I play rock, thrash, blues, and i'm getting into jazz so i need a decent neck clean tone. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I don't have a problem with the Les Paul part, but i dislike the tone of my epiphone, and the color, i can't stand to look at it, i hate the color (ebony, i liked it at first.) If i sold it and waited until summer, I would have around $600-800. I am willing to buy used. I just need a breath of fresh air and have been really getting tired of my guitar, and an upgrade would be nice.
So here's what I've been thinking. I could buy a used Gibson LP (studio or classic), get a used Gibson SG, used Gibson Flying V (i love these), I could buy a MiJ Strat on ebay then put on a slimmer 22 fret neck and put some kind humbucker in the neck, I could just paint my Les Paul and put in new pups. Out of those, the SG is my least favorite but tone wise it might serve me the best. But the others seem so much better for everything else.
I'll be playing through a Peavey C30, and tone wise I like Gn'R, Van Halen, Hendrix, Wolfmother, Zeppelin, SRV, and Metallica's late 80's rhythm tone, but not there lead tone. So what should I do?
If I were you I'd try and find a used Epi Elitist or the Classic.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
sounds like a les paul would be good
i love the studio
mostly because its the cheapest one and if i was to get one id get that one
but they sound and play great from what ive seen
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
get a gibson flying v. you know you'll love it
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Schecter C-1 Classic
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
C-1 Classic, or an LTD EC-1000.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.