Cliffnotes: Just built a comp. Hard drive I bought for it is SATA, and works fine. However, I'm trying to use my old HD in it as well which is IDE. I have it hooked up properly (i think). The computer boots up but it does not recognize my old hard drive, and BIOS doesn't show it either. I'm kind of at a loss. I really need both drives on here.

Any ideas of something I may have missed?
call us nerds and ask for our help? gfy

edit: ehhhhhhaahhhhhhh I'm just playin, but I have no idea
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Quote by drewfromutah
You're not a real nerd if you get offended by being called a nerd.

GTFO poser.

well now i don't take it back, you're a genuine ass
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
try only using the IDE drive, maybe try changing up the pin connectors
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Just a thought, but did you check to see if both SATA and IDE are enabled in the BIOS? I've never used SATA and IDE at the same time, but most mobo's should have the ability to turn on both in the bios.
Possibly not compatible with your Motherboard?

Did you make sure your booting primarily from the hard drive and not from somewhere else?
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
the easiest thing to do would be to get a USB adapter for it and use it as an external drive. They cost like $20
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
So you have it on the same ribbon as a CD drive? Or did you replace the CD drive with it?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Check out your motherboard's manual. Make sure you have the drives connected to the right pins and that the BIOS is configured properly. You can definitely run both SATA and IDE hard drives simultaneously, or at least you can on my mobo.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
don't use the USB method, everything will slow down as a result. You need a hard disk in there somewhere.
Quote by J C
don't use the USB method, everything will slow down as a result. You need a hard disk in there somewhere.

he has a SATA HD. I'm guessing he wants to use this one as a secondary HD, and doing that via USB 2.0 is fine.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
he has a SATA HD. I'm guessing he wants to use this one as a secondary HD, and doing that via USB 2.0 is fine.

Correct. It's really weird. I set up the jumpers properly for it to be a secondary drive. But when I go into BIOS it's acting like it's not there. Has to be a mobo problem...maybe
Quote by drewfromutah
Correct. It's really weird. I set up the jumpers properly for it to be a secondary drive. But when I go into BIOS it's acting like it's not there. Has to be a mobo problem...maybe

a lot of mobos can't use SATA and IDE at the same time, and some of them can't use SATA at all.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
a lot of mobos can't use SATA and IDE at the same time, and some of them can't use SATA at all.

Almost all mobos can, only either the first of the SATA mobos or **** ones can't.

Seeing as you don't have the DVD drive on there, not sure, I think the pin should be on master then (For that line), and in the BIOS, make sure (If you can get it to detect) the boot sequence is set to 1 - SATA HDD. 2 - IDE Drive... I have a Dell computer and did this (But my DVD was on the IDE), and it worked straight away, which is surprising for a Dell.

Just make sure all the pins and such are working properly, and that if you have more than 1 IDE plug on your mobo, it's connected to the 1st one. Also check your BIOS for any features regarding IDE devices.
I'd be able to help more if I were actually there, I suck at helping blindly.

Quote by drewfromutah

Seeing as it's on it's own ribbon, it might need to be set to master on the jumpers, but in the BIOS set to be a secondary boot device.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Dec 20, 2008,