Sad songs are my favorite type of song, and i'm always trying to figure out why certain chord progressions, melodies, etc. spark that certain emotion.

Anyway, i've asked a lot of people and i've gotten nowhere. Are there any sad songs out there with ascending chord progressions? I can't think of one.
im feeling lyrics a lot here, otherwise its pretty relative. But uhh maybe say like "the drugs don't work" i feel is sad. That has kind of smooth movements with decent voicings and small intervals for chord changes. Maybe try to 'resolve' to a maj7 if thats possible or to a minor and use good movements? I dunno thats a hard questions and like i said rather relative.
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
Quote by Seney
What are you, gay?

Where'd you come from, the pit?
When shit hits the fan...step to the side of the fan.
Quote by Dean ML79
Where'd you come from, the pit?

thank you.

i just wonder if there are any sad songs that have ascending chord progressions. I'm not asking what makes them sound sad, i'm just asking about the chords.

Videotape by radiohead has a descending progression, Sentimental by Porcupine tree also has a descending progression, as well as most NIN songs.
i think its just that D minor. its most definitely the saddest chord...
A minor chord with an added 9th has a sad feeling to it. Include a Major V chord and write the melody with the natural minor. This is just my opinion though but it works for me.

Quote by 51VH50

It doesn't matter what key (if you transpose chromatically) you're in to affect the feel of the song.
Last edited by pwrmax at Dec 19, 2008,
I would suggest going with something like Gay Major, maybe.
Back to the pit!
Quote by 51VH50

D minor, the saddest of all keys.

Anyway just play something in a minor key, the I, IV, V progression in minor is pretty sad sounding imo, in D minor that would be Dm, Gm, Am (or A Major)
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
Quote by wtbskill91
D minor, the saddest of all keys.

Anyway just play something in a minor key, the I, IV, V progression in minor is pretty sad sounding imo, in D minor that would be Dm, Gm, Am (or A Major)

-insert eye roll here- Once a upon a time, yes, d minor was the saddest key. That was when well tempered tuning systems were around. In equal tempered tuning systems, to say d minor is the saddest key is nothing more than culture speaking; not an authentic perceptive phenomena.

[EDIT]

To answer the original posters question,
You're better of studying a bit of classical music or, maybe some modal harmony. Certain modes have certain emotions that we perceive when listening to. Aeolian of course, I would say, is the hands down saddest mode. But that doesn't mean a dorian chord progression or even an Lydian chord progression can't sound sad. A lot of factors are at work when a compose composes something sad. Firstly a mere grasp of a few theoretical concepts ( i.e. minor chords are sad, duh ) can yield the desired effect; however more than this a lit bit of inspiration plays a huge part. Chord progressions aside certain melodies have a 'sad' undertone to it. The reason for this to happen is a little bit of cultural association ( i.e. certain tunes and certain progressions are simply used so often in music we tend to intuitively associate them with certain moods. A good example of this would be a chromatic descent in classical music that we associate with death; listen to Dido's lament from Purcell's opera Dido and Aeneas) and bit of personal association ( I.e. certain chord progressions or melodies make you happy or sad based on your experiences. A form of nostalgia, you could say) and of course something more inexplicable. Our brains are simply hard wires to hear certain things with a lot of emotional overtones. I suppose that's where a composers inspiration plays a huge part in. Certain melodies come to you with a lot of emotional connotation and when you put it to paper and another person listens to it some of those emotions are just conveyed. So to answer your question in brief, it's a lot of things. A bit of theory and a bit of magic. So while an ascending progression might be going retrograde to what we might culturally associate something in that melody line might spark a certain emotion in certain individuals that is something very close to sorrow. Also, nothing like an ascending melody line that descends but never resolves to give you an uneasy feeling that one might associate with being sad. Listen to Wagner's Tristand and Isolde. lot's of rising melody lines, but the moment they descend and fail to resolve you feel like ****e.

P.S. this post is gay. I feel gay.
Last edited by MisquotedTeabag at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by Seney
What are you, gay?

I would suggest going with something like Gay Major, maybe.

Why do you bother?

To T/S
Generally sadder songs have a slower tempo and more legato like phrasing.

Some people would suggest minor progressions, which can help but really isn't needed. There are plenty of sad songs in major and happy songs in minor.
Minor chords are really helpfull too. ii chords and vi chords are really great for predominants, ii chords sound jazzier though (they're used as predominants in just about every jazz song). Hopefully that makes sense to you.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
-insert eye roll here- Once a upon a time, yes, d minor was the saddest key. That was when well tempered tuning systems were around. In equal tempered tuning systems, to say d minor is the saddest key is nothing more than culture speaking; not an authentic perceptive phenomena.

Fail. Stop failing so hard and type in "lick my love pump" over at youtube (Do it. It's relevant to the discussion)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Fail. Stop failing so hard and type in "lick my love pump" over at youtube (Do it. It's relevant to the discussion)

You are an idiot. Don't come up with any posts regarding this topic unless you have a valid argument. If I'd have wanted an opinion by many of the millions of morons on earth I'd go to someone I already know. I don't want to know you.
Quote by MisquotedTeabag
You are an idiot. Don't come up with any posts regarding this topic unless you have a valid argument. If I'd have wanted an opinion by many of the millions of morons on earth I'd go to someone I already know. I don't want to know you.

*sigh*

I'm going to spell this out for.

wtbskill91 made what is known as a "joke". This "joke", as they are called, also happens to be what is known as a "reference". A reference is a little more complicated, so I'll let Webster's do the talking...

Main Entry:
    1ref·er·ence Listen to the pronunciation of 1reference
Pronunciation:
    \ˈre-fərn(t)s, ˈre-f(ə-)rən(t)s\ 
Function:
    noun 
Date:

1: the act of referring or consulting
2: a bearing on a matter : relation <in reference to your recent letter>
3: something that refers

You then took said joke seriously, and posted a mildly condescending response--as follows...

I then remarked that you had "fail"ed to realize that the statement you responded to was a joke, and referred (see definition above) you to the relevant material: A scene from the movie This is Spinal Tap that can be found on youtube through the search term "lick my love pump".

If any of this confuses you, I can go over it again.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
*sigh*

I'm going to spell this out for.

wtbskill91 made what is known as a "joke". This "joke", as they are called, also happens to be what is known as a "reference". A reference is a little more complicated, so I'll let Webster's do the talking...

Main Entry:
1ref·er·ence Listen to the pronunciation of 1reference
Pronunciation:
\ˈre-fərn(t)s, ˈre-f(ə-)rən(t)s\
Function:
noun
Date:

1: the act of referring or consulting
2: a bearing on a matter : relation <in reference to your recent letter>
3: something that refers

You then took said joke seriously, and posted a mildly condescending response--as follows...

I then remarked that you had "fail"ed to realize that the statement you responded to was a joke, and referred (see definition above) you to the relevant material: A scene from the movie This is Spinal Tap that can be found on youtube through the search term "lick my love pump".

If any of this confuses you, I can go over it again.

Your lack of any credible IQ bellow the standards of most non human primates is getting in the way of our discourse. Do not presume to know the state of things without unambiguous justification to suggest otherwise. You either have Martian sense of humor or a Venusian grasp of the human mind; the latter being the obvious victim of improbability let me carry on to stay that when I stated I don't want to know you, I meant, I do NOT want to know you. Please refrain from any further comment as any stimulus of my curiosity at the true extend of your egoism would force me to read your comment thus fulfilling the above mentioned displeasure of having to know you.
None of the words contained in your post make sense in the context in which you have placed them (and some of the smaller ones are misspelled), and it is blatantly obvious you are parroting big words you've heard before in an effort to sound condescending. You responded to a joke as if it were serious, and the act of pointing it out (not even in a particularly rude way, as no one would interpret "fail" in this context to be hostile unless they had no experience whatsoever on the internet) caused you to fly off the handle. Get over it.
Quote by Archeo Avis
None of the words contained in your post make sense in the context in which you have placed them (and some of the smaller ones are misspelled), and it is blatantly obvious you are parroting big words you've heard before in an effort to sound condescending. You responded to a joke as if it were serious, and the act of pointing it out (not even in a particularly rude way, as no one would interpret "fail" in this context to be hostile unless they had no experience whatsoever on the internet) caused you to fly off the handle. Get over it.

You get over it, my friend. =) I just have a pathological abhorrence for blatant arrogance backed by nothing but a conceited ego and a half pint of beer. If I were to dictate the boundaries of a utilitarian society you would not exist. Please, don't waste my time. Spread your pearls of wisdom elsewhere.
Quote by MisquotedTeabag
You get over it, my friend. =) I just have a pathological abhorrence for blatant arrogance backed by nothing but a conceited ego and a half pint of beer. If I were to dictate the boundaries of a utilitarian society you would not exist. Please, don't waste my time. Spread your pearls of wisdom elsewhere.

I don't understand why you're doing this..

I know I'm contributing to the irrelavent nonsense already posted in this thread but I'd really like to know why you feel it necessary to be like this.
Mandatory gear list
Ibanez S470
Vox AD30VT
Vox V847

"There are people that I know won't hurt me. I call those people corpses."
To Archeo and Misquted Teabag

Communication Breakdown!!!

Lol

Archeo counter Joked Misquote's misunderstanding of the original Joke.

Misquote thought the original joke was real, which made Archeo's reference sound like "true fail" in given context by Teabag

So you 2 are going way too complex, and The smartest thing here is not to use the intellect of ur vocabulary which you both posses, but to let the testosterone drop and acknowledge....

.....Misunderstanding!!

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
We already know that it's a misunderstanding. The problem is that he can't suck it up and move on. And I object to my vocabulary being placed on his level. Every single word he's used has either been completely misused, or has several far more appropriate (but less impressive sounding) alternatives. He's a twelve year old who watches too much Frasier.
Quote by Archeo Avis
We already know that it's a misunderstanding. The problem is that he can't suck it up and move on. And I object to my vocabulary being placed on his level. Every single word he's used has either been completely misused, or has several far more appropriate (but less impressive sounding) alternatives. He's a twelve year old who watches too much Frasier.
Oh wow, I'm gonna use that one.

How about we start contributing to the thread?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I've seen a few ascending progressions in minor songs, mainly through the use of diminished chords as passing tones. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but if I think of one I'll get back to you.
To TS;

There are many "ascending chord progressions" which sound minor. Just play around with chords, and if it sound minor to you then go for it.

(Ts ignore what's written below)

Ah yes, I actually took the time to translate every hard english word to something I understand.
(Woohoo I learned more hard English words today )

And I agree with you. It's totally irrelevant.

Quote by misquoted teabag

Your lack of any credible IQ bellow the standards of most non human primates is getting in the way of our discourse. Do not presume to know the state of things without unambiguous justification to suggest otherwise. You either have Martian sense of humor or a Venusian grasp of the human mind; the latter being the obvious victim of improbability let me carry on to stay that when I stated I don't want to know you, I meant, I do NOT want to know you. Please refrain from any further comment as any stimulus of my curiosity at the true extend of your egoism would force me to read your comment thus fulfilling the above mentioned displeasure of having to know you.

I mean if you watched the link Archeo posted, then all these nice words (I like the bolded line the most, will use that for a song) then all this wasn't needed.

He just meant failed reference, as to you didn't saw the obvious quote from the musician's cult classic Spinal tap.

I mean my amps go to 11, So I know what i'm talking about.

(no flamebait attempt!)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 20, 2008,
Quote by pwrmax

It doesn't matter what key (if you transpose chromatically) you're in to affect the feel of the song.

Once I would have thought that this was the case, but someone brought to my attention that a tempo that is "in tune" with the frequency of the root of the key you're in will sound more consonant and satisfying then one that ignores the frequency/tempo relationship. Note - this is just speculation I've heard, but I think it's an interesting point.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Quote by Dmmrng

Are there any sad songs out there with ascending chord progressions? I can't think of one.

that's a good point actually - The bridge in "only women bleed" by alice cooper is ascending, but it's not a "sad" part of the song...

what about "house of the rising sun"? it's quite sad i think...
I understand it was a mere misunderstanding. But I thought this forum was about communicating knowledge not dashing out ambiguous gestures like 'failed' for the readers interpretation. Had truly enlightening my been his honest motive he would have not simply resort to some obscure, seemingly deep way of conveying whatever it is I missed and simply say it bluntly and to the point. His motives, I'm afraid were more driven by an ego the size and shape of the pentagon than any intention to clarify my lack of knowledge. If you haven't noticed generally I like to leave things well explained, without much equivocation, to the best of my ability and as much as communicating in a forum would allow. Not only did he not contribute towards the topic in any way he also managed to not be clear nor informative about my little misunderstanding. Quite honestly, I don't appreciate that kind of conduct and I will continue to treat it with hostility. If anyone has a problem with that report me to a moderator and have my account banned. If anyone has any point or argument they would like to contribute I would expect them to make it clear and legitimate and not resort to any sarcasm nor impertinent wit with the purpose of putting anyone down.
Quote by MisquotedTeabag
I understand it was a mere misunderstanding. But I thought this forum was about communicating knowledge not dashing out ambiguous gestures like 'failed' for the readers interpretation. Had truly enlightening my been his honest motive he would have not simply resort to some obscure, seemingly deep way of conveying whatever it is I missed and simply say it bluntly and to the point. His motives, I'm afraid were more driven by an ego the size and shape of the pentagon than any intention to clarify my lack of knowledge. If you haven't noticed generally I like to leave things well explained, without much equivocation, to the best of my ability and as much as communicating in a forum would allow. Not only did he not contribute towards the topic in any way he also managed to not be clear nor informative about my little misunderstanding. Quite honestly, I don't appreciate that kind of conduct and I will continue to treat it with hostility. If anyone has a problem with that report me to a moderator and have my account banned. If anyone has any point or argument they would like to contribute I would expect them to make it clear and legitimate and not resort to any sarcasm nor impertinent wit with the purpose of putting anyone down.

IT's easy mmmkay.

IT's just a forum, and he just made a joke. You didn't checked out the vid, thus ur reply was merely based on ur own fantasy. If you checked the vid, you would've understand the joke.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You want sad? Try the Andalusian Cadence (my favorite progression). In a minor key it goes i-VII-VI-V. It uses a major V, VI, and VII chord with a Minor i which means it combines notes from the natural and harmonic minor scales.
Quote by MisquotedTeabag

Don't presume to understand my motives. I fail to see how my response was at all ambiguous, since I directed you towards the source material. No rational person would have interpreted my response as anything more than mildly (and playfully) insulting, and the little (and semantically incorrect) tantrum you threw in response is just embarrassing. Nothing about them was "well explained", and all of them give the sense that you're some twelve year old parroting big words he heard on Frasier without any regard to their actual meaning. To anyone who actually knows what those words mean, your post was just nonsensical and confusing.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Dec 20, 2008,
The chorus of Creep by Stone Temple Pilots is quite sad and has an ascending bassline.

Actually, Creep by Radiohead is also a sad song which has an ascending chord progression.
Quote by MisquotedTeabag

What are you, the gayest person alive? You sound like charles winchester. The phrase "Dmin, the saddest key of them all" or anything like that is almost always a reference to a scene in spinal tap where the guitarist plays a sad song on piano. Then he says something like "Dm, the saddest key of all"

Seriously, stop being so lame and youtube lick my lovepump