Go with agile, better quality for the same amount of money
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
The Gibson LP will have a more throaty LP sound because of the semi hollow body. The G will just sound thick because of the all Mahagany body and neck.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio EMG 81/85

Amp:
Roland Cube 30

Pedals:
Boss DD-7
Boss ML-2
Boss OS-2
Boss NS-2
Ibanez TS-9
at that level, its mostly if you like LP's shape more than SG, i've got the SG and i like it a lot. but as far as i can tell, the only difference that can't be overcame by a couple numbers on an EQ knob is the body shape.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
the sg is great, i hear some people complain about the epi les pauls but they seem to be of similar quality. i havent played one for more than 10 minutes though
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Both are great guitars it's a personal preference you need to play both. Aside from the shape the weight is a big difference but sound wise they are pretty close.

John
Quote by The Mailman 666
The Gibson LP will have a more throaty LP sound because of the semi hollow body. The G will just sound thick because of the all Mahagany body and neck.

Wha?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
that sg is basically like the standard of epiphone, that les paul is not standard...so I would suggest the g-400.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by stratdud39
what are you talking about

The Les Paul Studio has a hollow spot cut out under the Maple top. In the part of the body across from the volumes and tones. So it has a hole in the body where the volumes and tones are and another one you can't see on the other side of the Pick Ups.

SG's do not have the cavity.
Guitars:

Amp:
Roland Cube 30

Pedals:
Boss DD-7
Boss ML-2
Boss OS-2
Boss NS-2
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by The Mailman 666 at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by johnro6659
I think he means it's either weight relieved or chambered.

John

It's chambered!
Guitars:

Amp:
Roland Cube 30

Pedals:
Boss DD-7
Boss ML-2
Boss OS-2
Boss NS-2
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by stratdud39
the g-400 is a better guitar, i hate the epi les paul studios.

I don't believe he ever said it was an Epiphone LP.
Guitars:

Amp:
Roland Cube 30

Pedals:
Boss DD-7
Boss ML-2
Boss OS-2
Boss NS-2
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by The Mailman 666
I don't believe he ever said it was an Epiphone LP.

Sorry my mistake. He did.
Guitars:

Amp:
Roland Cube 30

Pedals:
Boss DD-7
Boss ML-2
Boss OS-2
Boss NS-2
Ibanez TS-9
haha, i have the g400 and my friend just got the studio yester day ( wich i did play obviously) umm.. honestly id take the g 400 over the lp just for the what i think is a thicker sound, but the lp can scream just as well as the g 400, really the g400 is probaly just a tad bit better quality but its barely noticable in anything, and really from there you just gotta play it and its personal preference
Quote by JELIFISH19
Epi SGs nosedive which is really annoying if you play standing up

From what I have read that can be partially corrected by changing the location of the strap button like the Tony Iommi SG.
Yes, changing the position of the strap button to the upper horn does work, but only if you've got a heavy duty strap too. Leather straps with an uncoated bottom work best since they cause a lot of friction betwen themselves and your clothes, so they don't slip much. EVen then though, Epi SGs are evn more neck-heavy than Gibson SGs, so it might still neck dive anyway.

For me personally, I had to ditch my G-400 because the neck dive was so bad (even after changing the strap button and using a thick leather strap) that it was unplayable.

On the other hand, LP Studios are awful. So...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
So are the bodies of the Epi SGs just lighter than the Gibsons, or are the necks heavier?
An SG body weighs a little under half what an LP body does. SGs don't have the maple top that LPs have, and the main body is roughly 3/4 the thickness of an LP (minus the top) too. So the LP body has 133% of the mahogany that and SG has, plus it has a maple top too (and maple is one of the heaviest woods around in guitar making).

This makes SGs a right pain in the arse to handle.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.