Basically what are the chords that sound good in high distortion for metal? Doesn't matter how weird or technical they are. I just wanna know so I can get new ideas..
power.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

most full chords dont sound too nice with heavy distortion.... and the ones that do can't be that dissonant in the first place. So you have to avoid b3's (that means all minor chords are out the windo) and b5's.

so you can TRY any major, major 7, or dominant 7 chord you want, but I'm still guessing they won't sound too good with heavy distortion.

power chords were made for this reason.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Octave chords sound nice

e|-------------------
B|-----------------
G|-77777777-
D|-xxxxxxxx-
A|-55555555
D|-----------------
Oh and if your playing in drop tuning play power chords like this

E
B
G
D-5555555----
A-5555555----
E-5555555-----
All chords can be used in metal. Get inventive.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Like TDWP RULEZ D00D said, octaves are cool. Study your favorite metal bands sonds and find out with they play. I personally stick with 4ths 5ths(power chords) and 8ths(octaves)
Any chord can be used in metal, but chords in general sound terrible at high gain.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Guitar doesn't have the main function of extensive harmony in metal. It's just the signature sound.

They invented keyboards for that as such in black metal and melodic metal.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
OK, It's really just a power chord, but It'll give you a slightly fuller sound - I read it in a Trivium lesson in Total guitar... though I'm not a trivium fan:

e----------------
b----------------
g--7------------
d--7------------
a--5------------
e--5------------

other than that, the Richie Blackmore doublestop? although it's really just a powerchord-in-disguise also

e-------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------------------
g-----------------3---------------------------------5-----3-
d-----5--3--5---3---3-----------5----3---5-----5-----3
a-----5--3--5--------3----------5----3---5---------------
e-3-------------------------3---------------------------
i'm the Man on the silver mountain!
Last edited by jimRH7 at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
Any chord can be used in metal, but chords in general sound terrible at high gain.
This, learn to imply chords.

I'm sure you could imply an altered chord in a metal song and it will sound fine. You might not be able to play an altered chord on one distorted guitar though.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I can find plenty of examples of major and minor chords in metal songs and most intervals including b5s which can sound pretty good if used right. I wouldn't argue that they sound bad with high gain, although if they have added 7ths ect they might sound odd. Sometimes full chords will sound bad on one distorted guitar though, so learn to create the notes of the chord using more than one guitar.

Oh and imo sticking exclusively to powerchords in metal is the easiest way to create uninspired, bland music, so go with what you like. Try and use other intervals where you would use powerchords, 3rds 4ths and b5s can all sound amazing, although that depends on your personal taste.
Quote by all hail the d
I can find plenty of examples of major and minor chords in metal songs and most intervals including b5s which can sound pretty good if used right. I wouldn't argue that they sound bad with high gain, although if they have added 7ths ect they might sound odd. Sometimes full chords will sound bad on one distorted guitar though, so learn to create the notes of the chord using more than one guitar.

Oh and imo sticking exclusively to powerchords in metal is the easiest way to create uninspired, bland music, so go with what you like. Try and use other intervals where you would use powerchords, 3rds 4ths and b5s can all sound amazing, although that depends on your personal taste.

not True.

You can have 1 guitar play D5 power chord, and you can pitch axis on that, by playing Dmin7 sweeps or DMaj7 sweeps over it still implying a chord without all that **** gain you get with full chords.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Major chords sound considerably better on an overdriven guitar when the third is flattened by about 14 cents. There's the old EVH trick of flattening the B-string by about that amount to make make the major third between the G and B strings purer. Major chords using that make the guitar purrrrr beautifully, but then ya have to bend over notes sharp on that string.
Use any chords you want. Just be warned that in general, you're going to want anything that isn't a power chord or octave down to sparing use.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
i enjoy the sound of all chords with distortion. the important thing to get down is that you don't need as much distortion as most people use. if you use too much distortion your chords will just end up sounding noisy (and chances are anything else will too) im preferable of the basic triads and their inversions, i've noticed that if you triple track 4 note chords (like full 7ths) with a little bit of distortion on each guitar then even those can sound good.
When you're playing with alot of gain, arpeggiating the chords (while holding them down) will always sound better than straight up wailing on them. Applying a little palm mute might help too.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by xxdarrenxx
not True.

You can have 1 guitar play D5 power chord, and you can pitch axis on that, by playing Dmin7 sweeps or DMaj7 sweeps over it still implying a chord without all that **** gain you get with full chords.

Lol, I said Exclusively powerchords, what you doing there is cool, but its using two guitars to imply chords and not exclusively powerchords, I have no problem with using powerchords with a lea part over the top, or even powerchords on their own, provided they aren't used all the time, as some people seem to think.
I use mostly full chords when I write for my band, and we play post-hardcore. There's no reason you can't use full chords in genres that don't have them. However, you need to be prepared to tweak your amp to get the best sound.
try playing really slowly, sounds a lot more sparkly with high gain imo, although my favorite is A minor and barre chords of the same shape.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost