back to lessons soon

learn theory and scales etc and then learn songs as u feel u need to.

btw, ive also been playing for 2 years
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
In my opinion, you would progress with composing more then learning songs.
But learning a song is good every now and then, it can be inspiring
Playing songs, whether your own or someone else's, is the whole point of learning to play a musical instrument. Of course you're not progressing if you don't play songs, because you're not actually PLAYING the damn thing.

If you're just playing scales and exercises then you're completely missing the point - you practice to help you play the guitar better, you don't practice for the sake of practice itself.

Is that honestly what made you want to pick up the guitar in the first place?

Quote by new_age_reject
You will become a much more accomplished guitarist by working on technique than by learning peoples songs.
You should form a band and write your own stuff, much more fun.

complete poppycock. You become an accomplished guitarist by exposing yourself to and learning to play as wide a varietly of music as possible. If you just play scales then you just get good at playing scales which is next to useless.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 21, 2008,
I Don't play covers at all...

I play my own stuff, and write my own stuff.

And I'm really happy with it!
I've been playing for a year and I also find it boring playing and memorizing other people's stuff.
I think being able to improv. your own solo or join in playing in key with other instruments is more useful.
Whatever you think will bring you closer to your goal, is what you should do - if that means writing your own music, and you've already got plenty of awesome licks which you're ready to apply to it, than you don't need to learn any more of anyone else's music. But if all that you can do is scale up and down the fretboard, than you need inspiration of great guitarists who have been your way already. There must have been some great music you heard which led to you picking up a guitar in the first place, so what was it? Most guitarists seem to develop their own style by improvising on the work of others, and with your knowledge of scales, this shouldn't be a problem.
Do whatever you enjoy most and keeps you interested.

Playing guitar IMO is all about personal enjoyment.
Learning songs makes you a hit at parties.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
I get bored playing songs by myself. without accompaniment, it always sounds empty and I get bored with it unless I'm on acoustic because I can usually make it sound a little more full than I can with my electric. I've been playing 2 years and I only know a few songs all the way through, but I know my way around the guitar pretty well and if I'm jamming with a few people, I can usually come up with some good licks and definitely hold my own.
Just building basic skills n' working on improvisation helped me learn quickly. Pinchies are really fun and can be integrated in lots of places. Learning songs can be good for inspiration, making songs is good too. Challenge yourself. Blues Scales are great for improv (B is the best!). But I warn you you may be taking advice from a 7 month old guitarist.
you need motivation to improve after a certain point.

If youre just playing in your room to yourself, then youre gonna get stuck. If you go out and have a band and must entertain then you will find your sound
I know only a few songs. I have been playing for 20 years. what i like to do is listen to different kinds of music and get ideas from that. I may hear a riff and think well if I add this and this and this add or minus xxxBPM it might sound great. If I cant get the right feel I may learn the riff so I can change it. Open your mind to all types of music it will help inspire greatly.
Learn How to structure songs!
Learn Lots of chords.
Once you do that I guarantee You'll figure your playing
like someone else without trying.
No need to actually look up tabs or sheet music and such, learn by ear much more exhilarating, fulfilling, and impressive!
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
(Scenic Painted) American Project Strat
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
It's important to practice your scales and general knowledge, but I personally also find it extremely important to learn existing songs from various musicians. Fact is, you'll learn alot of stuff that you can decide to use yourself later on.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by bluezombie
Fact is, you'll learn alot of stuff that you can decide to use yourself later on.

Fact is, Thats also a law suit for stealing someone elses music ask Vanilla Ice.
XD.
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo
Quote by Hardcore101
Fact is, Thats also a law suit for stealing someone elses music ask Vanilla Ice.
XD.

Fact it, you don't steal the songs, you get ideas from them and make your own songs.

Every musician does this.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I reccommend playing whatever you want, and if you dont have fun playing something then dont play it. Personally I find playing other peoples music a good way to learn, but you may think otherwise so bottom line is if you dont want to then dont. If you try everything and still arent enjoying playing guitar then stop playing.

For me it doesnt matter if I get good at playing or not its the fact that I like playing guitar that keeps me going.
Quote by bluezombie
Fact it, you don't steal the songs, you get ideas from them and make your own songs.

Every musician does this.

I was just playing buddy!
My Guitars:
Epiphone Prophecy LP GX
LTD M-10

My Amps:
Peavey XXL
Peavey 5150
Marshall 1960a 410

SELLING 360 $200USD obo