I've searched this before but i couldn't get a straight answer. My peavey milestone II that I've had for about 3 weeks now that i bought used has this fuzzy noise it makes when i'm not touching the strings. The only time i can hear the buzzing is when the tone is turned up. From what i've seen I don't think it's the amp, but either a pickup or a grounding problem. It doesn't bother me that much and i'm most likely going to get a new 5 string traben array in the summer considering this is my first bass but would it harm the bass to continue playing with this fuzz? Is there any way to fix it without taking it apart?
My guitar has the same problem. The tone is important, so don't turn it off. My quick fix is, well, touching the strings the majority of the time.

For a permanent fix, I recommend checking your pickups, or getting a noise gate. Some suck out your tone, others work pretty good. You gotta find a good mix with them.

I hope I helped. I probably didn't though.
It might also be a solder that has come loose.
Quote by max355
Hating the 49rs is like hating the retarded kid in class.

The Cowboys, weed, and bass. My three loves
For whatever reason my bass does something similiar, usually what i do is fiddle around with the volume knobs for my bass and treble pick ups. It seems whenever i put too much volume into one or too little into the other, i get that fuzzy feedback noise. Try fiddling around with the volume knobs, but just a little so you dont throw off whatever tone youve got set up
the grounding's wrong.

google grounding, I'm too tired to be asked myself.

but that sounds like your problem.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
That's a passive bass right? Humanity is probably right--its the grounding. The good news is that passive basses have very easy electronics to sort out and if you go to Stewart MacDonald's site, they probably have a good diagram for the wiring.

Do you always play near a computer, T.V. or fluorescent lights? This can also cause a hum as well that is really pronounced with passive basses.
its either amp hum or a ground loop, most basses do that (especially with high gain) and there isnt anything you can do to stop it
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Good point about the shielding Raul. The best thing I have found for shielding is snail tape. You can get it at most gardening stores, (which was recommended on this forum by someone a while back.)
My brother's bass player had a Peavey same as yours, and he had a badly grounded input jack. For a quick fix on a home recording I attached a wire to his bridge, which he then taped the other end of to his ass cheek. Classic rock&roll moment.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
My brother's bass player had a Peavey same as yours, and he had a badly grounded input jack. For a quick fix on a home recording I attached a wire to his bridge, which he then taped the other end of to his ass cheek. Classic rock&roll moment.

lol you just made my day
It's just feedback, happens to me too.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk