I need a decent 4 string that is somewhere between 0-around 600. the cheaper the better. i plan to use it as my main bass with my Squier being it's backup so I need something reliable.
genre?

any favorite bass players? or bass guitarists?

what do you like about your squier, dislike about it?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
and sign at the bottom of the thread.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
He lives in Canada so I'd say Canadian dollars...

If you can find a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz, they run right around $650 American, so in Canadian money that'd be closer to $600 right? I'm not sure how devalued the American dollar is right now, I don't normally deal with the whole conversion rate.
I usually play alternative music. alt metal alt rock, that kinda stuff. I was thinking about Fender but I'm not too sure. Are they the main makers of bass guitars? I love being the unorthodox, unoriginal guy. So I like something thats not used by like a whole ton of people.
Quote by kabloo12
I usually play alternative music. alt metal alt rock, that kinda stuff. I was thinking about Fender but I'm not too sure. Are they the main makers of bass guitars? I love being the unorthodox, unoriginal guy. So I like something thats not used by like a whole ton of people.

Don't try and be unoriginal with how you look on stage. That's where your music comes in, and one of the reasons you're on stage in the first place.

Fenders are usually awesome, and they sound good -- which is why everyone uses them, and J basses in particular can get a variety of sounds and fit most genres. They're not the end-all of basses and there is no "main" company, just like guitars. However even people who don't play an instrument tend to know what Fender is as opposed to a brand like Warwick or Schecter.

$600 is a decent amount, so go to a local store and play some basses, try some MIM Fenders and I think some Schecters fall into that price range although I'm not a fan. Ibanez will have a lot of options for you too.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by FbSa
He lives in Canada so I'd say Canadian dollars...

If you can find a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz, they run right around $650 American, so in Canadian money that'd be closer to $600 right? I'm not sure how devalued the American dollar is right now, I don't normally deal with the whole conversion rate.

Opposite of what you're thinking. $650 American is close to $800 Canadian
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
go for ESP/LTD, I love them. A good 4-string is the Eclipse 404 (EC-404) or Surveyor 400. I like 5 string basses but if I chose to play a 4 string it would be one of those.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal