so does anyone here play one? and how should I start teaching myself?
love is love // return to dust
Buy one then get lessons.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Learn some easy catchy songs at first (such as Axel F. , Popcorn, Sweet Dreams, or Jump) then learn other things.

Pretty simple.

Also learn some soundcrafting theory(if playing with Analog/Virtual Analog or FM)
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Buy one then get lessons.

OMFGGZZ N0 SH1T??!!11!

seriously though. i dont really WANT lessons. ill take them if i need them but idk.
get a decent velocity sensitive one with at least 64 semi-weighted keys and a sustain pedal jack (you don't necessarily need a sustain pedal right away, but you will likely want onew eventually)

It's fairly easy to teach yourself unless you plan on playing virtuoso piano pieces or something. I reccomend working through piano for dummies. If you can get lessons for free/cheap through your school or something though, I suggest you take them.

Quote by DirtyMakik

Also learn some soundcrafting theory(if playing with Analog/Virtual Analog or FM)

You need to learn this for any kind of synthesis you use, not just subtractive (what most analog and VA synths are) and FM.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
the synth?

EDIT: You mean a keyboard controller?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Juno-D is a great Synth.
Learn music theory and it becomes 87x easier.

EDIT: I took this the wrong way.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
For the record, im aiming to do an Owl City kind of outfit. Nothing insane.
i second this, i want to learn too, not keyboard ****, but liek crazy aphex twin stuff, how do you do that? i mainly want it to make backing tracks for my guitar
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Quote by FFTLxx
Juno-D is a great Synth.
Learn music theory and it becomes 87x easier.

learning the piano is actually a great way to learn theory in and of itself, since it's really easy to pick up as you go along. While the Juno is agreat synth, they are pretty expensive, I would suggest a USB MIDI controller and some good VSTis (there are some really good free ones out there)

Quote by Comrade Curry
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/cs-80v/intro.html

GET THIS, it will change your outlook on synthesizers, it doesn't matter if you know what you're doing just buy that.

he's gonna need a MIDI controller first... and personally I'm not a fan of that plugin.

Last.fm
just watch a bunch of Ronald Jenkee videos on youtube... you'll get good in no time...

but seriously, it takes some skill to be a good keyboardist... just get one and mess around with it... if you're really serious learn some piano stuff and experiment
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
You need to learn this for any kind of synthesis you use, not just subtractive (what most analog and VA synths are) and FM.

You'd put a beginner on granular synthesis?

VA/FM a enough for a beginner.

and Additive is pretty simple.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Dec 19, 2008,
I'd say start by learning piano first. transition from piano to synth is of next to zero effort, and girls love it when you play them saucy classical pieces naked while they suck you co--

ahem

anyway, learn piano.
Quote by tancanada
Thats $250 bucks though. And its not a real synth even, just a computer program. I want the real thing first.

Like I said, get a USB MIDI controller (it's a keyboard that plugs into your comp and controls programs like that) that will give you a much broader pallete of available sounds and also allow you to use computer teaching programs like Practica Musica and whatnot.

Quote by DirtyMakik
You'd put a beginner on granular synthesis?

VA/FM a enough for a beginner

No, I'm just saying that whatever synth you get you need to learn how to design sounds for it. and BTW VA is not a type of synthesis, it's a type of programming that emulates voltage control, the type of synthesis is usually subtractive.

oh, and IMO, FM synthesis is A LOT more complex than granular synthesis.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Dec 19, 2008,
Quote by Comrade Curry
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/cs-80v/intro.html

GET THIS, it will change your outlook on synthesizers, it doesn't matter if you know what you're doing just buy that.

The CS-80 is a big fat win synth.

Or get a Minimoog V (fast current of water)

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
No, I'm just saying that whatever synth you get you need to learn how to design sounds for it. and BTW VA is not a type of synthesis, it's a type of programming that emulates voltage control, the type of synthesis is usually subtractive.

oh, and IMO, FM synthesis is A LOT more complex than granular synthesis.

To DX7s in the corner of the room: "Don't cry, he didn't mean it. "
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Dec 19, 2008,
get vsts..

i was just in blade runner land with the mini monsta moog..insane (and far superior to Minimoog v) also get Tera, FM8 and free synths there are lots of them such as mr ray 73

anyway learning...

triad major chords 1 at a time
scales..with least sharps flats first ie Aminor Cmaj
chromatic scales
major min arpeggios (easy on keys)
easy times such as im a believer and la bamba (chords left hand work out melody)
replicate guitar songs on keyboard as you know them and i gets interesting. anything too hard transpose to c/aminor on guitar pro.
Quote by DirtyMakik

To DX7s in the corner of the room: "Don't cry, he didn't mean it. "

I have a friend with one of those. They are ridiculously tedious to program (they do sound nice though)

Last.fm
The synth and the piano are the most popular instruments in the world. I'm sure there's a teacher somewhere near where you live. If you do get lessons, make sure your teacher doesn't teach from a book.