so im wanting to either get the B-52 AT 1x12 or the Bugera 333XL 2x12. Now the only turn off for the Bugera is that its 120 watts which is way overkill, and I heard that there is a way that you can take out half of a certain kind of tube and lower the wattage by half. So im wondering if all you do is take em' out and be done w/ it or is there some special thing you have to do. Also if you could please fill me in on which tube.
thanks
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Attenuator?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Attenuator?

well i know that way but i heard you could just take out some tubes

anybody know?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
You can take out the tubes, but it won't make it much quieter really.

You'll break up faster though.

Take out either the 2 X or the 2 Y's, 'cause power tubes are paired like this: XYYX
Quote by Mitchell?
You can take out the tubes, but it won't make it much quieter really.

You'll break up faster though.

Take out either the 2 X or the 2 Y's, 'cause power tubes are paired like this: XYYX

so it woln't be quieter but it will overdrive (for lack of a better word) at lower volumes?
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by chuckflan333
Attenuator?

beat me too it
TS, get an attenuator, then you can turn your amp up to 11 and you could turn it down to bedroom volumes.
Go here
http://www.londonpower.com/index.html
Look around the site, have a good read, perhaps check out forum links etc as well. Then contact a competent technician , spend the extra hundy and power scale your amp. It will also add considerable value to your amp. [edit: well if not monetary value, it will certainly add considerable versitility, which to many users is valuable as a feature worth paying for.]
Last edited by R.Christie at Dec 20, 2008,
remember though, doing anything to your amp will void its warranty. Thats why the attenuator is good
Quote by guitarcam123
remember though, doing anything to your amp will void its warranty. Thats why the attenuator is good

True - yet sometimes somethings in this world are just not sensible. An attenuator will be much, much, much harder on your amp than power scaling will ever be, specifically attenuators will be harder on the amplifier's power and output transformers and on output tubes (i.e. all the really expensive parts of your amp). The result will not be any better, IMO inferior. If the warranty were sensible it would discourage power soaks (attentautors) more than powerscaling technology, but the warranty probably isn't up with recent trends. Go the way of the future, your amp will love you for it.
Last edited by R.Christie at Dec 20, 2008,
R.Christie: have you had the powerscale mod done to any of your amps? i remember reading about the technology a while back but seemed to come to the conclusion that it is a great idea to be designed into new amps but can be a real pain in the ass trying to add it to an existing amp.

120W is not neccessarily overkill. it wont really be all that much louder than a 100W or even 50W. the extra power is there for headroom. if your using it for metal or the like then you'll want the power to keep the sound big and open so taking tubes out will change the character more than the volume and probably wont be what your looking for.

what kind of volume level are you wanting to be playing at? when i lived in a detached house i had a 5150 (120W) half stack in a spare room and although volume wasn't an issue, i could play at similar volumes to my current 15W amp while still sounding good, if not so earth shaking.

the main difference comes down to your speakers. play at the same volume through a sensitive 4x12 cab and a combo's 10" speaker and you'll definitely feel the 4x12 is louder if only for the amount of air it shifts.