I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I was wondering if it's safe to remove my pickup covers on my Epiphone Les Paul? Is there any risks, how do I do it, and it will give me more of a grunge-ish/punk sound right?

Thanks,

Jack
From what I heard, it gives a more bright sound without the covers. I also think that the covers are soldered onto the pickups, I guess you could break the solders.
yes u could break them , no i think they dont sound more 'grunge'
and btw they looklike **** under the covers
like with leftover glue and ****.
:P
its wax,
once you take the covers of (by holding your soldering iron on the solder until it comes loose enough to take of) the pickup will have wax all over it and will not sound my grungey..
Guess I would look for a dirty fingers pick up if I want that? By the way why does the pickup need wax?
It doesn't. The wax holds the cover on.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
It doesn't. The wax holds the cover on.

I thought the screws hold on the cover (Sorry, if I'm being naive). Would the wax affect the sound? I'm guessing not since the pups use magnetics for the sound transmission. Anyway I know you all hate to hear it, but the reason I asked was because I'm trying to get a somewhat punk/alternative sound out of it, like Blink-182 or Radiohead. Actually thats a really bad example, but I hope you understand what I mean. I thought the cover-less pickups would make it sound better on overdrive. I play on a Vox DA5, so I don't know if I'm just not tweaking the knobs right, or its the instrument. (Probably the player too lol).
I don't hate to hear that! Radiohead is probably in my top 5 favorite bands of all time with Blink being in the top 15 somewhere. Anyway..the sound will come more from your amp than from the pickups. And from a DA5, I doubt you're going to get much of a Radiohead tone.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Well, I saw a Radiohead's basement sessions, and they were using Epiphones and Vox equipment, I'm sure they were using crap loads of effect pedals too and the equipment was just for advertising. I said you probably hate to hear this, because I'm used to people like my older brothers giving me crap about those kind of bands, because their classic rock fanatics, and they're both f*cking amazing guitarists, so I generally have no right to argue with them. So usually I assume guitar experts are mainly inspired by classic rock.
Awesome, too bad they don't have anything on Trent Reznor, or Tom Delonge's Angels and Airwaves set up.