I'm not much of a theory buff, but i'm having a hard time finding a suitable key to solo in.

it's Eyes Of The World by the Grateful Dead. Most of the song revolves around only a Emaj7 and Dmaj9 (with no 3rd) chords. There is a part though that is Emaj7 Gmaj7 and than back to the Dmaj9.

Any help? soloing in Emaj sounds wrong and i really cant figure out what key i should be in.

thanks.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Have you tried a Dminor or D, like a mixolydian in D would sound nice.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender G-Dec Junior Amp
ZOOM G1x Pedal
If you play an E7 chord and a Dmaj9 you to solo over, you could play in E Mixolydian
I like the dead, but I can't remember the song....

The key would be E major. With the Dmaj7 it obviously won't fit into any key. I'm
guessing that's a simple vamp. Probably what you're looking to do there is something
like E Mixolydian and add the major 7th to that. Mixoldydian is pretty much a Garcia
staple scale.

Quote by Glavinage
If you play an E7 chord and a Dmaj9 you to solo over, you could play in E Mixolydian

Yeah, but that WOULD change the song. It's just a slight alteration to the key structure.
And it makes some sense theory-wise since it adds a leading tone to the tonic chord.
With the Gmaj7 in there it's still strongly suggesting E Mixo.
Last edited by edg at Dec 19, 2008,