Does anyone know what Dev used guitar, amp and effects wise while recording the album "Infinity"? It's one of my favorite albums and I really low how his guitar sound on this album is heavy but super clear and precise without being overbearing.
That's his main live gear, and I've seen that vid quite a few times. I heard that he uses Peavey 5150s a lot, especially during the 90s. Plus, the sound on Infinity is a lot different than any of his newer guitar sounds or his live sound. There's just something about the sound on Infinity. And yes, Hevy Devy does rule.
For that album, he uses some esps with emg 81,85s. A morley wah. For his amps, he has his signal split between a Mesa Dual Recto, Stiletto Deuce, and he also has a rack amp, which I forgot what it is. He splits his signal with a Radial JD7 splitter.
On Infinity he used a Peavey 5150 (dunno what cab), an ESP Telecaster with dual EMG 81 pickups, and a Roland GP-100 preamp with some kind of power amp in addition to a bunch of delays, reverbs, etc. He did not use any Mesa Boogies, seven strings, etc on this album at all.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
On Infinity he used a Peavey 5150 (dunno what cab), an ESP Telecaster with dual EMG 81 pickups, and a Roland GP-100 preamp with some kind of power amp in addition to a bunch of delays, reverbs, etc. He did not use any Mesa Boogies, seven strings, etc on this album at all.
Yup, the cabs were Marshall I beleive. I saw a pic of him on stage with 5150's and 1960's.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Hmm...is sound on Infinity does sound brighter, like a 5150. Sweet. What does he use the Roland Preamp for?
if you've seen his youtube gear demo, he uses a large array of .. stuff to garner his signature tone.

he explains how he splits his signal into 3 different paths, one goes to a Dual rectifier, the other to a stiletto, and the other to what he describes as a 80's hair metal rack setup.

each path seems to have its own subtle bit of reverb and delays to it, and he does a lot of switching between amps for different situations..

recitifer does the chunky chording stuff, stiletto does the leads i think.

he explains it better here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLb7sj8ErS0

EDIT:

But that might just be his rig he used to use with SYL.
DTB might be using some more simpler rigs like the straight up 5150 and probably his arrays of delay and reverb.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Dec 20, 2008,
I've seen the vid of his gear demos, I have it on a guitar world dvd....i'm this close to being a Dev fanboy. >_>

But yea, SYL stuff is quite different, at least on records, since it's a bit crunchier and more metally, plus with The New Black it had to handle the low G of his sevens. Any idea what delay/echo/reverb he used on Infinity? The delays/echoes he's got going in tracks like Truth, Christine, Sit in the Mountain (that's off the EP of Infinity, you can download it from Hevy Devy records website), or for that matter like EVERY song is great; not overbearing and it fills in the sound so well.