Ok my bandmember keeps telling me i need a half stack to play gigs when i really only think i need a good combo amp, whos right here? And by gigs im obviously not talking about huge arenas or anything
You're fine with a combo, especially since most places mic your amp anyway.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Depends on the size of the place.

I've gigged to about a hundred people with my Marshall MG15CD unmic'd with a lead guitarist, bassist and loud drummer and was heard.

I've played in front of several hundred people unmic'd with my Peavey Valveking 112 which is 50w.

Your band mate is wrong, because you don't NEED a half stack unless you're playing metal and/or prefer the tone of four speakers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
you only need a good combo.
its more of a 'WHAT DO U WANT'
but i would say a combo is the best way
(even though i choose a stack- i feel like a get more headroom and **** )
lol
you could suffice with a 1x12 combo as long as your mic'ed. sure a half stack has more of a presence on stage and looks cooler, but in reality all it is is unnecessary and a pain to lug around.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
a half stack just says how many speakers an amp has...such that if you showed up with a 50 watt combo, and some one else a 15 watt half stack, guess who would have a louder sound?
All you need is a good combo, I personally use a Head/cab set up, but my cab is only a 212, and honestly it gets so loud I can drown out an entire band. So in answer you only need a 212 for just about anything.
I'd go with a halfstack anyway, because I like to be able to know I can get it loud enough, and then some. Although you wouldn't need a hugely powerful amp, a 100watt solid state with a 4x12 cab would be loud enough, and a 50watt full valve would do it easily.
But honestly, a 2x12 100watt combo could easily go unmic'd unless your doing a large gig.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Isn't the Epiphone valve Jr. a half stack, that's 5w! Get it show that band member wot wot.
And remember that a 4x12 isn't necessarily louder than a 2x12.
Yes, it'll spread the sound further, but the 2x12 still has close to the same
amount of decibels coming out of it.
And in most venues you can mic your amp anyways, so you could use a 1x12 for all
size matters.
Half/full stacks look more hardcore, and thats about it.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
And remember that a 4x12 isn't necessarily louder than a 2x12.
Yes, it'll spread the sound further, but the 2x12 still has close to the same
amount of decibels coming out of it.
And in most venues you can mic your amp anyways, so you could use a 1x12 for all
size matters.
Half/full stacks look more hardcore, and thats about it.

The 4x12 vs. 2x12 cab decision is more of a preference of how much bass response you want/need I'd say. Remember mics go to PA's which usually aren't on the ground so you're not going to get the punchiness you would normally get from a 4x12.