I recently decided that I wanted killswitch installed in my guitar, yeah baby!
My guitar is a Blade Stratocaster, so I was then wondering: Do I want a toggle switch or a button switch? And what electronics should I buy? And where should I buy it?
With this thread, I just want to share what I've learned so far

- Toggle switch or button switch?
Button switch! Toggle switch is what Tom Morello uses, button is what guitarists like Buckethead use. And who play fastest of those two: Buckethead
No seriously, a button switch is definitely the best and simplest solution for guitar. It allows you to play faster than a toggle switch does and it's definitely easiest to install.

- What electronics should I buy and where?
I suggest you buy this momentary button switch, which is perfect for guitar:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062545

I found a video on youtube with this guy explaining how he has installed this very button on his guitar. This is a great video, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3VDri4W-I

Hope you can use this

Sincerely,
Maitinin
I have installed many button style (same exact one buckethead use's actually) on people guitars and they are like a tank. Issue with the toggle is they have a tendency to break constantly. Also you can get a ton more effects out of a button with alot faster tap attacks. Hit up the ampeg clip in my profile it has some button killswitch work in it if you want to check it out as well.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
so does the sound come out when you release the button? i'm on my blackberry so i didn't check the links.

Yes. Sound off when pressed, then sound on when released...
hey thanks, there's an "ultimate killswtich thread" in custom section. just letting you know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
so does the sound come out when you release the button?

Yep, that's basically the point in killswitch. It's very simple: the outgoing signal of the guitar is simply cut off the moment you push down the button, and when you release the button, it jumps back up and the signal is reestablished.
What if I want to use my killswitch for um...killing the volume...like...in between songs?=/

In the context of not having a volume knob that is.;] Don't wanna hafta be constantly holding down a button.=p

btw, yeah yeah I know this is a month old.>.>
Weavel, you'd want to look into the toggle version - or use a cable with one. My Planet Waves cable has a button to cut the signal coming from the guitar, but you don't have to hold it down to keep the signal cut.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Weavel33
Where might I find a two way switch as apposed to a 3/5 way found on LPs and Strats?

I'm looking for the same thing and so far no luck. Maybe just a three way but only one way is on?
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
I'm looking for the same thing and so far no luck. Maybe just a three way but only one way is on?

Just go to a hardware store or auto parts store.
I stay up all night practicing.

'http://grou ps.ultimate-guita r.com/latenightpr actice/'
What exactly should I ask for? I'm thinking they won't be too familiar with the term "killswitch".>_>
really, not joking a whole entire thread dedicated to this one question.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528529&highlight=ultimate+killswitch
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

the custom section has a whole list of web sites, where to buy parts and many, many guys there that love helping other guys mod guitars.

so, yes.

*by the way, if you had taken the time to click the link you would have seen that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Weavel33
What exactly should I ask for? I'm thinking they won't be too familiar with the term "killswitch".>_>

A 2 way toggle switch, or an on-off mini toggle switch
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 21, 2009,
Quote by Weavel33

spdt mini toggle.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Could you point that out for me, sir? I'd rather not read fifty-some pages...and it wasn't on the first page.>_>...so yes, I did read that one.=p
it was in the First POST of the FIRST PAGE.

there's a link to the shop and it mentions radio shack and the type of switch, and gives a diagram, and practically delivers the part to your house!

well, not that last part.

but yeah, it's pretty clear.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ma'am

it's all good
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

My apologies...again.=_=

You must understand that by default I understand everyone on UG to be of the male species until clarified otherwise.>.>
happens all the time.

i do have some subtle clues hidden in my sig.

but yeah, dont worry about it.

just have fun modding.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
it was in the First POST of the FIRST PAGE.

there's a link to the shop and it mentions radio shack and the type of switch, and gives a diagram, and practically delivers the part to your house!

well, not that last part.

but yeah, it's pretty clear.

Well, then you should just turn your volume knob down to zero, simple as that is
Killswitch is more designed for killing the signal rhythmically.
What if I want it for both of those things...it seems silly to me to even have a volume knob if you have a toggle kill switch.;]

btw, this won't be for modding a guitar so much as for putting it on a build of mine.
is it safe to do this mod on a guitar which isn't properly grounded?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by Maitinin
I recently decided that I wanted killswitch installed in my guitar, yeah baby!
My guitar is a Blade Stratocaster, so I was then wondering....

High five on the Blade, I thought I was hte only one.