My PSAT results said I should learn a couple foreign languages to help with my career.

I already speak English fluently and I understand French although I'm not great with it yet.

So, what do you guys think are the most applicable languages?

EDIT: I live in the U.S. and am planning on going into Aeronautical Engineering.
Signature temporarily empty
Last edited by Lord Of Donkeys at Dec 19, 2008,
Are you allowed to do French?

Edit: If you aren't then go for something fairly easy like German or Italian.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
english chinese spanish
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Depends where you live and what you want a career in.

If you're in the US, Spanish is helpful for talking to immigrants. If you're in the UK, Welsh is good for shitty holidays (although is it technically a language if there's no vowels? I think not). If you're in Germany, French is good so you know when they've surrendered. If you live in Italy, Italian is probably a good choice.

And say you want to be a stock trader (and let's face it, who wouldn't in the current economic climate?), you need to know Chinese so you know who's getting all your fucking money.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
French, German, Chinese, Japanese.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Spanish or Chinese. Although I plan on studying Japanese, Chinese would be more practical in a business sense due to the wide usage and current strength of their economy. Japanese politics are too nationalistic at the moment for Japanese to become more widely used.

Also, Spanish would work well in a few Hispanic countries and quite a lot of America. The grammar rules are quite similar to French too, I believe.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Spanish since the US will soon be overwhelmed by all the spanish speaking immigrants.
SOAS
In North America, Spanish. If you know Arabic, any government agency here will hire you.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Arabic. To pal around with terrorists and whatnot.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
German isn't "fairly easy." There's a lot of rules to remember.

Easier than say, Russian or Chinese though. I can't speak German myself so I don't know too much about it.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Actually, Arabic is a pretty good point. If you work in the Middle-East (read: Dubai) I believe there's no income tax.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Yeah French is almost useless nowadays, IMHO.

Chinese/Japanese would be the best option, except they are really hard to learn.
Spanish is great, not too difficult. It's also a great up-and-coming language.
What I just said is a lie.
Quote by roythereaper
Actually, Arabic is a pretty good point. If you work in the Middle-East (read: Dubai) I believe there's no income tax.

That palling around with terrorists comment was, of course, a reference to McCain/Palin, but Arabic seriously would be a helpful language to learn. Not enough westerners are learning it so if you do, it'll look good on your resume.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Spanish: South-America (except Brazil) and Spain
French: France, Belgium, Switzerland and some African countries
Russian: Russian,Ukraine, Bielorussia and Lithunia, Kazahstan etc...

maybe Chinese and Japanese, but I doubt it's possible to learn it, it's gonna take years and years, it's not even a language it's a bunch of codes (hieroglyphs).
Quote by Karvid
That palling around with terrorists comment was, of course, a reference to McCain/Palin...

Oh, sorry, I missed that reference. Something with the words "My friends" would have been much clearer, but a tad irrelevant

Quote by brian_donkey000
maybe Chinese and Japanese, but I doubt it's possible to learn it, it's gonna take years and years, it's not even a language it's a bunch of codes (hieroglyphs).

Call me Callum

I am planning on a career in linguistics or foreign language translation so maybe I can help you.

If you live in America, first and foremost, SPANISH, French is utterly useless, so forget it about it. No matter what field you are planning on going into, Spanish can help loads, I have read of people getting 25% increased incomes in non language based careers just because they can speak Spanish.

Now, if you are considering a career involving foreign languages, I would say this is a decent list of most applicable.

1. English
2. Spanish
3. Mandarin Chinese
4. Arabic
5. Japanese

And then after that, it can be anything. German is useless because 50% of Germans have a good grasp on English, so any professional German is probably going to be able to speak English. Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, etc, forget those, they can all speak English. Focus on languages that have an overwhelming amount of native speakers, but very few second-language speakers. For example I think there are 145 million or so Japanese speakers in the world, 143 million of them are native.

EDIT: What was your PSAT score? I got 64 on Critical Reading, 50 on Math, 62 on Writing Skills. 176 total. So if it was the SAT, a 1760.
Last edited by EnemyWolf at Dec 19, 2008,