they sound like pussy hammer ons right now. and its really wierd, because my left hand hammer on/ pull of technique is superb, i can keep a really long trill going for a while at normal volumes. when i tap though, it sounds about 1/2 as strong as it should. is it just a matter of practice until I get my tapping finger (s) as strong as my left hand technique? any excerises to help, if thats the case, or just continue tapping away?

EDIT: it's not just my taps. my left hand technique is really good when i start doing hammer ons/pull offs AFTER i've picked a note, but if I just try to hammer on to an open string without picking it first it sounds as strong as my taps do (not that strong at all)
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Dec 19, 2008,
no. I'm playing completely clean, no gain dialed in at all. I usally practice legato taht way. is that a problem?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
It shouldn't be a problem but they will pop out more when you have gain.
Also, just practice a lot and same with left hand it will get stronger and the skin on your tapping fingers will get harder also.
Ibanez S7320
Marshall Valvestate 100v Model 8100 Head
Marshall 1936 Lead Cab
\m/ Latria \m/
make sure when your tapping with your right hand that your not just lifting your finger straight off the string, you have to kindof flick the string away as you lift your finger which will act as if youve just plucked the string, and make the tapping louder
Quote by Boybandssuck
make sure when your tapping with your right hand that your not just lifting your finger straight off the string, you have to kindof flick the string away as you lift your finger which will act as if youve just plucked the string, and make the tapping louder

wasnt doing that. let me see if it works. by the way, great name, boy bands DO suck
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Boybandssuck

This. With your tapping hand you actually want to bend the string a very tiny bit, so when you pull off it's like you plucked the string
Quote by Boybandssuck

this with the addition of excessive force
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I normally hold my pick between thumb and index finger and tap with my middle one also.
Ibanez S7320
Marshall 1936 Lead Cab
\m/ Latria \m/
ive tried this, and I keep accidently pulling off the strings next to the tapped string as well. will this go away with practice aiming and pulling off the string?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Will go away with practice also, try and mute the other strings with both your hands.
Ibanez S7320
Marshall 1936 Lead Cab
\m/ Latria \m/
thanks guys. I get the concept now. Just needs some practice.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
using the edge of your nail and the flat meaty part of your finger together as opposed to just the meaty part really helps too.

too bad i bite my nails on my left hand. I wonder how hard I could hammer on and pull off then.

EDIT:

so say you have a tapping lick like this:

T
|-5-h-8-12--|

will I get a stronger sound out of the 5th to 8th fret hammer ons by hammering on with a finger pointing perpendicular to the fretboard or slightly slanted. I usually play slightly slanted because its better for string muting, etc... but i'm thinkign there could be volume benefits if I hit it straight.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
EDIT: it's not just my taps. my left hand technique is really good when i start doing hammer ons/pull offs AFTER i've picked a note, but if I just try to hammer on to an open string without picking it first it sounds as strong as my taps do (not that strong at all)

^ Re: your last post:
In both cases, make sure you're tapping/hammering from nowhere with the tip (harder part) of your finger, not the underside (fleshy, soft).

The guy who mentioned flicking is right on the money. It's really a very subtle thing, but as you let go off the tapped note, you want to flick towards the floor just a little bit to get a pull-off.

Regarding gain. I think the best for legato and tapping in particular is split your time about 50-50 playin with and without. Distortion hides a lot of problems, but totally clean also hides a lot of muting problems. So, both.
Last edited by se012101 at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
wasnt doing that. let me see if it works. by the way, great name, boy bands DO suck

it seems strange to me that you didnt know that, cause you say that your legato technique is "superb", its the same thing you have to do when you pull-off, so, maybe revise your legato technique aswell? :S
i already do that with my left hand. i just have not a clue in hell how to do **** with a tapping hand. piano and violin really did help with building a lot of finger strength in my hands, and my teacher gave me all of these excersises that I deemed pointless but actually helped a lot. but then, you might have a point, pull offs are a little weaker than my hammer ons, but not very noticeably so.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by se012101
It's really a very subtle thing, but as you let go off the tapped note, you want to flick towards the floor just a little bit to get a pull-off.
You could also try flicking the other way by sort of curling your finger in (towards you, towards the low E). Some people prefer this method, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

And for working on pure VOLUME of your taps, playing on clean is a good idea. It'll give you a more accurate picture of your dynamic control with your tapping hand.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Boybandssuck

listen to this man
Quote by Clownocaster#1
this, i can't believe only this guy has suggested it.
Yeah, but if he's trying to work on his technique, a compressor is just going to mask the problem and make it impossible for him to actually learn anything.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
compressor pedals are those things that make everything sound at one volume or something right?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by ramm_ty
Yeah, but if he's trying to work on his technique, a compressor is just going to mask the problem and make it impossible for him to actually learn anything.

Does a compressor do anything but mask problems?

It was more of a suggestion for performing

compressor pedals are those things that make everything sound at one volume or something right?

They compress all the sound you make into a narrower volume band (amplifying quiet sounds, softening louder sounds {like a really huge over strum })

And yes, they do mask your problems and make it impossible to learn anything. :P
Use sparingly
but you can choose what volume it amplifies/softens to? i should invest in one of those for playing live then lol.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
but you can choose what volume it amplifies/softens to? i should invest in one of those for playing live then lol.

sure thing buddy