Hey,

Im looking to buy a small combo amp for bedroom practice. Something that has a nice overal sound. I don't need anything too loud, my house is fairly small.
Some of my favorite bands are Megadeth, Trivium and Iron maiden.
My gear right now is
- Ibanez Artist Ar105
- Behringer Blue Devil 112 Amp

My amp rght now is just to loud for the house even on the lowest volumes.

I dont really have any ideas right now so just any suggestions would be great. Also, I'm getting an Overdrive/Distortoin pedal soon, so probably an amp that would go good with that.

My budget is around $400 CDN

Thanks
Last edited by Bmag37 at Dec 20, 2008,
For bands like Trivium and Megadeth would It be better to go tube or solid state, or would it really matter?
Quote by Bmag37
For bands like Trivium and Megadeth would It be better to go tube or solid state, or would it really matter?

well typically tube just sounds better(not always the case, there are plenty of solid states/hybrids that sound a thousand times better than tube amps, for instince, b.b. king used and still uses solid state amps, and he has brilliant tone, saw him live)
Quote by stratdud39
uhhh whats CDN and what 400 bucks of it convert to USD???

the CDN is pretty much equal to USD now

Also, to answer the SS or tube question for your genres, its a lot of preference, tubes amps are generally better, but its what sounds good to you
Quote by jarudy
the CDN is pretty much equal to USD now

Also, to answer the SS or tube question for your genres, its a lot of preference, tubes amps are generally better, but its what sounds good to you

oh
so then how the hell could he afford a krank????
Yeah CDN (Canadian Dollars) is at about o.82 American dollars. So 400$CDN would be about $329 US dollars. I might actually be able to go a little bit higher then that so anying under 400$ US.
The Blackheart Little Giant sounds too thin. However, if your not looking for a great sound, it will do for you. Just throw an OD pedal in front of it and you will get your metal tones.
i tried a damage control demonizer on my blackheart amp and BOOM i got my metal tones but i didnt buy the demonizer cuz its too expensive ($300 for the pedal) so i just bought a metal muff but it still cant match the metal tones i got in my peavey triple xxx
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Would I be able to play it quietly with it still sounding good? And could I use it for maybe a couple small gigs?
Quote by Bmag37
Would I be able to play it quietly with it still sounding good? And could I use it for maybe a couple small gigs?

what amp the blackheart???
feel free to add me
yea but its voiced only for classic rock hard rock and blues but watch some vids on youtube
but if you put a good distortion pedal infront of it you could get some good trash metal sound but only trash metal no Br00t4lzzzzz cookie monster metal.
feel free to add me
Are there any other amps in that price range that are a little bit better suited for metal?
Quote by Bmag37
That would be great but i think it would be a little bit to loud to play at home wouldn't it?

if you have an attenuator you could play the amps distortion at low volumes
feel free to add me
Quote by Bmag37
That would be great but i think it would be a little bit to loud to play at home wouldn't it?

depends on how "too loud" is...

See in my household, its only too loud when your brother in the basement claims that the sound is so loud and brutal it makes his giggleberries hurt. Other people say its too loud when the neighbors start calling the po-po.. fockin pussies...
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
if you have an attenuator you could play the amps distortion at low volumes

I don't have one, but how much would it cost to get one?

^^ To loud in my house is when my parents can hear it from the next room So I really can't get anything too loud.
Last edited by Bmag37 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by Bmag37
I don't have one, but how much would it cost to get one?

^^ To loud in my house is when my parents can hear it from the next room So I really can't get anything too loud.

an attenuator costs about $300ish
thats not too loud i play my blackheart in my room and my parents dont mind if they could hear it downstairs
feel free to add me
I am and i always will be a fender person. and you can get a nice fender practice amp for around 150.
I dont know why but i just love the basic distortion you get on them. Dont even need pedals. YOu can get fenders to sound so smoothe. And the sad thing is i play **** like All that remains, B - D - M, Shadows fall. Whod think a fender would sound good on that ****?

On another amp, Crate. Make nice amps. i had a 15 watt crate that just had such sweet sounds. Two decent suggestions IMO(i must add)
Life Sucks. Get over it.
If you want a low wattage amp for metal, you are going to have to go SS.
5 watt tube amps, etc. are just not good for metal without a heck of a distortion pedal.

Go for a Peavey Vypyr 15 or 30, or a Roland Cube 30x or Microcube.

Either one of those will give you much better metal tones than any low wattage tube amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well I went to the Guitar store yesterday, and I tried out the Blackheart Handsome Devil combo and the Crate V18 and I loved them both. The Blackheart was a little bit out of my budget though.

Do you think the crate would be able to do metal if I had a distortion pedal with it? Also what pedals could I get for less then 100$ that could give me that tone?